!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 54179 times)

ngaugepaul, Macnabs and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1620 on: February 12, 2020, 02:00:40 PM »
Hi Matt,

A mate of mine used to do spud picking as a holiday job years ago. Hope you're fit as it sounded pretty physical stuff. Sounds good though and the views should be great.

Hope you have fun and look forward to the pics (trains not spuds  :D).

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1621 on: February 12, 2020, 02:21:47 PM »
Hi Matt,

A mate of mine used to do spud picking as a holiday job years ago. Hope you're fit as it sounded pretty physical stuff. Sounds good though and the views should be great.

Hope you have fun and look forward to the pics (trains not spuds  :D).

LOL Weave, yes I reckon I can shift spuds for Britain/Austria!

Most my recent trips have involved only big stations so far, I'm looking forward to spending time in a place 'along the main line' rather than at either end so-to-speak. :thumbsup:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #1622 on: February 12, 2020, 04:30:07 PM »
Hi again. Just Googled Semmering Bahnhof. Looks like lots of interesting things to see and probably so much better than a large terminus where you can actually get to see very little sometimes unless you're in the know of vantage points.

Also, I bet the food will taste fantastic compared to Supermarket rubbish.

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1623 on: February 12, 2020, 06:47:20 PM »
Doesn't take long for the advertising companies to make their move! :)

Swissair...….Now that's a blast from the past. :D
Good to see that the Globibahn is promoting my favourite country. :thumbsup:
John

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1624 on: February 12, 2020, 06:53:44 PM »
I've just booked my next trip away for the spring time!

I've been investigating ways to travel cheaply and came across workaway, it's a scheme where you can volunteer your manual labour services in return for food and lodgings.

The upshot is I'm going to stay for a week helping a young couple on their small organic farm in the Styrian region. Coincidentally they happen to live on the Semmeringbahn, pretty to close to Semmering itself.

So I'll be digging potatos whilst watching Railjet and Nightjet trains pass by - literally heaven!

I'll probably add on a couple of days of train travel too, going to Salzburg for hosteling etc. :claphappy:

Now that we have left the EU is this a sign of things to come?. …………...UK migrants working on Austrian farms. ;)

I hope the farmer you work for is more cheerful than the one at St.Jakob on the Brennerbahn who waved a hayrake threateningly at the wife and I for walking round the edge of his field. :D
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1625 on: February 12, 2020, 07:37:01 PM »

Now that we have left the EU is this a sign of things to come?. …………...UK migrants working on Austrian farms. ;)

I hope the farmer you work for is more cheerful than the one at St.Jakob on the Brennerbahn who waved a hayrake threateningly at the wife and I for walking round the edge of his field. :D

LOL working 9-5 what a way to make a living.....

I'll check and see if they have hayrakes or not... :smiley-laughing:

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1626 on: February 12, 2020, 08:37:11 PM »
These are my cleaning steps:

1. Clean track
2. Open loco. Dissasemble bogies. Clean any caught gunk from axles.
3. Clean each wheel with isopropyl swab. Scrape traction tyres with cocktail stick.
4. Clean wheel pickups with isopopyl, check firm contact to wheels.
5. Clean bogie to chasis contacts with isopropyl.
6. Remove brushes and clean by gently rolling in kitchen paper.

I wondered if I am missing anything?

Do you fancy cleaning this one?  :D

Photo by: Marc Meschenmoser
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1627 on: February 12, 2020, 08:47:38 PM »

Do you fancy cleaning this one?  :D

Photo by: Marc Meschenmoser

Gosh I thought that was a vinyl advertising livery at first!!!! :confused1:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1628 on: February 13, 2020, 09:50:08 AM »
I've had the new 3.3K resistors come in and they are perfect for the LED light stips. I was wondering @ntpntpntp if, when heat shrinking, I should leave the body of the resistor exposed (to alow heat to escape better)? Or would the body itself conduct to create shorts with nearby electrics? :hmmm:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1629 on: February 13, 2020, 10:48:56 AM »
@Globibahn  when you buy lights with pre-fitted resistors you'll quite often find the entire resistor is covered in heatshrink.   When I do my own it depends on what size heatshrink I'm using, so if the wires to the resistor are very small the size of heatshrink may not go over the resistor anyway so I use two pieces either side  :D   

It can be handy to leave the resistor uncovered simply so you can see what value it is when you come back to doing some more lights in the future.

Don't worry about heat escape, we shouldn't be running resistors that hot for our purposes.

No the resistor body is not conductive.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Kφnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1630 on: February 13, 2020, 11:57:36 AM »
@Globibahn  when you buy lights with pre-fitted resistors you'll quite often find the entire resistor is covered in heatshrink.   When I do my own it depends on what size heatshrink I'm using, so if the wires to the resistor are very small the size of heatshrink may not go over the resistor anyway so I use two pieces either side  :D   

It can be handy to leave the resistor uncovered simply so you can see what value it is when you come back to doing some more lights in the future.

Don't worry about heat escape, we shouldn't be running resistors that hot for our purposes.

No the resistor body is not conductive.

Great thanks Nick - actually it had occured to me it is useful to be able to see the resistor if at all possible, I'm already having difficulty keeping track of what I put where!!!

Now they are already soldered though I may need to cover over them entirely.

Cheers
Matt

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1631 on: February 13, 2020, 04:04:01 PM »
Got sick of having the baseboard on it's side. I have done a lot of work installing soldering tag strips and tidying wires and, although still more to do, have righted the layout up again to take a look at things.

I've made lots of lighting plug sockets so it's fairly easy to keep adding light strips to the buildings now. Sorry for always the same angles!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:23:12 PM by Globibahn »

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1632 on: February 13, 2020, 04:41:08 PM »
Here's the situation down under. If anyone told me a year ago I'd create this electronics spaghetti and it actually all works, I would have thought they were mad!  :D

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1633 on: February 13, 2020, 04:57:49 PM »
I've just booked my next trip away for the spring time!

I've been investigating ways to travel cheaply and came across workaway, it's a scheme where you can volunteer your manual labour services in return for food and lodgings.

The upshot is I'm going to stay for a week helping a young couple on their small organic farm in the Styrian region. Coincidentally they happen to live on the Semmeringbahn, pretty to close to Semmering itself.

So I'll be digging potatos whilst watching Railjet and Nightjet trains pass by - literally heaven!

I'll probably add on a couple of days of train travel too, going to Salzburg for hosteling etc. :claphappy:

Schnell, Matt, schnell !! ……….Jawohl Frau Kartoffel.
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1634 on: February 13, 2020, 07:23:56 PM »

Schnell, Matt, schnell !! ……….Jawohl Frau Kartoffel.

LOL John, I'll try to get a replica photo taken while I'm there!  :laughabovepost:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal