!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 6512 times)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 06:23:31 PM »

I shall refrain from posting a picture of the chair as I assume you are all familiar with such things  :)

Yes, of course, one of these:

Sorry!

John

Made me laugh John. Cheers mate!  :thankyousign:

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »
Made me laugh John. Cheers mate!  :thankyousign:

Alec.
Don't you mean chairs!  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 08:48:08 PM »
Not too much progress lately, trouble is I've loose laid all the track and despite the best of intentions I sit for ages running my trains. I've been assessing bits and pieces off the old layout to see if they'll do a job on the new one. Some are fine, some I've binned.

Back in the spring I was much taken with a Faller N gauge station model. I thought I'd buy it as a first step to the new layout. I had the idea that I could make it look acceptably British. Jacking the whole thing up to compensate for the low level platforms the Germans use would be easy enough and maybe a bit of paint here and there and British station signs and Robert would be your aunties husband.

Darn flash keeps going off on my cheapy phone, so picture is poor. I've built it well enough and in a good light its a very imposing model. However, I've changed my mind. Its going to sit in a townscape of Metcalfe terraced houses, a 1970s block of flats and the Queen Vic pub. It was quite an expensive model, but if I use it, I'll keep thinking it doesn't look right.

Pretty much on the same theme I busied myself with designing some station signs. I was very proud of the ones on my old layout as they were accurate representations of NSE signs but they are not going to sit right on this "Rule 1 applies" layout. So as not to further confuse the issue with various liveried trains pulling up at the stations I've come up with this rather generic design.

I reckon downhill and a following wind, I could have this layout finished in way under 8 years  :worried:

Alec.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »
Now where on earth did you get the idea for a station like that, Alec?  :D   :D

lookin' good!

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 10:21:05 PM »
Thanks for showing the guys a good photo of the station Nick. It is a cracker!

I really must dig out my DSLR (and then spend hours trying to remember how to use it properly).

Alec.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2018, 08:38:17 AM »
Not too much progress lately, trouble is I've loose laid all the track and despite the best of intentions I sit for ages running my trains.

I think that's one of life's little pleasures, Alec.  Sometimes my best intention is simply to sit and watch the trains run past!

It's also a spiffing way of testing that your track plan works for you in reality, before you 'nail' it all down.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »

It's also a spiffing way of testing that your track plan works for you in reality, before you 'nail' it all down.

Best wishes.

John

Thanks for that John. I spent many hours thinking about the operational possibilities. For me its the most important part. I've got a roundy roundy part, an out and back to a terminus and also the fiddling about in my four lane siding.
In playing with operating my trains I've already made one minor improvement and am keeping an eye on a potential troublesome spot before making a final decision on it. I bought a right hand crossover to incorporate into this new layout. In effect its a back to back pair of #4 Kato points. I had avoided using #4's on the previous layout after reading of other Kato user's derailing/stalling problems. I've only had two derailments in about a week of using the layout so far, but these were totally unknown on my old set up. (One derailment may have been more to do with the peculiar close gangway connection on the Dapol 156 DMU than any problem with the rails).
I'm mindful that the crossover is just before a curve so moving it away 200mm or so might sort it.
The jury is out unless it happens again.

Alec.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2018, 09:07:55 PM »
I'm mindful that the crossover is just before a curve so moving it away 200mm or so might sort it.
The jury is out unless it happens again.

I think that's a good idea, Alec.

On the Table-Top Railway (MkIII), which has Kato 'Unitrack', I found that facing points after a curve could be troublesome even although they are #6.  It was steam locomotives that occasionally ended up on the ballast.  I experimented with straight track pieces and found that 45mm was the minimum length to avoid bother.

On my US layout, with mostly Kato locomotives, no such difficulties were encountered.  Kato track and trains used together is a wonderful system.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2018, 06:32:06 PM »
Not been feeling all that great lately guys. Well meaning layout construction sessions have repeatedly turned into just train running sessions. I have little to no energy and I'm thinking my daily intake of pills might be to blame. Gotta keep taking them though.

Anyways, a picture of where I'm at.

I've improved the operational side a little by moving the single crossover back from the 315/348mm double curve. Derailing there is now cured. Drilling a couple of newly positioned holes and rewiring was physically difficult for me, I'll leave well alone now and enjoy what I have. Note to self : Order the *%$$!* back scene!!

Alec.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2018, 08:10:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Alec.  I hope that the fun of running trains is taking your mind off of things a bit.

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care.

John

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2018, 04:31:50 PM »
So chaps, I dug out the Canon DSLR. Its an EOS 450 which is quite well thought of by camera folks as I understand it. I don't have much of a clue how to operate its many buttons and so helpful comments from any experts out there will be appreciated.

I have it on P(rogram) mode, ISO 400 with flash disabled and me twisting the focus about manually. Very hit and miss. Here are the best of what I came up with.

Construction of the Saxon Street station is partially done. Although its not sharply focused its not far out for a close up as you can see with the blurred class 121 bubble car in the background.

The Dapol 121 on platform 2 is waiting to depart for Cotton Hill and Farningham Central stations further round the layout. The footbridge from the previous layout looks fine and will be retained but I will re-do the canopy and little waiting room on platforms 2 and 3. Zooming in on the canopy will show just how sub standard it really is.

This end on view of Farningham Central shows me having the further train in focus whereas I really thought I was trained on the nearer one! Anyway I think this pair of 350's look good. They certainly look the part when they are circling around the outer main line. My Kato track is laid directly onto the baseboard. Like a good few other people I'm of the opinion that putting cork or whatever under the track does nothing at all for sound reduction. In any case trains make a noise. Next to the right hand track I've cut out to shape and butted up 3mm foam board, this disguises much of the high shoulder of the Kato track. As in my previous layout I shall just fill in the very small gap between the two with pva and drizzle in the Kato ballast that is identical in colour to the road bed. Inevitably this takes away the pristine geometric shape of the edges, especially on the curves and makes it look a little more believable.

I think I almost got it right with this last picture. 350 101 waiting at platform two prior to departure to Saxon Street.

Alec.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 08:03:00 AM »
Hi Alec, just caught up with this, you posted on the day that I went on an extended holiday. Great progress and looking good. Take things steady, there is no rush to complete, and you can run trains.

The canon is a fine beast. On P mode indoors I’d experiment with increasing the iso to 800.

:greatpicturessign:  :thankyousign:  :beers:

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2018, 11:45:43 AM »
I've been absolutely determined not to move forward with the layout's development until I'm 100 per cent happy with the operational side and I've been having a problem with my Kato double crossover.

When you throw the point switch lever all 4 point blades should move at the same time. On mine 3 snap over and the fourth normally gets stuck halfway. If you research on the web its not an unknown problem. Some users have reported using a slightly higher voltage power supply sorts it. According to what I've read some electricky witchcraft experts say it could be a feeble solenoid, whatever that is! Others tell me the Kato point motor switches are of momentary type. Despite this, its also known that if you deliberately move the lever slowly (during which time there is an unhealthy sounding buzz) the fourth blade will eventually lock into place.

I've known my double crossover was iffy since before I lifted it from the old layout. I made sure that on the new plan the crossover was placed very close to my operating position so I could keep an eye on its operation. Although electrically operated you can also move the lever manually if necessary but the necessity of constantly checking its position was spoiling my use of the layout - big time! On the basis of having nothing to lose I decided to take it apart to have a look inside........

I opened it reluctantly since I had read that when you do it is almost certain that little fine springs would immediately jump out of position and are next to impossible to put back into place. This is exactly what happened and I had a fun twenty minutes with tweezers trying to restore the status quo. While doing so I wondered what the little 8mm by 8mm bit of plastic was doing that was sitting roughly in the middle. It was mangled and gnarled like it had been through a washing machine cycle for a couple of hours. Experimentation lead me to believe it sat over the top of two of the four fine spring wires. I popped it in place (although I wasn't sure of which way it should face) and very gingerly fitted the bottom plate back on. I powered it up and snap, snap, snap, SNAP went all four blades!!! 

My layout is now running exactly as I'd planned. I am chuffed to have "fixed" something. :claphappy:

Now I can move on at last. The back scenes are ordered and on their way.

Alec.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:51:46 AM by Invicta Alec »

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »
Well done Alec!  That's the sort of post I would like to able to read on my own thread.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »
One of those 'handy to know' posts - I have two of the crossovers!  :worried:  :thankyousign:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £90.00
Below Goal: £70.00
Site Currency: GBP
56% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything