New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hydraulic Buffers  (Read 876 times)

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
Re: Hydraulic Buffers
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 09:40:38 PM »
Reading the above post about the Argentina rail disaster is something I was not aware of and my thoughts of course go out to all the families of the people who were sadly killed.

Also surprised to read to Argentine Govt response believing that MI-5 or 6 (??) were responding! I understand Argentine-UK relations haven't been the best for circa 36 years but just amazed suspicion still exists even on a rather civilian matter concerning a sad rail disaster!

Anyhow, before it goes off topic, spring loaded versions of the model would be excellent, however the 3D versions I already see look superb and a big thanks for developing these buffer stops that are at present a big gap in the N Gauge world.

I wish you every success on the production and I sincerely hope you make a few quid out of it!

Be sure to keep us all posted.

All the best 👍

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline 70000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 07:06:30 AM »
Also surprised to read to Argentine Govt response believing that MI-5 or 6 (??) were responding! I understand Argentine-UK relations haven't been the best for circa 36 years but just amazed suspicion still exists even on a rather civilian matter concerning a sad rail disaster!

It was a actually a rather humourous "tongue in cheek" reply from somone with an excellent command of English rather than anything more than that. It was so good, I think it was reproduced in our museum magazine at the time. Whilst there is a fairly small, but very enthusiastic, rail enthusiast presence in Argentina, I think its only the likes of us who would take several photos of buffer stops!
Given the past history of the railways there, UK built rolling stock and infrastructure is still quite prevalent both in preservation and on the current network.
The botched privatisation of rail there, coupled with the somewhat shambolic way they seem to do things, seems to have resulted in lots of records/knowledge being lost , hence their need to contact a museum in the town where the things were made to try and find out more information!

Anyway......back to those superb 3d models......................(can you do them in OO...........? :D)

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »
Thanks chaps,

I will take a look at spring loaded ones, will need some more thought, but I think it could be achieved. I'm sending out a few samples today so I'll see how they are received, then I'll get my pencil and ruler out again and get to work  :D

As for doing OO ones I can't see why not, its just a case of adjusting the sizes on the CAD work.

Cheers,

Jimmy
My layout in the workshop
Layout

Offline Shropshire Lad

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
Jimmy has very kindly sent me a set each of two different buffers to check out. Now I've painted the first stops I'm really impressed with them 😀.
I'll post some pics of the other buffers when I've had chance to paint them!

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 08:12:30 PM »
Hi Colin,

Glad they turned up safe and well (another package I sent had a bit of a prang and lost the buffer arms!). Looking forward to seeing how the other ones will look in situ with your rolling stock! How did you find the alignment with your 08's buffers?

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

Offline Shropshire Lad

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
The other set suffered a postal prang resulting in one buffer being snapped off but I'm fairly sure I can repair it!
The buffers were fine height wise but I'll try them with some code 40 track as that is what I'll be using in the station area.

Offline GroupC

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 07:48:22 AM »
The buffers look great, just what I need. I'd be interested in a few sets!

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »
These look brilliant painted up. It's a shame I haven't got a terminus on my layout (I don't even have a station lol!) But if I had I would have a couple of these on my layout.

Nice to see them so well painted. They look very realistic. Thanks everyone :NGF:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2018, 02:27:04 PM »
Hello all,

Haven't done too much in the way of printing at the moment, its quite cold in the workshop and I'd heard that it can affect the resin during the printing process.

Anyways, my curiousity with all things buffer related hasn't been dampened, in fact I've been working on a scaled up version!  ;D

Whilst its still not finished, and needs another coat or two to smooth out the paintwork, its an improvement on what I started with.

Hopefully when the weather improves it'll have a new lease of life as a beer table for the garden!  :beers: :beers:

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2018, 02:33:40 PM »
I'll take two please Jimmy. Can you deliver in time for Christmas? :D
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2018, 02:43:27 PM »
I think I'd be needing new suspension with two of them in the back of the car  :D

Driving around the concrete-sectioned parts of the M25 with just one in the boot was a bone-shaking experience!
Layout

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

Nice full size buffer. I'm on the lookout for similar myself...

Later,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2018, 03:43:39 PM »
Hi Stu,

I think they pop up on ebay every now and again. I paid 75 for mine, plus around 30 for red oxide, top coats, wire brushes, etc.

If I see any going, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218%