!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 14438 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #360 on: February 08, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   The signal box is looking good, excellent modelling Alec   :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #361 on: February 09, 2020, 08:15:22 AM »
I’d give you 6.5/10 for trying.
But for execution it’s got to be 9.75/10.
Great modelling.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #362 on: March 06, 2020, 12:11:27 PM »
East Kent Railway

Hello fellow modelling chaps. There has been a reasonable amount of modelling activity on Saxon Street lately but nothing I'd dare photograph. The bottom line is I've used one of the excellent Metcalfe kits as the main building for Saxon Street station but...........
I've never been all that happy with it. Its Metcalfe's so called "Wayside station" and as good a model as it is, its a bit too um..... country branch line'ish (see reply #61).
I've been fiddling about trying to make one of the extremely functional but appallingly ugly CLASP modular buildings that BR used in the 1960s and 1970s. Its a Scale Scenes download "kit" and probably more fitting for a mainly suburban layout like Saxon Street. I'm making a bit of a hash of it and it'll probably never see the light of day. Watch this space.

Released by Dapol relatively recently after years of delay has been the class 142 "Pacer". Such was the length of delay that my initial enthusiasm waned and by the time of release I was in two minds whether to bother. I decided against especially seeing how 142s never ran in Kent anyway.

Now all of a sudden and totally unexpectedly our local heritage line, known as the East Kent Railway have gone and bought one! This one.............!

More than that, the intention in the fullness of time is to offer driver experience days with it. Dunno how much it'll cost, but I fancy having a go.

Alec.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:15:08 PM by Invicta Alec »
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #363 on: March 06, 2020, 02:48:48 PM »
A 'Pacer' for the EKR is ideal, given its Col Stephens heritage.  I expect he would have liked it.  He seems to have enjoyed contraptions.

That station building, absolutely hideous in 1:1 scale, will look super in 1:148 on Saxon Street.  If the 'kit' is not to your liking, Alec, I recall your splendid scratchbuilt supermarket...

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #364 on: March 06, 2020, 07:09:00 PM »
A 'Pacer' for the EKR is ideal, given its Col Stephens heritage.  I expect he would have liked it.  He seems to have enjoyed contraptions.

John

Thanks for your comment John. I've been reading the posts on EKR's Facebook page. The consensus is that Col Stephens would have indeed approved mightily!

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #365 on: March 18, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »
Failure  :-[

Friends, chums and colleagues etc.

A month or more ago progress on my Saxon Street layout was (if I say so myself) proceeding at a sparkling pace. Garages were built, ponds were dug, Memorial gardens laid, fences were erected. All in all a quite dizzying spell of activity.

I decided that the style of Saxon Street station was wrong. The Metcalfe kit looked too branch line'ish. Scalescenes downloadable CLASP building although hideous was more outer suburby. (The grammar gizmo has underlined that word in red  ;D ).

After starting out on a wave of enthusiasm my visits to the train room became sporadic. Its a very tricky little thing what with all that cutting out for the windows and so on. I forced myself to continue but wasn't enjoying myself. Bottom line was the model wasn't good enough. I've taken the decision to call a halt. Its a hard call to make because all the time spent on construction is wasted.

If I'd have carried on to the bitter end it would have annoyed me on the layout so its going in the bin later today.

Hey ho.

Alec.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:23:30 PM by Invicta Alec »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #366 on: March 18, 2020, 12:31:54 PM »
Hi Alec

Just four words from me :

“What’s wrong with it?”

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #367 on: March 18, 2020, 12:35:11 PM »
I am with Martin and can see nothing wrong with the building but, at the end of the day, you are the one who has to be happy with what you do.

Rather than bin it, can it not be utilised for something elsewhere?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:36:56 PM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »
Hi Alec

Just four words from me :

“What’s wrong with it?”

Martin

Martin,

If you compare it to the picture in reply #362 (Scalescenes own picture) the accuracy of cut just isn't there. Cutting around all those thin mullions and transoms, if it isn't done exactly square will give an overall shabby look.
It seems strange to me that the self same eyeballs and less than steady hands that struggle to cut stuff accurately can immediately see when things aren't bang on!
My layout has many Metcalfe kits on it and I'm a fan of their products but they do lack modernity with their station buildings. This is a pity if like me, the scratch building days are fast becoming a memory!

Alec.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #369 on: March 18, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »
Hello Alec

I know the feeling!  The Table-Top Railway Mk I and Mk III were broken up because I realised that they were not right and I wanted to devote my energy to something that might, hopefully, be right.  I learned a great deal from both efforts, which is, I think, important.

Now to your model of a hideous building.  The model looks rather nice to me.  When I have been making some of the buildings for Poppingham, I have been so closely involved with them that I could only see what I perceived as flaws and got discouraged.  When this happens, the first thing I do is to stop looking at it!  I look at trains, books, magazines or Poppy instead.  After a few days, I then place the building in its location on the layout, with the normal lighting, sit back at the usual viewing distance and run trains.  Only one building ended up condemned after this process.  The others were finished and are sorting of merging together in the overall scene.

If, after this process, you are still unsure, then it might be worth trying David's suggestion of an alternative location and use.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #370 on: March 18, 2020, 02:49:18 PM »
  After a few days, I then place the building in its location on the layout, with the normal lighting, sit back at the usual viewing distance and run trains.  Only one building ended up condemned after this process. 

Thank you John. We sing off the same hymn sheet sir, that's exactly what I did! I sat the building in its intended place and ran trains by it for a few days. It failed to wheedle its way into my affection.
David is a very wise chap and again I'd already investigated the possibility of using the building elsewhere as he suggests. Unfortunately it is not an option.

Its for the chop!

Alec.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #371 on: March 18, 2020, 03:05:08 PM »
Take it to bits and put the bits in the 'might come in handy one day box'.   ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #372 on: March 18, 2020, 03:26:59 PM »
Take it to bits and put the bits in the 'might come in handy one day box'.   ;)

Which then cannot be found as it's in the 'safe place' :doh:

I'd suggest at least a plaque in the Memorial Park for the poor building.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #373 on: March 18, 2020, 04:21:28 PM »
Why not distress the model with algae effects, mosses, peeled paintwork, cracked and broken windows, grasses and weeds growing at the base of the walls and on the roof, then it will make a perfect long-closed branch station.
 :hmmm:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #374 on: March 18, 2020, 04:40:38 PM »
I know this is extra expense but my wife has one of those fancy craft-cutter thingys that i intend “borrowing” for this sortof thing, is that someting you could consider for accurate cuts?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal