!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 31275 times)

Globibahn, Doltic and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online mika

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1275 on: November 20, 2019, 04:35:48 PM »
Looking good, Matt.
I like the canopies.

Best,
Michael

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1276 on: November 21, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »
Looking good, Matt.
I like the canopies.

Best,
Michael

Thank you Michael!  :thumbsup:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1277 on: November 21, 2019, 09:36:53 AM »
It's very strange. The Fleischmann BR101 is now clean as a whistle - contacts spotless, brushes cleaned, wheels look clean (although maybe I should use Isopropyl on the non traction tyre wheels?).

But it's still sputtering on the odd occasion.

I know the decoder is fine as it's run for months AOK with it.

Track may need a clean but other locos are fine.

Anything else I could clean?

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1278 on: November 21, 2019, 09:54:38 AM »
I think I would be tempted to clean the track Matt. Some locos can cope with dirty track better than others.
Failing that I suppose it's possible there could be a loose/faulty connection in the BR101.
John

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1279 on: November 21, 2019, 10:00:36 AM »
Another thought.....With all this talk of cleaning contacts....are they all now making proper contact with the wheels etc.? :hmmm:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 11:41:00 AM by swisstrains »
John

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1280 on: November 21, 2019, 10:42:03 AM »
Does it splutter in one particular spot?  Even if the rails look clean it might be a stray ballast grain, or the track has gone out of level? Wipe the track with a lint-free cloth (old handkerchief is good)?

Do you suffer from temperature variation which might cause condensation on the rails?  I used to get that a lot with the garden line in the late evenings  :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1281 on: November 21, 2019, 01:01:26 PM »
Thanks for tips! I actually only just realised how to take the bogies fully apart  :-[. Here's my report:

1. further dust bunnies and wrapped fibres found around axles/ axle pins
2. inner edges of wheel flanges - dirty
3. contacts to wheel flanges - dirty

All cleaned up again ( with a few panicked references to photos in terms of what way round the wheel sets go)!

Loco is working (post-surgery), will continue to test performance.  8)

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1282 on: November 21, 2019, 02:02:56 PM »
Let there be light!!! 8)

And here's the behind the scenes stuff. It'll be fine, no need for any improvements here! :D

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1283 on: November 21, 2019, 04:16:40 PM »
My head is starting to explode thinking about how to setup the electrics for lighting.

Here's the gear I have, I've tried the little PCB for the inputs from Gaugemaster, it works nicely. My lighting power bus is in place. Just don't know where to go from here  :hmmm:

Do you wire sets of lights up in series? How to join them - solder or choc block? Do I create series loops out of the power bus if you get my drift?

And what about all that exposed conducting metal on the resistors, do I need to sleeve it?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1284 on: November 21, 2019, 06:59:13 PM »
The simple approach is to wire each light to the bus in parallel, making sure each light has a suitable resistor where they are LEDs or low voltage bulbs.  I use choc-blocks if i think I may need to disconnect and remove the item at some point, but some of the fine wires you get on these lights makes it tricky to get a secure connection in the block unless you presolder the end of the wire to a short length of something thicker.   Mostly I prefer to use tag strip and solder for this sort of bus connection.

Yes, definitely put heat shrink over the resistors, leaving just the end of one resistor leg exposed for soldering or fitting into a choc-block.

Here are a couple of examples where I've used different types of tag-strip to take connections from a common "bus" feed:

here both the red and green wires of the bus are distributed (this is actually for my CDU bus)

Here it's just the common side of the circuit that needed to be distributed (siding feeds)

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1285 on: November 21, 2019, 07:22:24 PM »
... this is what I mean about having to solder fine LED wires to something thicker to fit a screw terminal / choc-block.  Whilst adding LED micro lights to some scratch-built model vehicles I needed to create a connection to a main "wiring loom" to allow each vehicle to be set on the layout with its lighting wiring passing through the board.

Each fine wire is soldered to about 2cm of thicker wire, and a suitable coloured heat shrink protects the joint and also indicates which light is which (red tail lights, white headlights, yellow flashing beacons, black common return)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:25:12 PM by ntpntpntp »

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1286 on: November 21, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »
The simple approach is to wire each light to the bus in parallel, making sure each light has a suitable resistor where they are LEDs or low voltage bulbs. 

Thanks Nick, all super helpful tips. I really like the idea of soldering fine wires to thicker wires, as those thin wires are pesky to deal with!

I'll get hold of those tag strips too, that'll be handy.

Matt

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1287 on: November 21, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »
Is this what you mean?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1288 on: November 21, 2019, 09:08:48 PM »
@Globibahn   yeah that kind of thing.

I use these 36 way tag boards all the time as terminators/distribution boards for my D-Sub plugs and sockets.  By soldering a common  along the inside edge of each row of strips you could create the two common rails to which to attach your lights

https://www.railwayscenics.com/36-way-tag-board-strip-rows-of-18-solder-connections-p-362.html

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1289 on: November 22, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »
@ntpntpntp what size of heat shrink do I need to sleeve over the resistors (is it just the legs or the resistor itself)? Do I need to unsolder the cables again, or will the sleeves pass over ok? Cheers Matt

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything