!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coniston  (Read 7282 times)

Hailstone and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Coniston
« on: December 02, 2018, 07:37:10 PM »
Following on from my introductory post, http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43622.msg540875#msg540875 here's the current state of progress with my little project.

Since my introductory post I've now completed almost all of the tracklaying and initial wiring so now I can start to play conduct exhaustive testing  :no:

In between testing, I really need to pay very strict attention to sorting the rats nest of wires and cables, mostly under the board but some on top for now so I can connect up the controller. I have loomed up the main power feeds and point motor cables but have since added quite a lot of droppers dangling down for inter-board connections, etc.
For the time being, where tracks cross the baseboard joins I've just linked them with standard rail joiners, pending my decision on how I intend to fix the rail ends properly.

Other than sorting the wiring properly and sorting the baseboard joins, the next tasks will be filling in the missing sleepers at the track joints and starting on ballasting.

Here's a piccie of the current state of play, one month on since I ordered the materials and track;

This is looking from the station approach end where the line comes up from Foxfield on the Cumbrian Coast line, whilst the far end is a single line up to a slate wharf near the mines.

The Black 5 with two carriages is sitting where the end of platform one will be To the right of that the parallel line is platform two whilst the somewhat wiggly one to the right of that is platform three. That was somewhat tortuously laid in the original, to the extent that operators only used it if there was no choice, but mine's a bit more so at the far end due to limitations in the turnouts available, unfortunately the FR and LMS didn't use Peco turnouts so I've had to make the best fit I can.
The dreaded yellow sticky to the right of the Black 5 is where the signal box will go.

To the left of the Black 5 is the goods yard, the first siding being to the goods shed, the second being general freight with a slate loading wharf at the far end. The third, stubby, one is the cattle landing and the leftmost is the coal yard.

Everything further to the left is the fiddle yard. The uneven spacing of the loops is due to the baseboard joins, across which I needed to avoid laying turnouts. The y-shaped track pointing towards, but not meeting, the goods yard throat is a turning "Y", intended to represent Millom. Locomotives that were too long for the turntable were sent light engine to use the larger table there. Although the end of the "Y" appears close to the goods yard it will be more than adequately concealed by the 30' bank that runs close along the edge of the yard.

In the immediate foreground is the one area I haven't fixed the track down, the loco yard, because I haven't yet decided how I want to do the turntable so I don't want to fix the track and restrict my options for that.

The "ledge" framing at the front is to allow me to build the banking and retaining walls that form the eastern boundary of the site, whilst the hole at the far end  is because the station vehicular approach slopes up from below track level, the narrow strip of trackbed under the furthest turnout being the bridge over Station Road.

This ledge is proving handy during testing, I've currently got all the point motor cables pinned along it - although it'll be a lot easier to operate them when I get the control panel built. It's a bit like playing a demented piano at present  :D

All in all, pretty satisfactory progress for the first month but I doubt that it'll be as fast from here on in.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Coniston
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »
Thanks for the update, Chris. Some rapid progress being made and a pic always helps us see what you're at. I'll give it a few posts to see if anyone comments on one of my pet worries before I say anything (how about that for being enigmatic?)

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 08:01:03 PM »
Wish mine had progressed that much in a month Chris 🤞over Christmas will go well for me.

Looking good, I reckon Mick might be concerned about how close to the board edge that curve is?????

Good luck with progress

Craig

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 08:05:02 PM »
Thank you for the update, Chris.  It sure looks like Coniston to me.

Thanks for the update, Chris. Some rapid progress being made and a pic always helps us see what you're at. I'll give it a few posts to see if anyone comments on one of my pet worries before I say anything (how about that for being enigmatic?

Perchance a train ending up in Coniston Water, NPN?

Great to see a Furness line in 'N'.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »
Looking good to me.
I canít think what NN is so worried about  :doh:
But yes, I do think some of that track is precariously close to the edge. You just canít trust those N gauge trains not to take an unexpected leap of faith.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
Thank you for the update, Chris.  It sure looks like Coniston to me.

Thanks for the update, Chris. Some rapid progress being made and a pic always helps us see what you're at. I'll give it a few posts to see if anyone comments on one of my pet worries before I say anything (how about that for being enigmatic?

Perchance a train ending up in Coniston Water, NPN?

It'd have to be going a a hell of a lick - Coniston Waters' about half a mile away  :no:

I'm not too concerned about the closeness to the edge, because it'll be contained by the sides of the scenery or, failing that, I'll put "catch fencing" in.

The eastern edge of the station is fenced along the top of the bank - I'll make sure I make that fence functional as well as visual so it'll catch any errant stock, which won't be travelling at any great speed anyway.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:34:50 PM by chrism »

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »
Wow.  All that in a month!  How long in the planning?  I can certainly recognise the track plan.  I guess the fiddle yard loops are long enough, at least for the traffic the line really carried.  I appreciate why you have added the triangle.  My own inclination would be to turn locos by hand and use the freed up space to develop the scenery.  But it is your layout, and the comment is made in that spirit

Years ago, I had vague ideas of using the location if not the full plan as the basis for a model.  From memory I think I was going to do a "just supposing" to continue the line towards Elterwater and/or Ambleside to connect with another theoretical line from Windermere to Keswick via Grasmere.  In the end I turned my attention to the western end of North Wales and built 2 successive termini on that theme - one, Abersoch being on the exhibition circuit for a some  years including Aly Paly in 2001.

Have you seen the booklet  "The Coniston Railway" published by the Cumbrian Railway Association some years ago?  It may be available somewhere.  Worth finding if you have not seen it.  It also appeared in the Railway Modeller as Prototype Station Plans in Sept 1962.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 09:22:54 PM »

a quick search

"The Coniston Railway" published by the Cumbrian Railway Association

shows

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/the-coniston-railway/ where to buy

http://www.cumbrianrailways.org.uk/books.html

waterstones
amazon

all interesting and i was thinking of paying a long overdue visit to the lakes next year, any library may help
blue / grey era diesels / electrics and suitable stock

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 09:34:13 PM »
Wow.  All that in a month!  How long in the planning? 

About another month tops  :D

I can certainly recognise the track plan.  I guess the fiddle yard loops are long enough, at least for the traffic the line really carried.

Should be more than adequate, I think.

I appreciate why you have added the triangle.  My own inclination would be to turn locos by hand and use the freed up space to develop the scenery. 

All scenery behind the station area just goes up, and up, and up  :D
Might as well make use of the space below it.

Years ago, I had vague ideas of using the location if not the full plan as the basis for a model.  From memory I think I was going to do a "just supposing" to continue the line towards Elterwater

There was actually a plan to do that - but it was never built.

Have you seen the booklet  "The Coniston Railway" published by the Cumbrian Railway Association some years ago? 

Hehe, where do you think I got the idea  :bounce:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 10:17:24 AM »

I'm not too concerned about the closeness to the edge, because it'll be contained by the sides of the scenery or, failing that, I'll put "catch fencing" in.

The eastern edge of the station is fenced along the top of the bank - I'll make sure I make that fence functional as well as visual so it'll catch any errant stock, which won't be travelling at any great speed anyway.

Glad to see you have already taken it into account. As you can see from various comments (and having dropped a class 37) I have a reputation for worrying about it :angel:

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 11:14:11 AM »
and having dropped a class 37

At least they don't have side rods to bend,  just buffers and steps to break off - and bogies, I guess, if one's really unlucky.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »
and having dropped a class 37

At least they don't have side rods to bend,  just buffers and steps to break off - and bogies, I guess, if one's really unlucky.

But diseasels only make up about 52% of my loco fleet, Chris (soon to be redressed with the addition of at least one BR GWR Mogul ex DJ Models and at least one RevolutioN/Sonic class 56xx :D). I just caught the 37 with a jumper cuff. Not done it since!

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »
Nice start to the layout, I like the plan all you can want for interesting running. Look forward to watching your progress.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Shropshire Lad

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 09:39:56 PM »
Great progress! Looks good. I take it you've worked out some switching or a return loop unit, if using DCC, for the Y.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 07:17:23 AM »
I like the plan all you can want for interesting running.

Certainly is - I've counted no less than ten alternative pathways from one end of the station to the other.
Eleven for a short loco if you include reversing up the headshunt, forward onto the turntable, round on the table and out through the loco shed  ;)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything