!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 45169 times)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #900 on: June 30, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »
Very rare that a build up of a little carbon brush dust causes any problems, it's a natural part of the motor running and just something to clean out during regular servicing.  However if the brushes are defective and/or if lubrication gets onto the commutator as John says, that's when you'll find the motor may not run as it should. Commutator segments get clogged with conductive gunk upsetting the motor poles. Fortunately with the traditional Fleischmann motor it's easy to clean out.  Shouldn't have to do it with a new loco though.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #901 on: June 30, 2019, 07:53:26 PM »
Very rare that a build up of a little carbon brush dust causes any problems, it's a natural part of the motor running and just something to clean out during regular servicing. Shouldn't have to do it with a new loco though.

Ok, well we'll see wha the shop say when they take a look. It is a mystery at any rate!  :confused2:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #902 on: June 30, 2019, 07:58:43 PM »
After several reported near misses, the Globibahn H&S committee are insisting that proper safety equipment be installed on my rail crossings. First I tried distracting them from the topic with tea and scones, and when that didn't work I tried to fire them (apparently that's not allowed under some act or other). :D

But it seems that it really cannot be avoided any longer. So I've started planning exactly what needs to be done. Lots of road marking and red and white-striping to be done - at least the little people will be safe!

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #903 on: June 30, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
Hi Matt. In the last few years I've had a number of Fleischmann locos that have started to run erratically after only a short period of use. My first reaction was to check that none of Fleischmanns often excessive lubrication had contaminated the motor or pickups but on closer inspection it turned out to be carbon dust from the brushes. I think they must have had a batch of "softer" brushes because the amount of dust was much greater than I would have expected for the length of time the loco had been running. In all cases cleaning out the dust resulted in smooth running again. Up to now I haven't had to repeat the exercise with any of the offending locos so the excessive carbon dust could either be the result of the brushes "bedding in" or the material hardens with use. Just a thought.
Interesting, thank you for those observations! Both my Fleischmann BR23 and my BR50, bought within short order of each other, exhibited that characteristic. I ended up buying a new motor for the BR23 (as an indirect consequence of a failed repair attempt involving my BR38 and accidently damaging that motor, but that's another story), which solved the problem. Repeated cleaning sorted the BR50, although recently it's been playing up again. I'm not a fan of Fleischmann's 3 pole motor, which they continue to fit to older locomotives (probably won't affect the Globibahn!), including the new BR86 tank engine - looks great, waddles like a duck and is about as controllable as their other 3 pole offerings. My Minitrix locomotives, by contrast, purr along...
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #904 on: July 01, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »
New arrival on the Globibahn this morning, a true racing thorough-bred! I've wanted one of these for about 27 years! :D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #905 on: July 02, 2019, 08:32:42 PM »
Removing the masking to reveal the road markings. Bit of touch in done with a small brush. Job's a good'un!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #906 on: July 03, 2019, 03:27:09 PM »
Here's a couple of new pics...

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #907 on: July 03, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »
The road crossing is looking good.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #908 on: July 04, 2019, 09:30:05 AM »
The road crossing is looking good.  :thumbsup:

Thank you, need to add the barriers etc. of course!  :thumbsup: :beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #909 on: July 07, 2019, 05:28:18 PM »
I'm making pine trees again - the first thing I did for my layout!

I need lots more baby ones.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #910 on: July 07, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »
A little something for inspiration.   All sorts of shots, including Swiss RhB with lots of trees :-)

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #911 on: July 08, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »
A little something for inspiration.   All sorts of shots, including Swiss RhB with lots of trees :-)

Excellent vid - yes lots of fir trees!!! :D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #912 on: July 09, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
I've been fantasising over how a future "Neue Globibahn" might be designed. I'd need to put some more furniture on the bonfire to accomodate it!!!

Would a concept like this work - the idea is three sections which can be taken apart for transport?

I'm imagining that you can't have angled or curved track crossing section joins.

I've not curved the platforms as I prefer straight platforms where possible.

Another option might be to have the whole lot set on a slight angle as with my current layout, not sure again if that's possible with a baseboard thats in sections.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #913 on: July 09, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »
I like the second version.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #914 on: July 09, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
I've been fantasising over how a future "Neue Globibahn" might be designed. I'd need to put some more furniture on the bonfire to accomodate it!!!

do it!!

I'm imagining that you can't have angled or curved track crossing section joins.

Yes you can as long as your boards have accurate alignment (eg. use pattern maker's dowels), and decent nuts/bolts which tie the boards together nice and flat without any humps and bumps.  The rails need to be properly secured to the board edges and then cut (I solder the rail to brass screws).

Another option might be to have the whole lot set on a slight angle as with my current layout, not sure again if that's possible with a baseboard thats in sections.

I think the second suggestion is a slightly nicer looking arrangement. I know some folk on here have a real bee in their bonnets about not having tracks parallel to the front of the layout :-)

One thing I would suggest is arrange the fiddle yard tracks in a ladder / parallelogram formation so that all the lines are the same length (more obvious on the "red fiddleyard" in the photo below). I find that much more useful than having to restrict your longest train to only one line, especially if you have any sort of passing loop on the scenic side which might let you change the order of the trains running round the line.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:32:56 PM by ntpntpntp »

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal