!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Do Dapol locos get split gears?  (Read 869 times)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Do Dapol locos get split gears?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 12:17:54 PM »
DCC Supplies do not hold spare wheel sets, any suggestions where I can get replacements

I'm not sure. It may be that the only option is to see if there is an appropriate Farish gear that will fit - IIRC some folks did do this.

It is a pain - I'd make Dapol aware, so that at very least when the next runs are done they might consider making some spare gears and wheelsets.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 06:33:11 PM »
It is possible (but not cheap!) to have gears made to your specification, I've done this a few times when needing specific replacements which I've not been able to find as original spare parts.

I use MikroAntriebe in Poland. You need to take some measurements, count the teeth and work out the MOD value.

http://www.kkpmo.com/search_gearwheels.php
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Busybee

• N Gauge Society Number: 21769D
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 07:03:26 PM »
I have 66111 which has a split gear, shame as its one of the better Dapol 66s.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 11:03:59 AM »
If it's just a single gear, you can probably get away with removing it and running 3 axle drive. It's not ideal, but will work. 2 or more gears lost will be too many though, and the loss of tractive effort will be notable.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »
Hi

I got replacement class 73 wheel sets from BR Lines a few years ago.

Might be worth an email.
www.brlines.co.uk

Cheers

Paul

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 05:35:57 PM »
As I have two gears split I will have to try and find suitable gears. The loco is 66709 MSC Sorrento with fine flange wheels as fitted to the later runs of the DCC ready chassis.

Looking at the wheel set there appears no obvious hub insulator but the face of one wheels is different and looks like the insulated side. I do have a puller so I will have a go at separating it from the axle. I do own two class 73s so I can compare the gears and if the same check if BR Lines has stock. I also have a few Farish 16 touth gears that I hold as spares. If neither fit I can look at other Farish gears that are available.

If all of this fails I can look for another loco as a non runner and use the wheel sets of it. DCC Supplies did respond in their email that spare may become available when the next batch of locos are made available

I will also contact Dapol direct to see if they can help

Last resort is to turn the loco into a dummy

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 10:42:18 PM »
Hi All

An update on trying to fix the split gears on the Dapol 66

The gear on the axle is the same outside diameter and touth number as the standard Farish gear although a little narrower. The problem is the diameter of the axle on the Dapol loco does not have the thicker part in the middle like the Farish axle so therefore the Farish gear is a loose fit and no use. The axle diameter is 1.5 mm over it's full length but on the Farish axle it thickens to 1.7 mm in the middle.

Looks like the only option is to try class 73 gears if I can get these from BR lines, DCC Supplies would appear to have only non geared 73 wheels available which seems odd. I  keep a stock of the Farish gears so had them at hand

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 11:57:31 PM »
If the normal 16 tooth gears would otherwise fit, try the type-2 ones, that were only used on the DMU 101 and GW Railcar armatures. These have a smaller central hole.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 12:04:16 PM »
Dr Al

Thanks for this I will contact BR Lines for both 101 and 73 gears

I assume these are gears from the Poole built models

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »
The part number is GF2508 IIRC, and yes they are to fit Poole models.

Note though that they are more recent production than that!

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here