!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 205384 times)

maridunian and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3225 on: December 06, 2019, 09:30:42 AM »
That looks excellent, Andrew.  Thank you for the photographs.

I'm at present adding pavements (Metcalfe) to Poppingham and this subject has been in my thoughts over the past few days.  I agree completely that a bridge in a location like this would most likely have a single pavement.  The amount of grass and mud at the non-pavement side would depend on the type and amount of traffic on the road- if it was at all busy the 'County' would most likely tar right up to the wall to give maximum road width.   

By the way, the BP tanker took me back about half a century.  I had a 'Matchbox' one with, if I recall correctly, a tipping cab.  Isn't nostalgia a splendid thing?

Thanks again and all good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #3226 on: December 06, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »
Hi Andrew and welcome back!

Are you happy with the steep  gradient from the bridge down to the yard? It's been mentioned a few times...

Space is obviously very tight, but I wondered whether the road could be supported along the hillside (embankment, retaining wall, etc) to drop more gently to a hairpin bend behind the shed? Just a thought.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3227 on: December 06, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »
Thanks John & Mike, nostalgia is a very special thing :) 

The steepness of the road into the yard is not something that worries me too much, a nice talking point more than anything.  It takes me back to my youth in Bo'Ness (there's that nostalgia thing again!) where we had several notorious steep braes, one at Kinneil was used for years as a staple of the Hill Climb circuit, something that died out in the 70's - 90's, but believe it is making a comeback.  I also remember having to regularly climb "the bog" which was very steep, and was part of the weekly trek to Woolworths, to look at the latest singles charts and maybe even buy a record or two!

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the 1st December was the 4th anniversary of the PRPS's appearance on the forum  :beers:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3228 on: Yesterday at 08:19:46 AM »
With the parts for the goods store/office now liberated, they have been partly assembled and part painted, the lower door panels were a bit fiddly, but using one of the fine micro brushes (seen on right of pic) helped a lot.  I just gave the walls a wash with cream acrylic and then washed in some black ink to pick out the mortar work.

I had yet to properly test the relaid track at Tullibardine, so the final step was to reconnect electrically and then bite the bullet and see if it had worked.... there is still a bit of a step between the 2 crossover points, so I am not hopeful

The store/office now takes up it's basic shape

and it's approximate location within the yard (though in hindsight, I should have cropped the top of the photo down!)

one of my first purchases at TINGS was the Ancorton Models derelict house kit... I only have a rough idea of how I might incorporate it onto the layout, but I couldn't resist it when I saw it.  I thought I was getting better at taking pictures from the very start of builds, but clearly not as it has been painted and initial construction started in the first pic I have of it

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3229 on: Yesterday at 05:14:29 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
    Many thanks Andrew for the latest updates, hope you're points issue is soon sorted.
       regards Derek

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything