!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout  (Read 4381 times)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2020, 12:51:50 AM »
The layout @DarrwestLU6 which @Jimmy77 maybe referring to is graham ' s southwark bridge of this parish using a peco roof

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »
Ah yes Chris,

A beautiful layout. I will enquire...
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2020, 11:03:02 AM »
Hi Darren,

That is a good layout indeed, however it was a OO layout Dean Park which uses the scaled up version of the first one that I was thinking of, amongst a few others.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2020, 05:33:22 PM »
I think graham used a peco roof.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2020, 05:35:35 PM »
@Jimmy77 - thanks for the clip looks good.

I also spoke to @GrahamB on PM - he used the Peco Products LK-20X Double length overall arched station roof, in OO gauge - here's a nice picture.

And here's the original thread: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41540.msg511069#msg511069 (thanks @crewearpley40 for the hint!)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:52:01 PM by DarrwestLU6, Reason: added another link »
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »
@DarrwestLU6 ALSO search track cleaning under a peco overall roof in that facility

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2020, 06:24:06 PM »
Thank you for the kind comments re Southwark Bridge.

I built the overall roof so it could be removed for safe transport and track cleaning purposes. The pillar in each corner was glued to the roof. The pillar location was then marked on the platforms, slightly oversize holes were drilled and copper tube inserted. That means the roof locates correctly every time and doesn't wear the cardboard platforms. The remaining pillars were then glued to the platform. The result being the roof sits correctly every time.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2020, 06:42:10 PM »
Graham such a fine structure I remember having the conversation last year and that will help darren in his choice making. Chris

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »
@GrahamB - I have a similar issue, the station roof will need to be removable, but in my case this is because the layout is hinged on a back wall for storage and folds up, so there's no headroom for a big roof! So I will do something like you have designed there, a very neat solution.

The question for me is which design looks more King's Cross like?

Here is old King's Cross:

And here is 2015 King's Cross (I think this shot taken from the footbridge you can see in the photo above):

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »
Right then - my last post before my wife and I go for our evening dog walk, so I'll leave you, my esteemed NGF-ers, to contemplate this one - I think if we look as the roof supports, the N-scenics has an uncanny resemblance to KX - but I'd be interested what you think based on this photo, then compare with above (just imagine it in yellow brick)...

I also like the arches in the side wall as this suits my modelling only of one the two KX train sheds. On the side facing the middle of the layout, I will have a goods platform and so I can put a canopy on the external wall and a goods bay. On the wall facing the layout edge, this would be the internal wall between the two great canopies...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:59:09 PM by DarrwestLU6, Reason: Typo »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2020, 07:41:20 PM »
As I said previously this is more resemblance to what you wish to achieve.  One can always find suitable printed more yellow LX brick and cover. I believe the bricks are a very ascetic yellow clay
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 07:52:35 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2020, 12:47:21 AM »
Right then - my last post before my wife and I go for our evening dog walk, so I'll leave you, my esteemed NGF-ers, to contemplate this one - I think if we look as the roof supports, the N-scenics has an uncanny resemblance to KX - but I'd be interested what you think based on this photo, then compare with above (just imagine it in yellow brick)...

I also like the arches in the side wall as this suits my modelling only of the two KX arches. On the side facing the middle of the layout, I will have a goods platform and so I can put a canopy on the external wall and a goods bay. On the wall facing the layout edge, this would be the internal wall between the two great canopies...
Hi Darren,

Id say the likeness is quite remarkable - even the design of the inner girders is a pretty good match. Like you say change the red brick for sandstone / yellow and youre onto a winner  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2020, 01:30:51 AM »
Go with what we discussed last night darren. Should be absolutely fine. The yellow sand clay brick effect will be scalemodelscenery or the right paint. Looking good

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2020, 01:50:30 PM »
Track laying weekend!

Spotted an annoying problem -see photo- I have a double track junction with a diamond crossing and I think the tracks are a tad too close according to my Peco track gauge. I could get away with it but I feel if I have two Minitrix 9F s passing each other I might hit trouble unless I move The crossing down a bit....

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
What's the remedy ? Move it down a bit

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00