!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 54425 times)

Online Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #885 on: June 26, 2019, 11:37:16 AM »
It should work fine reverting to DC.  The accessory decoder can probably stay connected, it should do nothing as it won't see a DCC signal addressing it.  Mind you, disconnecting it would remove it as a possible (though unlikely) source of the problem.

I've converted the layout back to DC (temporarily - sorry puritans  :D). All locos smooth as silk.

So my problems must be chip/CV/command centre based.

I was looking at getting the Digikeijs DR5000 and hooking to JMRI on my Mac so I can really tweak up CVs.  :hmmm:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #886 on: June 27, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »
This is interesting.

I've been having a play with my layout regressed bark to the dark ages of DC  :D.

My new Fleischmann BR110 works smoothly on DC. However it is very susceptible to corner drag when going around radii (R3 and R3A) with a rake of coaches. It will even just stop sometimes if it's come crawling off a straight at low speed. It's running with it's chip in rather than a blanking plug.

Is that normal? My other locos don't seem as affected. I've multimetered around the curves and current flow is consistant. :hmmm:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #887 on: June 27, 2019, 11:50:13 AM »
If you're trying to run slow you may be on the cusp of the decoder's "wake up voltage" - remember the chip needs around 6V ish to wake up and realise it's running on DC  If you're only just at that voltage it may be struggling, the additional load going round curves could be enough to drop the voltage a little bit and confuse it.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #888 on: June 27, 2019, 11:50:38 AM »
This is interesting.

I've been having a play with my layout regressed bark to the dark ages of DC  :D.

My new Fleischmann BR110 works smoothly on DC. However it is very susceptible to corner drag when going around radii (R3 and R3A) with a rake of coaches. It will even just stop sometimes if it's come crawling off a straight at low speed. It's running with it's chip in rather than a blanking plug.

Is that normal? My other locos don't seem as affected. I've multimetered around the curves and current flow is consistant. :hmmm:

Are the back to backs on the wheels ok? If they're a bit narrow the wheels on the inside might be getting light as you corner and they're pulled away from the rail.

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #889 on: June 28, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »

Are the back to backs on the wheels ok? If they're a bit narrow the wheels on the inside might be getting light as you corner and they're pulled away from the rail.

Good point - I'll need to buy myself a gauge to test with!

Cheers
Matt

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #890 on: June 28, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »
If you're trying to run slow you may be on the cusp of the decoder's "wake up voltage" - remember the chip needs around 6V ish to wake up and realise it's running on DC  If you're only just at that voltage it may be struggling, the additional load going round curves could be enough to drop the voltage a little bit and confuse it.

That could well be the problem.

Meanwhile, I've put the loco back to DCC and spent ages tweaking CVs. Fleischmann BR110 Loco is performing much better but not quite perfect yet. I can see I must find a way to start using JMRI Decoder Pro. I've been looking at Sprog II or getting the supplier to preconfig a Digikreis DR5000 so I can use it on a Mac.

I think the LAN port on Roco white z21s (another option I'm considering) is actually locked if you don't buy it with the full wireless kit - if so that's very annoying! (don't require wireless) :'(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:27:45 AM by Globibahn »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #891 on: June 28, 2019, 12:46:26 PM »
SPROG is a great little bit of kit. I've used one for years (old serial port version). 
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #892 on: June 28, 2019, 12:48:20 PM »
SPROG is a great little bit of kit. I've used one for years (old serial port version).

Fab! Did you use it with Decoder Pro?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #893 on: June 28, 2019, 12:54:54 PM »

Fab! Did you use it with Decoder Pro?

Yes.  I'd say the DecoderPro user interface is (or at least was) a bit geeky but does the job very well.  Being an IT developer geeky interfaces are not a problem :-)

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #894 on: June 29, 2019, 11:56:47 AM »
Yes.  I'd say the DecoderPro user interface is (or at least was) a bit geeky but does the job very well.  Being an IT developer geeky interfaces are not a problem :-)

Geeky is fine!

By the way here is the decoder installation in the loco which is jumping about like a jack in the box. It just occured to me that the sandwiching of the chip components with the main PCB may be causing some kind of interference?

I should maybe try a different make of decoder.  :hmmm:

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #895 on: June 29, 2019, 12:25:21 PM »
Zimo chips can give jumpy running if the thin pins are too loose a fit in the DCC socket.  In such cases, bending a very slight kink into each of the 6 pins often cures it :thumbsup:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #896 on: June 29, 2019, 12:32:01 PM »
Zimo chips can give jumpy running if the thin pins are too loose a fit in the DCC socket.  In such cases, bending a very slight kink into each of the 6 pins often cures it :thumbsup:

Funny you should say that, that's already been done to the chip (when it was in another loco being serviced)!

I've tried it with a 'straight pin' chip and a different 'pins with kink' chip - still no joy.

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #897 on: June 29, 2019, 07:38:47 PM »
I've done some spray painting of my 'Portier' bar and also finished the signal box level crossing ramps. I've learned to wait for painted areas to cure a few days before putting masking on top - as had a bit of peel off when doing the station. Live and learn!

There's going to be a modern art sculpture in between the main station building and the bar. Not quite sure which one yet - something Bauhaus-ish.

Still need to gravel the roof of the Portier bar and some additional painting.

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #898 on: June 30, 2019, 10:16:10 AM »
Hi Matt. In the last few years I've had a number of Fleischmann locos that have started to run erratically after only a short period of use. My first reaction was to check that none of Fleischmanns often excessive lubrication had contaminated the motor or pickups but on closer inspection it turned out to be carbon dust from the brushes. I think they must have had a batch of "softer" brushes because the amount of dust was much greater than I would have expected for the length of time the loco had been running. In all cases cleaning out the dust resulted in smooth running again. Up to now I haven't had to repeat the exercise with any of the offending locos so the excessive carbon dust could either be the result of the brushes "bedding in" or the material hardens with use. Just a thought.
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #899 on: June 30, 2019, 01:58:58 PM »
Hi Matt. In the last few years I've had a number of Fleischmann locos that have started to run erratically after only a short period of use. My first reaction was to check that none of Fleischmanns often excessive lubrication had contaminated the motor or pickups but on closer inspection it turned out to be carbon dust from the brushes. I think they must have had a batch of "softer" brushes because the amount of dust was much greater than I would have expected for the length of time the loco had been running. In all cases cleaning out the dust resulted in smooth running again. Up to now I haven't had to repeat the exercise with any of the offending locos so the excessive carbon dust could either be the result of the brushes "bedding in" or the material hardens with use. Just a thought.

Hi John,

That's really intersting and would well make sense, especially with the scenario I've had with it being fine for initial run-in period. I'm sending it back to the supplier to give it an expert once-over so we'll see if he discovers any carbon build up.

Cheers
Matt

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal