!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout  (Read 4939 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: Hogwarts to Kings Cross - A compact, folding layout
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2020, 06:28:03 PM »
Hi everyone - just a quick note to say I survived the Philippines business trip

"business trip" ?

Any vacancies where you work ?
Of course, I didn't post anything about the boring bits!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2020, 06:36:14 PM »
What track laying is fun and you referred to electrical work darren before I head down and build the townsxape
 I meant we not I.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2020, 10:49:20 PM »
Well it's been a long while since I posted on Hogwarts to King's Cross - due to lots and lots of work (and even longer working days under lock down!). Anyway there's light at the end of the tunnel (excuse the pun!). I can see a nice Easter Weekend spending some time with the family and doing some more on the layout.

I've spent some time tonight on SCARM planning the branch line (this is the easier bit) which leads from the ground level up to a higher level station (Hogsmeade) via a double Helix, which is part hidden in tunnels behind hills/backscene. See diagram below (it shows a bit small on my screen so you might have to double click to see details). There's also a reversing loop built in (also half hidden). I have broken the branch into four signalling blocks, then numbered the points, and decided where to put the signals, and indeed the signal boxes. It's a DC layout and all the track in this section has a single power feed so I need dead sections to isolate trains. In the diagram below, I show each signalling block in a different colour (blue, purple, red or orange) and the dead sections in black. Most of the signals are semaphore and I have Dapol signals in stock ready. The scratchbuild issue will be the H4/H5 bracket (bottom left in the diagram) which is before point P10. I'll have to make that, but want it working so that will be a fun project!

Tomorrow I'll do the same on the ground level - which is a double loop main line but with some complex junctions. Once I've planned all my blocks and dead sections I can then finalise my track laying!

Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2020, 11:10:50 PM »
Is this branch line part also going to fold up like the main section? (if so, that's pretty impressive with a helix)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2020, 03:10:05 AM »
Cannot wait to see this finally .....
 Take off

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2020, 06:15:02 PM »
Is this branch line part also going to fold up like the main section? (if so, that's pretty impressive with a helix)

Yes it does, the whole baseboard is hinged at the back edge and just lifts up. Because it's heavy I have some cantilever weights (as used in sash windows) that balance this out. The branch is built to go ABOVE the ground level tracks. It comes off the main line (double track loop, more on this later) which is at ground level, then slowly gains height as it first winds behind the hills/backscene, (looks like a yellow line on the diagram in previous post) then re-emerges out front (orange line) on the low level loop, about 15mm above ground level (orange line).  Then the train has a choice to go continue for a reversing loop and pop out the way it came in OR crosses the points (shown P12) to the helix (purple line). On the helix there are two full circles (Peco Set Track R2 inner, R3 outer) gaining height to about 12cm above the baseboard before finally coming out on a viaduct as it approaches P10 on the diagram. It can then join an upper loop or go into Hogsmeade station that sits on a board above the hidden tracks below.

Here are a few photos to explain. First the viaduct (with a view of the inner part of the helix in the background):

This is the only scenic item I've actually completed! It does need the stone coarse to be picked out with a cream paint - that's on the to do list, but I've done the stone colour using a Humbrol enamel. This was built from adapted Ratio viaduct kits to make it curve -  my first go at kitbashing, but I'm quite pleased with it.

The idea with the double helix is that I will hide the back half in some tunnels and hills, so it will look very Swiss Alps rather than UK, but I think that will be fun - and on the hill above all this will sit a model of part of Hogwarts Castle. I have lot's of modeller's licence here as the location is all part of JK Rowling's imagination so I can go to town! (King's Cross and London scenes on the other hand I'll model as 1960's London, so get to indulge the prototypical side there.)

Next shot, you can see how the to be built Hogsmeade station sits above the hidden tracks beneath. So that I can access them if a train derails, or for cleaning the tracks, I have built the station on a hinged section. This is held down by clasps so that it is under a slight tension, then the tracks align perfectly at the join!

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2020, 06:17:31 PM »
It's a good representation of glenfinnan. Happy tracklaying

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2020, 06:46:46 PM »
Great work! It looks nice and complicated; my kind of layout!  ;)

Online AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2020, 06:59:44 PM »
I would ingenious (some nice ideas there!)  and fresh und a good mixture of fantasy world and prototype world.

:claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »

Thanks @crewearpley40  @Stevie DC and @AlexanderJesse for the kind comments! Yes, I like complicated, I think it will make it interesting to operate!

Well I got into track laying today but came up with a new idea (when is a layout EVER finished eh?). I think I have been inspired by the very fine EM gauge model of Liverpool Lime Street in Model Rail January 2020 and May 2020 Railway Modeller. I saw in there that there are sometimes THREE tracks between bay platforms, which would serve me well to park carriages. So then I juggled my points around and bit and came up with this idea - see photo...each side of the scisssor crossing are platforms, then you see the three tracks - the top one is a platform, the bottom of the diagram (edge of the layout) can now have a LOVELY LONG PLATFORM and there's a middle track for just shunting and I can park carriages in there also.

The grey card in the photo is the island platform, this will be 45-50mm wide (depending on how much clearance I need for the valve gear of my widest steamer, an old Minitrix 9F, I think they are 12 mm from the centre line of the track! But that's about 22 feet or 6m which feels about right.

This gives me - from the top two suburban platform bays (with the scissors I can get a loco to run-around a 4 coach train fine); third track down would allow a 5 coach train with run around (or 6 without); fourth track down is for shunting/carriages; and finally the bottom track gives me the space to create an express bay with enough room for 8 coaches plus a loco. I am VERY pleased with this as my little layout I thought would never get above 6 coaches, this gives me an excuse to run a few expresses, maybe a rake of Pullmans? Let's face it, an A4 with 8 coaches would look very cool....

Moving on, I realised I could pull this off by replacing a point with a second Peco Double Slip  - now on order from Track Shack, who are saying they still do mail order on their website.  I know they are pricey bits of point work but I think a worthwhile investment given the space saving, and means I can squeeze this in with the existing track work (just) positioned to the left of the existing slip and above the turntable, and use mainly 15" curves to connect it all up (worst case down to 12" radius - which I think my Dapol steamer will live with, as they have a minimum radius R3 curve which is 298mm, 11 3/4 in).

Here's a combined photograph with comments so you can see it laid out.

So I will potter about now doing other bits of track before the new Double Slip arrives....plenty more to do. Will post updates as I go along.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2020, 11:21:27 PM »
Don't forget in steam days .... an inward service needed to be detached so the northbound service could draw clear and the inbound eg london loco nearest the buffers can return for servicing and turning to the shed. Apart from that the 2nd double slip will be a useful addition. Look forward to progress darren
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 11:23:15 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2020, 02:24:51 PM »
Thanks Chris - yes I thought of that, the new double slip will also connect to the loco area, so locos can access that for water, coal, and turning.

Here's the latest layout plan:

I've now got five platform bays but one is for parking coaches, run around etc. This should fit under one arch of the two at King's Cross station. The "London Loop line" is purely fictional but is a link line off the main line just before KX and connecting to other bits of North London (actually NOWADAYS such a link exists as Thameslink trains run through to Cambridge, but this I think is a recent addition?)

Must get back to work now, more tonight!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:27:04 PM by DarrwestLU6 »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2020, 03:37:16 PM »
I think this one's going to be FUN! Looks interesting, Darren.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2020, 03:52:51 PM »
It will be mick as I have been to Darren's and yes the plan is interesting operationally  , going to be fun. Cannot wait for progress

Offline Allen

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2020, 03:22:10 PM »
I'm in awe.... this looks brilliant!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP