!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Signalling for dummies (ie Me)  (Read 539 times)

Offline Vigo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Signalling for dummies (ie Me)
« on: October 30, 2018, 06:00:05 PM »
Looking at the number of 'Help Me' posts in this section it seems I'm not alone here. Somewhere there must be a definitive guide to the what goes where but not necessarily the why of railway signalling. There must be but I can't find it.

Many times I've come across this conundrum and many times I've had to either sit through boring lectures by retired signalmen on blocks, tokens, feathers and other meaningless words or been subjected to posts on forums comprising an unabridged history of signalling from the very beginning of time when all I want to know is 'where should I put this ****** signal'?

I don't need to know why, just where and what kind. It should be simple enough I would've thought..... but I'm still no wiser.

Which brings me nicely to the point of this post.

Knowing that I'm 'into trains' as he so delightfully put it, one of my work colleagues handed me a scruffy hand drawn scribble the other night, saying "can you put some signals on this for me and make it work?"

I've redrawn it a bit more neatly so it's a bit easier to understand. Ignore the numbers, they were points but we changed them.

Unfortunately my simple answer at the moment is No but I'm determined not to be beaten so I thought I'd give you chaps a shot at it. Any thoughts?

Ideally I'd like some kind hearted soul to take the bottom diagram and mark on it what needs to go where. It's not that I'm lazy or anything like that, it's just that I think signalling is a black art that you either get or you don't. In my case I don't.

Please help   :helpneededsign:
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: Signalling for dummies (ie Me)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
Hi there

Just three starter/home signals at the end of each platform on the way out of the platform. That's all you need.
Maybe another home signal just before the overbridge, and another facingthe station between teh bridge and the station, but the real blocks between signals would have been longer than the layout.

If coloured lights, then two aspect red/green lights = home signal.

Ground discs, now that's another story.

Bob

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline mickster04

• N Gauge Society Number: 26540
  • The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 08:49:21 PM »
Does anyone know who maintains signalbox.org? no new layouts in a while, I'm vaguely concerned?

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »

Maybe in the early days, but when multiple aspect signalling was introduced (i.e. adding a third and forth yellow lamp to the signal) then you wouldn't see red and green together. Red and yellow would be seen together.

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »
You still see two aspect red/green signals now... You do also get red/yellow, for example the last signal before a terminating station will be red/yellow, but it's not a given.

Obviously two aspect signals are much less common than 3 and 4 on the network today, mind.

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 09:39:10 AM »
As above, plus a bracket signal with main and subsidiary homes placed before the pair of main line crossovers to control access from the blue line into main and bay platforms. Plus ground signals to control movements between sidings and main lines/bay platform, and reversing movements across the main line crossover.

Access to the coal yard via the bay platform would make operation awkward as shunting would not be possible whilst the bay was occupied. And access to the lower yard would normally be via a trailing crossover for safety reasons.

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »

Maybe in the early days, but when multiple aspect signalling was introduced (i.e. adding a third and forth yellow lamp to the signal) then you wouldn't see red and green together. Red and yellow would be seen together.

I grew up with four aspect signalling in the 1960s in Portsmouth so I know what the issue is. I'm just trying to make it simple for the OP.
Bob

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything