!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Weston  (Read 4075 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Weston
« on: November 30, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »
Hello chaps
Progress on Wookery has ground to a halt recently as I have had a major project underway building a new summerhouse. We had one in our last house, almost brand new, and had to leave it when we sold, and we loved it so much. So, we now have a new one here, slightly smaller, but still lovely. Five years down the road I found building it much tougher work!

Anyway, the subject of this thread.....
Now that we have retired from selling at the shows, I need a layout to be taken out on the road. Wookery, even when finished, will be too big to go in my car, and it has too much fragile detail anyway, I would be terrified of it getting damaged.

My boxed shunting layout has been to quite a few shows but doesnít attract a lot of interest - most show visitors seem to just enjoy watching long trains run round.

So, I need a layout. I donít have the time to build one from scratch, so I have bought a retired exhibition layout and we are going on a five hour round trip tomorrow to collect it. It is 9í x 3í and has tremendous operational scope. It was originally built by a club to what looks to be an exceptionally good standard.
It is somewhat tired though, with many buildings and scenic items looking a bit shabby, so it will get a pretty complete scenic makeover- Iím hoping to have it ready for our club show next June. I hope this qualifies it for this section of the forum!
Now then, it needs a name! It will be BR WR 1965ish again, bordering SR as well this time as I have been picking up green coaches 😋
It has a twin mainline plus branch and goods, with a station at one end on the curve.
The original name incorporates ď......ENDĒ and I would quite like to keep that in view of the station location. I thought of Bagley End, but Google tells me there is place of that name in Peterborough. Iíd like something with a West Country ring to it.

Suggestions please guys.

Photos in a couple of days 😋
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 07:12:23 PM by wookie »

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • Awards
Re: New layout
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 02:03:51 PM »
'TOR END'
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:47:39 PM »
CULLHAMPTON END?
Mix of Okehampton and Cullompton, both in Devon

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:45:47 PM »
Names such as Wood End and West End are fairly widespread throughout England.  It usually means that when the name was given, probably around the time of the Domesday Book, they were at the end of a road, but most will have grown and connected to other places in the centuries since then.  There is certainly plenty of scope for you to use your imagination.  How about Oak End or Moor End?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »
Lands End, you can't get much more West Country than that  :smiley-laughing: I'll get me coat :laugh3:
Be careful whose toes you step on, they might be attached to the foot that kicks your backside in the future!

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:50:37 PM »
 ::)

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »
Uoo  arrh  end,     I  be say that cos I be born in zummerzet

Zummerzend

Cyder end

Wessex west end.

King Arthurs end

The End...  Well I need to get ready to Go to the MRC

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 06:14:05 PM »
Going on how this hobby of ours works, how about 'Overspend' ?  Seriously, rather than something 'end', why not 'somethingend'?  ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I really like the simplicity of West End but feel it may be just a little too generic.
However, a progression of it to WESTON END really strikes an appealing note.
Iíve checked and there are no places called this, and I like the implied possible connection to Weston Super Mare.
What do you reckon?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »
Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 11:02:11 PM »
I do like that, not just because it sounds right.  But because I used to live just outside Weston super mud

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 09:23:32 AM »
Sounds like D1074 and I believe you are partial to these locomotives!

But an ideal name for a layout set in the West Country.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline wookie

• Awards
Weston End
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 08:52:23 PM »
Well, thanks for your suggestions guys. As you can see, I have settled on WESTON END.
As promised, here are some photos taken today in the new summerhouse, one half on the table at a time.
Tomorrow some friends from the club are coming round and we will set it up properly in our lounge and try to make some sense of the controls. There seem to be extensive isolated sections, but I don't understand the switches  :o More pictures tomorrow  :D

This will be 1965 themed, but I want to be able to model 1955 in the near future, with possibly pre-war long term.

LEFT SIDE

Control box

Fiddle Yard

Those backscene factories will definitely have to go, too modern.

The building with the silos is curiously signed up as a freight forwarding company! My feeling is that it is too modern. What do you think? Could it perhaps be converted to a Dairy? It MUST be too modern for 1955?

A close up

The diesel depot, two Ratio kits I believe? I like it, and it is fine for now as 1965, and would scrape through for 1955 I think as a new build. Later I may have to change it to a steam depot pressed into diesel service.
The signal box has lost its roof and will either be re-roofed or replaced.

That corner hill lifts off for access. Both tunnel mouths are loose and clearly need work.
That stupid flat house will be replaced with a low profile one or perhaps the road junction used as a building plot for a full house.

RIGHT SIDE

Right control panel is for the goods sidings. The halves of the fiddle yard appear to be separately controlled. I hope that this doesn't mean a dash from end to end!

Fiddle yard view. I love the way the upper line comes out over the lower fiddle, in order to keep a reasonable radius to the curve.

I quite like the low profile Metcalfe station building on the right, with the platforms on the lower level, but don't like the flat profile roofing - I will re-cover it with Scalescenes tiles.
All the buildings to the left on the sidescene will be demolished and a grand hotel built, with possibly a cinema next door if space permits.
I like the plastic kit church at the back, I haven't seen it before anywhere. Everything else will go, and be replaced with some High Street shops.

Most of those back scene houses will be replaced.
The Royal Mail building is another uncertainty. My initial response was to demolish it and build a goods shed, but the track/road combination doesn't fit with that idea. I may just re-skin it, re-roof it and reallocate it to goods.

That factory to the left is absolute cr rubbish and will be replaced. I rather like the resin Art Deco signal box  :D

The general idea is to get it all running, then make repairs to existing structures/scenics so that it is showable, then replace things section by section.

It has taken me ages to prepare this post, I hope you enjoy it  :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:54:14 PM by wookie »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Weston End
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »
Looks really quite nice to me.
With a bit of sprucing up itíll look top notch I think.
Keep the updates coming as you progress.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Weston End
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 09:05:34 PM »
Great pictures and a very interesting post; thank you.

This will be 1965 themed, but I want to be able to model 1955 in the near future, with possibly pre-war long term.

Yes, please, to the pre-war era!  The GWR roundel looks fantastic on everything ... except locomotives (in my opinion).

Thanks again.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal