!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Weston  (Read 3967 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: Weston
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2019, 07:44:48 PM »
I ran my Midland Pullman on Weston for the first time today. It is far and away my favourite train, but I haven't run it for ages, so I thought it was worthy of a short video  :D
At the end I home in on the two tunnels. These were just black plastic when I bought the layout, were loose, with extensive damage to the scenery around them. They have now been painted to look like stone and I have been slowly building them up and again. I have also added an experimental 3D backscene to that end, and am very pleased with the result so far but I have a bit more to do to it yet.
The horrible modern building has now been removed, and I am currently building something much nicer to fill the space.
I worked out what I am going to to do for backscenes today as well, so lots of projects under way at the moment!

Oh and we now have music in the railway room too, which I can play as loud as I like without getting shouted at to TURN IT DOWN!  :claphappy:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2019, 09:30:45 PM »
That will get @Bealman all unnecessary ;D

As for that Deep Purple - TURN IT DOWN!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2019, 10:44:27 PM »
Cool video! BP! BP!!  :drool:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2019, 08:18:18 PM »
 :hellosign:.  Very very nice Mike, looking good
         regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2019, 04:11:11 PM »

No  :P
I'll treat you to some Uriah Heep next time  :D

I must admit that I am "playing trains" much more with this layout. I love just sitting at the front watching three trains go round  :thumbsup:

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2019, 05:26:23 PM »
Those baseboards look bomb-proof :)

Heavy metal music for heavy wood baseboards?

Best regards,

Joe

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »
Those baseboards look bomb-proof :)

Yeah they weigh a ton Joe.
The two halves will have to be boxed up separately to take to shows as my missus can’t lift them with me when they are coffined together.
That strip along the front is going to become a canal with lock gates, and a wharf beside the station platform.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »

No  :P
I'll treat you to some Uriah Heep next time  :D

Demons & Wizards, please :thumbsup:

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2019, 04:55:59 PM »
Demons & Wizards, please :thumbsup:
I'll see what can be arranged.
I finally managed to buy a King in BR express blue to pull my crimson and cream Collets last night, after about six months of trying.
Hopefully I'll put another little video together when it arrives.

Work on the new creamery building has ground to a bit of a halt at the moment as we are having a lot of work done in the house.
We sold our conservatory a week ago, ten quid buy it now on ebay, buyer dismantles and collects - it sold in less than an hour and went the next day!
New French doors going in any day.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2019, 06:14:19 PM »
Damn! I dropped one of my Collett coaches and the pin holding one of the bogies has snapped  :veryangry:
Does anybody know where I can get spares please?
I looked on DCC Supplies but nothing  :(

Offline wookie

• Awards
Re: Weston End
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2019, 06:33:48 PM »
No ideas then anybody?
I have another (much worse) problem now....
My new express blue King has arrived, and it is immaculate.....apart that is, from the fact that the screw which secures the front bogey in place but lets it float has sheered off, and somebody has glued the bogey back on!
Result is that the wheels ride high and don't sit on the rails!

It looks to me like the screw needs to be drilled out, and then a new thread recut.
Anybody got any ideas who could do it? I have emailed BR Lines as my first port of call, but I know that they usually have a long waiting list.
The seller has agreed to pay. He had no idea, he just got it from a house clearance.
I'm reluctant to bung it back for a refund as I waited so long to find one. It does actually run fine, and looks ok until you look really close or take photos - and no derailing front bogey  :smiley-laughing:

Offline wookie

• Awards
Re: Weston End
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2019, 04:47:56 PM »
No posts for nearly a month but I have been busy busy busy!
The bodged blue King went back to the seller and I have since picked up another one in lovely condition.
I have made leaps and bounds on Weston, with lots of new buildings and scenery, plus more stock to be able to run it in 1950 era, so first a quick video overview.....

....complete with Uriah Heep as promised. Sadly I can't find my Demons & Wizards CD - I've just changed my car, hope I didn't leave it in the old one   :(
As you can see, I have picked up a railcar in crimson & cream, and a nice Manor in lined black, which I understand is a mixed traffic loco.

On the subject of liveries I have a query - I have also bought a B set in BR crimson, but I can't see much difference between this and the Collett in BR maroon. Are they in the wrong box, or is it correct?

On the layout, I have stripped off the old damaged and faded backscene and bodg fitted a new one. At the left end the scenery is home made, blending into Peco backscenes. I scanned them first, then printed some extras and cut them up to be able to fit in what I wanted where I wanted it.
The modern building on the siding has gone, and been replaced with a big old warehouse which is now a Creamery. I scaled down the Scalescenes Creamery kit given free as a OO model in the last Hornby magazine and bodg expertly fitted it into the front of the warehouse. I'm pleased with the result.

It looks good with one of the warehouses from Wookery stood next to it. I might build a new one and work it into the side of the creamery as an extension.
Two low profile warehouses have been built to sit behind it, together with one of Nick Dale's excellent low profile buildings.
The rest of the buildings along the back have just been placed there for effect, they will either be reworked or scrapped.
The creation that I am REALLY proud of is the depot building. Remember it on the layout when I bought it?

Badly damaged, and incorrectly built, with no entrance from the platform.
Well, I cut it apart, made new templates from the walls, recovered them in red brick paper, fitted stone lintels and sills, coyne stones on the corners, and retiled the roofs:

It is the nearest that I have got to a scratch build. I'm delighted with it, but what to use it for now?
My original idea was a BRS rail depot, but I'm not sure that they existed - it was British ROAD Services after all.  :D
Plus there aren't really any suitable RTR BRS vehicles for parcels traffic.
It doesn't really lend itself to a goods yard as no outside storage space and not much ground floor warehousing.
Ideas anybody?

Down at the town end, I have decided to use a couple of buildings originally built for Wookery to save time, namely the three storey terraced houses and the low relief terraced house backs. I need to get as much done as quickly as possible as I can, bearing in mind the layout is booked for it's first show in October.

I am currently building a row of High Street shops, which as you can see are nearly finished - complete with products inside the stores.
The station at the end is going to be my next project as I intend to give it the full revamp treatment. Hopefully it will turn out as good as the depot did.
I'm hoping to fit a six storey hotel in between the station and the shops, with more houses and corner shops in front.

That's about it, I think!
Constructive comments and advice welcome

Offline sp1

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2019, 06:18:44 PM »
That refurbished building looks like a suitable candidate for the ‘Weston Widget Company’ - doesn’t every layout need a widget factory?

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »
Thanks for the video. Scenics and structures look good too. Somebody will give comments on br maroon 50s ex gw livery. Karhedron, mick newport nobby maybe best bet. Hailstone. Thanks again

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2019, 07:39:24 PM »
If the B set coach were in crimson it probably wouldn't be lined out, so it looks like a wrong box job to me.

Norman

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal