!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 27259 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1200 on: November 08, 2019, 04:19:47 PM »
Installing catenary bases. Haven't stuck the masts in yet.

Regarding the long/short registration arms. I know these alternate along straights to make a zigzag. Where I have dual track as in the photo above, will it be two parallel zigzags (as in A)? Or should it be as B?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1201 on: November 08, 2019, 06:15:44 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen any definitive "rule", but I'd go for "A" simply because I think it would look better with wires strung between and it would make sense to keep the distance between the wires constant.   When I set my wire up it's actually quite a subtle zig-zag, maybe 3-4mm.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:17:30 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1202 on: November 08, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
On normal sections of double track the zig-zag is generally as in "A". As you know the masts on the inside of double track curves are always a different type to the ones on the outside so when the curve straightens out this difference is continued for the first set of masts and then starts to alternate in order to give the zig-zag effect. Exceptions to "A" could be in sidings or when two single track lines come together to run parallel. It is the track layout leading up to the double track section that determines if the zig-zag will be "A" or "B".
It is a bit hard to determine on your masts because they have been simplified but on the real thing the wires are always arranged so that they pull away from the registration arms. Because of that I think the top left mast in your photo should be one with a short arm because it is on the outside of the curve which effectively means that the others all need to be changed. Having said that I wouldn't worry too much as it's only a representation and to do things as per the real thing would require all sorts of fancy masts often with multiple arms.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1203 on: November 09, 2019, 09:23:42 AM »
On normal sections of double track the zig-zag is generally as in "A". As you know the masts on the inside of double track curves are always a different type to the ones on the outside so when the curve straightens out this difference is continued for the first set of masts and then starts to alternate in order to give the zig-zag effect. Exceptions to "A" could be in sidings or when two single track lines come together to run parallel. It is the track layout leading up to the double track section that determines if the zig-zag will be "A" or "B".
It is a bit hard to determine on your masts because they have been simplified but on the real thing the wires are always arranged so that they pull away from the registration arms. Because of that I think the top left mast in your photo should be one with a short arm because it is on the outside of the curve which effectively means that the others all need to be changed. Having said that I wouldn't worry too much as it's only a representation and to do things as per the real thing would require all sorts of fancy masts often with multiple arms.

Thanks Nick and John, refitted accordingly!  :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1204 on: November 09, 2019, 09:40:34 AM »
An express train whooshes out of the tunnel...

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1205 on: November 09, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »

I think Hercules is a great name for this type of loco. It's suits their solid, powerful looks.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1206 on: November 09, 2019, 05:15:42 PM »
I think Hercules is a great name for this type of loco. It's suits their solid, powerful looks.

Totally agree John - I saw loads of lovely red OBB ones hauling freight and passenger services when I was in Austria. They are quite a sight, big and powerful as you say!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1207 on: November 10, 2019, 07:46:46 AM »
I need to get some rubbing alcohol for cleaning loco contacts. Is this stuff the right type, does it matter it seems to have medical usage?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Isopropyl-Rubbing-Alcohol-First-Septic/dp/B00FQLUHSI/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=rubbing+alcohol&qid=1573371890&sr=8-6

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1208 on: November 10, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
I need to get some rubbing alcohol for cleaning loco contacts. Is this stuff the right type, does it matter it seems to have medical usage?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Isopropyl-Rubbing-Alcohol-First-Septic/dp/B00FQLUHSI/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=rubbing+alcohol&qid=1573371890&sr=8-6
I think this must have something added to it for medical purposes. For cleaning you need 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol.
Personally I use one of the electrical contact cleaners such as Servisol or the WD40 one.(NOT ordinary WD40 :no:)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:20:42 AM by swisstrains »
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1209 on: November 10, 2019, 09:16:43 AM »

Rich Tea Biscuit Scandal Update:

Following emergency talks lasting well into the early hours, the management of Globibahn AG have done a full U-turn and decided that, with immediate effect, Globibahn service personel will be receiving both custard creams and bourbons on their scheduled tea breaks. As a gesture of good will, they will also be provided with jammie dodgers.

The news was greeted with enthusiasm by Globibahn staff. :D

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:18:39 AM by Globibahn »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1210 on: November 10, 2019, 09:21:39 AM »
Great modelling.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1211 on: November 10, 2019, 09:22:57 AM »

I think this must have something added to it for medical purposes. For cleaning you need 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol.
Personally I use one of the electrical contact cleaners such as Servisol or the WD40 one.(NOT ordinary WD40 :no:)

Fab, thank you John! :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1212 on: November 10, 2019, 09:24:25 AM »
Are Isopropyl and Isopropanol the same thing?  :hmmm:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards