!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 25196 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1020 on: September 12, 2019, 06:54:05 PM »
Just for you Matt.
Two of my oldest locos. After seeing your photo I decided to give them both a run.

Those look fantastic John, beautiful locos - glad they have had an airing!  :thumbsup:

Cheers for the pic
Matt

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1021 on: September 12, 2019, 07:04:28 PM »
Just for you Matt.
Two of my oldest locos. After seeing your photo I decided to give them both a run.

Nice, I have a couple in the fleet too, though in opposite colours, ie. a brown Minitrix and a green Arnold  :D   

The Jaegerndorfer Kroks look nice but I've read some disappointing reviews of them.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1022 on: September 12, 2019, 08:22:01 PM »
It looks like the Swiss have well and truly invaded Königshafen in this photo Nick.  :D
John

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1023 on: September 12, 2019, 08:35:22 PM »
It looks like the Swiss have well and truly invaded Königshafen in this photo Nick.  :D

Well, one of my regular operating team is a Swiss fan, so sometimes it was a race to see who would get to the exhibition venue in the morning and empty their stock box onto the layout :-)
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1024 on: September 15, 2019, 05:27:49 PM »
https://auktion.kronofogden.se/auk/w.object?inC=KFM&inA=20190911_1058&inO=3&fbclid=IwAR3AjxvTjL37OGLlyFYQ_MuwOY4GtViOj89xM-2Q9dA-YXTUCvX-mjtXrgg

Typical! A WLAB sleeper car comes up for sale in Sweden and I don't have any loose change to buy it. Oh well, next time!  :D

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1025 on: September 20, 2019, 02:48:22 AM »
Just stumbled upon this thread. Really good work. :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1026 on: September 20, 2019, 08:03:16 AM »
Just stumbled upon this thread. Really good work. :thumbsup:

Thank you - I'm taking a short break from modelling on the layout as my enthusiasm was plateuing! Services will resume soon. :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1027 on: September 21, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »
I'm in a bit of a quandry over camera choice for my Austria interrail trip. Subject matter will be mostly trains and scenery. Bear in mind I'm staying in hostels or in couchette cariages.

I've narrowed it down to the following two options:

1.Small dslr with pancake style lens
Advantages: light weight easier for walking about, relatively low value if gets nicked, less conspicuous
Disadvantages: smaller viewfinder makes composing pictures not quite as joyful

2.Big dslr with pancake style lens
Advantages: highest quality images, better to use it than have it gathering dust at home, lovely big viewfinder
Disadvantages: high value if gets nicked, rather heavier to carry about (in fact it's 250gr heavier), slighty more conspicuous

Added to this problem I also like sketching!

Interested in your viewpoints.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1028 on: September 21, 2019, 09:36:09 AM »
Take the bigger/better one, then you have the best chance of capturing good source material that you can edit later if necessary.
250g is nothing!

I get so annoyed if I get home from a trip and the images just don't "cut it".

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1029 on: September 21, 2019, 10:21:49 AM »
Is there a noticeable difference in quality between your "small" and "large" DSLR's Matt? If not, then on the type of trip you are planning I would probably go for the smaller, lighter option but without knowing the specs of your two cameras it is hard to make a judgement.
I'm fussy about my photos also and for many years hauled a heavy Nikon D300 (+lenses) around the Alps but then I discovered the tiny mirrorless Olympus EM10 and on the go outdoor photography suddenly became much less of a chore. Because digital cameras had moved on from when I bought the Nikon the Olympus was technically capable of better quality photos but for normal viewing and editing I wouldn't say it was that noticeable. I think we can be influenced too much by "numbers" and look too deeply into specs. Digital photography has certainly made things a lot easier for many people but at the end of the day a good photo is still mainly created by the person and not the camera. Unless your small DSLR is really low spec or potentially unreliable then I would go for convenience.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:24:16 AM by swisstrains »
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1030 on: September 21, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
at the end of the day a good photo is still mainly created by the person and not the camera

Thanks Nick and John. Yes above point is very true John!

The big dslr is full frame and the small is APS crop sensor. I have taken some extremely good photos with the small camera. There is not really a huge noticeable difference and the smaller camera is definitely good enough.

I will have a further ponder.....

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1031 on: September 21, 2019, 05:43:06 PM »
Hi Matt. I can imagine how heavy your full frame DSLR must be. My Nikon is only a semi pro camera and it weighs 1839 gr. with it's short telephoto lens. Having said that I assume your smaller DSLR must be fairly high end if it's only 250 gr. lighter. My Olympus weighs in at a mere 503 gr. complete with small telephoto so the saving in weight is really noticeable especially when doing long walks. Although weight reduction can be important I personally find that a less bulky camera can also be advantageous when travelling. That is assuming that the camera still has all the required features and isn't so small that it is uncomfortable or awkward to use. No matter which camera you decide to take there are bound to be some shots that you are unhappy with and that means you will just have to go back again next year. :D
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1032 on: September 22, 2019, 02:55:31 PM »
I personally find that a less bulky camera can also be advantageous when travelling. No matter which camera you decide to take there are bound to be some shots that you are unhappy with and that means you will just have to go back again next year. :D

I'm inclined to agree John - and yes indeed I hope to make more trips afterwards!  :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1033 on: September 22, 2019, 02:57:38 PM »
I'm toying with the idea of building a small HO functioning diorama to run alongside my N gauge project, can anybody recommend a good HO forum? If I do the project I'll share the HO thread of course with you all.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1034 on: September 23, 2019, 06:39:46 PM »
Ok, for the sake of not being kicked off this forum, the BW style diorama below would be N Gauge, definitely not HO :D.

It's basically just for displaying a small collection of locos and carriages and to fiddle about with moving said from one place to another. Thoughts are welcome. It'll probably be DCC with DCC points if I can afford it. It's meant to represent outskirts of some large town or city.

P.s. if I do actually make this I'll switch it to an HO thread  :)

P.p.s yes it is designed with future expansion in mind!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 06:41:36 PM by Globibahn »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here