!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lurker Unlurking  (Read 555 times)

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Lurker Unlurking
« on: November 25, 2018, 09:04:45 PM »
Hi all,

the name's Chris, from South Cumbria.

I've been lurking for a while, picked up a lot of useful snippets so I thought it was about time I signed up.

I haven't done any railway modelling for a very long time - it's approaching 40 years, I guess, since I took over my parents' loft and filled it up with all sorts of odd-shaped baseboards covered in various iterations of OO gauge layouts which culminated in an attempt at a recreation of Princetown station n Dartmoor. However, I then got involved in the real thing as a volunteer at the Watercress Line and no longer had time to do anything smaller than 305mm/ft, let alone N Gauge.

Since I've now retired to South Cumbria I've been keeping an eye out for anything local which might interest me and my local railway modelling club caught my eye, in particular because they have a layout of the local town in its heyday. I went along to have a look, decided they were a nice bunch of guys and joined.

As well as helping on their (our, I suppose, now I've joined the club) layouts I felt I needed a project of my own and a book about the now long closed Coniston Railway looked like it could provide what I wanted. Coniston station itself looked rather interesting and I worked out that, with a little "modeller's licence" at either end, I could fit it all into 8' x 3' if I switched to N gauge, so that's what I've started on.
It's a surprisingly complicated layout for a single-track branch terminus with a single track headshunt disappearing out of the other end to a copper and slate loading wharf up the valley - there are three platforms plus an additional runround loop but the entrance throat includes no less than three sets of crossover points so when I counted them up I found there are ten different ways of getting from one end to the other !!! In addition, there's a small 3 siding goods yard and a small loco shed and 42' turntable, all jammed into a "shelf" on the fellside above the town.

So far, I've built the baseboard (in 3 sections so it's transportable), bought the track, laid it out to see how it best fits the real track layout plan (with consideration taken for the baseboard joins and that neither the Furness Railway nor the LMS used Peco points) and I have now started tracklaying and wiring.

That'll keep me busy  ;)

KRs
Chris

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Lurker Unlurking
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »
Welcome aboard.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »
Welcome aboard, Chris.

I like the Coniston branch and have a plan in my head based on Torver.

I look forward to seeing your layout progressing.  As you say, Coniston was quite a complicated location.

All best wishes.

John 
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 09:52:24 PM »
have a look at this :

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74372-furness-railway-layout-ideas-for-the-lakeside-branch/

interesting plan of coniston station - googling coniston railway gave me type of stock to use, it before my period but nevertheless interesting. sad beeching cut a vital line to cumbrian economy as was in the case of rural areas in the uk
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:01:31 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 10:09:46 PM »
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. Sounds like an interesting layout idea.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 05:37:46 AM »
G'day from Australia, Chris, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:28:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum and the interesting introduction.  You sound like you know what you're doing, so I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. :) :thumbsup:

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 07:30:24 AM »
Hi Chris and welcome aboard! :wave:

Unfamiliar with Coniston, I followed the link crewearpley40 provided. A very busy little plan. I think this is definitely one to watch. :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
Point city!  ;D

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 07:53:48 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Interesting that Train Waiting is considering Torver - when (if) I get Coniston finished I might work my way down the line one station at a time so I might be doing Torver too.

crewearpley40 - the Coniston Line wasn't actually a Beeching cut. The last freight train was on 30/04/1962, whilst the last timetabled passenger  service was 04/10/1958. There was an enthusiasts' special on 07/08/1961 too.
The demolition gang moved in 16/04/1963, only about a fortnight after Beeching's first report.

As to time period, to start with at least I'll have to make do with what ready to run locos and stock are available so I'm aiming for late-LMS, also because the rather nice loco shed had a fire during WWII and they replaced the pitched roof with a rather naff looking flat one. I may have to use a bit more modeller's licence, at least temporarily, if the locos I want aren't available in LMS livery or I particularly want something that was only BR.

All I have at present is a Black 5 and I've already told the club that that might have to make a light engine appearance on the Millom layout from time to time because when 5's did appear at Coniston, usually on a trip from Blackpool, they had to run light engine to Millom and back for turning. The same will apply if I acquire a Jubilee - of which at least one did get to Coniston. I'm thinking of getting a 3F Jinty 0-6-0 (or two), a 4F 0-6-0 and, hopefully, a Fairburn 2-6-4T. If I stretch the timescale a bit then Ivatt 2-6-2Ts are a possibility  or Fowler ones if I can make them or suitably modify the Ivatt ones.

Although it's not intended to be operated as a "roundy roundy" layout it will be built as such, so I can propel some empty wagons up to the slate wharf (actually a loop in the fiddle yard) and later draw some loaded ones back down to the station. I'll have several loops in the fiddle yard to accommodate trains of full and empty slate wagons, other freight trains, the local passenger train and the Blackpool excursion train. There will also be a turning triangle to simulate the longer locos having gone to Millom for turning before coming back.

The biggest challenge will be the scenery - I haven't found many photos but what I have found should allow me to make a reasonable effort at the station building and goods shed. In the same book that I found the track layout there are drawings of the loco shed and signal box so that helps. The terrain shouldn't be too hard to get at least fairly close, although the site is built on I don't think the terrain itself has been altered much so I can pop up the road with my camera. I'm also hoping to find a suitable location on the other side of the valley to get a photo to use for the backdrop - with a couple of more recent houses removed of course.

All good fun and quite a (re)learning curve but I'm enjoying it so far.

KRs
Chris

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 07:59:44 AM »
You seem to have your research well in hand!

Really looking forward to developments.  :thumbsup:

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »
Point city!  ;D

Indeedy  ;)

I'm not quite sure why it was so complex, the only thing I can think of is to be able to accommodate two passenger trains and a freight (or two freight and one passenger) whilst still having a runround loop. Why they felt it necessary to have five crossover sets of points, two between the platform 1 & 2 lines, one between platforms 2 and 3 and two between platform 3 and the runround loop is also unclear, maybe they anticipated circumstance where long trains could foul one or two of them?

At least it's giving me plenty of practice soldering droppers onto N Gauge points  :D

KRs
Chris

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 08:53:31 AM »
How about a painted backscene coniston

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 09:46:09 AM »
Hello Chris, and welcome to our happy throng :wave:
Your plans sound very interesting so I'll be following your progress. Pictures please when there's something to see :camera:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything