!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: City of Truro  (Read 8383 times)

Offline johnwillimas

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
City of Truro
« on: October 18, 2018, 12:31:17 PM »
My City of Truro just turned up this am and I am mightily pleased. Beautifully numbered and name plated and of course runs like all the other UM models.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:16:46 PM by johnwillimas »

Offline johnwillimas

• Awards
Re: City of Truro
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 12:43:25 PM »
and another shot....

(Tried rotating this but it doesn't seem to want to know....  :'( )
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:16:06 PM by johnwillimas »

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »
Looks great and you know its going to run well since its a Union Mills, win win  :beers:

Wonder if Colin sends all of the orders for these out at once ?   :hmmm:

Craig

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »
This will be my first UM loco and it looks a treat :drool:

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 02:08:20 PM »
I called @Bob Tidbury this morning and he told me that his City of Truro had arrived this morning, and sure enough an hour or so later so did mine, it was straight up to the loft to be tested (not that it needs doing, Colin tests all his locos before sending them) so here it is, running through Trewoon junction thus scratching a long felt itch!

Well done Colin, it's a beauty  :bounce:

Regards,

Alex

Offline Pedanticmongrel

• N Gauge Society Number: 25784
    • Ebay
    • Pedanticmongrel's N gauge Modelling
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 03:02:13 PM »
This looks like it has potential for detailing into a great model. How much do they cost each?

I think I may have to get one to go through the same treatment as my other UM models!

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
This is by far the best model Colin has done ,in my opinion .and it has got the chimney cap in copper and a brass coloured safety dome so it is a bit dearer than his other models it is also narrower than the Dukedogs ,all I will be doing with mine is adding lamps and vacuum pipes and real coal in the tender and of course a crew if I can find two more , thatís when I get round to it and possibly getting a mate to  paint handrails for me .I would love another one to get repainted into the full Indian red  framed version with full lining .but only if ERNIE BONDS pay out
But it is worth every penny of the £90 including P&P as  all his locos are pre tested and lubricated and fully run in before he sends them out and will pull whatever stock you want with out any problems and for years to come as well , not like SOME of the modern locos that cost a lot more ,true the modern stuff is far more detailed but NOT as reliable as Union Mills Models , only had  one failure a few years ago  and that was a mates fault NOT the locos.
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:44:24 AM by Bob Tidbury »

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
Not sure if it is Colin's best loco to date, I guess that is down to personal preference - I like the later D20 and D16/3 more, but for sure it is a very pretty looking little loco.

One critical observation, compared to a pic of the prototype the loco does appear to sit rather high relative to the tender and the coach behind, a bit like Colin's original D20. Not that I am in the market for one, but if I was that would grate a bit.

See here: -

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6095/6314002077_3912ab1511_b.jpg

Roy

Offline Pedanticmongrel

• N Gauge Society Number: 25784
    • Ebay
    • Pedanticmongrel's N gauge Modelling
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
Not sure if it is Colin's best loco to date, I guess that is down to personal preference - I like the later D20 and D16/3 more, but for sure it is a very pretty looking little loco.

One critical observation, compared to a pic of the prototype the loco does appear to sit rather high relative to the tender and the coach behind, a bit like Colin's original D20. Not that I am in the market for one, but if I was that would grate a bit.

Roy

Roy,

I think all of Colin's locos are perhaps a touch overscale, but it does look the difference in height between the loco and tender on the city of truro is both present on the model and the real thing, just looking at the photo you linked has shown this. I would say from the views I have seen the model sits at most .5 of a mm high at the steps, which isn't a huge deal I would suggest, it's not like the B12/3 for example, where the driving wheels sat well out of the splashers! 

But as for the overall height, not sure if you are aware, but the real CoT is actually taller than a Collett coach!

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »
My order has just arrived and I'm delighted with the look of the loco.

I shan't worry at all if the dimensions are not 100% accurate. To me it will look fine on Hurst Hill, especially after it has some gentle fettling from one of our finest on the Forum.

'Chuffed' may be an accurate description of me right now and 10 days before my birthday, too!  :claphappy:

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »
I was late in ordering so mine probably won't be here until next week :'(
@daveg what requires fettling please, Dave?

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 01:22:23 PM »
It's a lovely model just as it comes but I'd like mine with the red frame. That and a few other touches that Gideon will be doing. I very much suspect he has a few slots booked before me but happy to wait until it's my turn!

Here's a link to a photo that has my preferred livery -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-14983-bachmann-city-of-truro-%E2%80%93-a-clever-design/

Dave G

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 01:25:19 PM »
It's a lovely model just as it comes but I'd like mine with the red frame. That and a few other touches that Gideon will be doing. I very much suspect he has a few slots booked before me but happy to wait until it's my turn!

Here's a link to a photo that has my preferred livery -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-14983-bachmann-city-of-truro-%E2%80%93-a-clever-design/

Dave G

Is this somebody who will repaint for others Dave ?
Craig

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »
One of my mates has just rung me to say he has only just ordered a City of Truro and Colin has got only a few left .and is very busy dispatching all the back orders so he wonít get his untill the end of next week .
So if you want one be quick as he wonít be doing any more for a while .
Colins next locos to be remade are G2 0-8-0 ,3F 0-6-0, Cauliflower 0-60,2P 4-4-0 and D11 Director which he says should be ready in the new year.
Bob Tidbury
Usual disclaimer, Iím only a very happy customer and have no connection with Union Mills Models.

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »

Roy

Roy,

I think all of Colin's locos are perhaps a touch overscale, but it does look the difference in height between the loco and tender on the city of truro is both present on the model and the real thing, just looking at the photo you linked has shown this. I would say from the views I have seen the model sits at most .5 of a mm high at the steps, which isn't a huge deal I would suggest, it's not like the B12/3 for example, where the driving wheels sat well out of the splashers! 

But as for the overall height, not sure if you are aware, but the real CoT is actually taller than a Collett coach!

Hi Dan

To be fair to Colin, not all are particularly overscale, but I have to agree the original B12 (I still have one somewhere) was a real case in point, and yes, that really did grate on me and still would if I ever ran it!

Looking at the profile shot on NGF's Facebook page and alignment of loco and tender steps, I would say CoT probably sits about 1mm too tall, but I'm not trying to rain on anyone else's parade, it seems plenty are absolutely over the moon with their models and good for them.

Let's face it, who would ever have thought we would see this loco RTR in British N!

Best wishes

Roy

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal