!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 45363 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1530 on: January 24, 2020, 08:34:38 PM »
Just seen on ÖBB Instagram that there is a new NightJet Brussels - Vienna service. That's very handy for London-Brussels-Vienna! :thumbsup:

https://www.nightjet.com/en/reiseziele/belgien.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:39:52 PM by Globibahn »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1531 on: January 25, 2020, 06:58:34 AM »
Just seen on ÖBB Instagram that there is a new NightJet Brussels - Vienna service. That's very handy for London-Brussels-Vienna! :thumbsup:

https://www.nightjet.com/en/reiseziele/belgien.html

After initial disappointment that Eurostar to Brussels is indeed normally rather expensive, but I now see it's ony Ł17 from London to Brussels by Flixbus - perfect! :D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1532 on: January 25, 2020, 11:31:19 AM »
A morning of more backscene work.

So it turns out it is slightly a nightmare trying to retrofit stuff like this. I have finally managed to get the hill module back into a stable state (hurrah for the new hot glue gun!) after having to temporarily remove some of the supporting structure (first pic) for trimming it (i.e. violently hacking away at it). :D

Will need to prime the ply properly before painting, luckily know a bit about this stuff from my art painting background.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 11:34:06 AM by Globibahn »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1533 on: January 25, 2020, 12:12:49 PM »
Will the backscene be removable so you can clean and maintain the track in the tunnel?   Often overlooked!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1534 on: January 25, 2020, 12:27:35 PM »
Will the backscene be removable so you can clean and maintain the track in the tunnel?   Often overlooked!

Yes Nick I had thought about that, but thanks for checking! It is to be removable not only for cleaning, but also for if I move. The idea for any future portability is to turn the layout into a kind of a wooden box, which would need to be the smallest volume I can get it.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1536 on: January 25, 2020, 02:55:05 PM »
If I remember correctly, most of the LED's I have used have been 3mm - not sure, apart from size of course, if there is any real difference.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1537 on: January 25, 2020, 04:15:33 PM »
I  suppose you might get a slightly better spread of diffused light with 5mm but probably not much difference.

There is a bewildering choice of LEDs to play with these days, difficult to know what's best for something like building lights. I've been impressed with the stick-on LED strips I'm using for my loco sheds.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1538 on: January 25, 2020, 04:30:05 PM »
Thanks chaps, oh yes lighting strips, there's yet another option!

Meanwhile, I've glued in some of my street lamps. Will need to have plenty more.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1539 on: January 26, 2020, 09:18:06 AM »
I wonder if these LED strips require resistors?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122333010047

Or is resistance futile?  :D

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1540 on: January 26, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »
I wonder if these LED strips require resistors?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122333010047

Or is resistance futile?  :D

They are the ones I've just been installing, from that seller  :D    They work just fine on 9V-12V with their built-in resistors but I found them too bright for the effect I'm after so I added a 1k resistor to each strip.  I used copper tape as the "bus bar" and unsoldered the supplied leads. 

As supplied each long strip draws about 160mA. With the extra resistors, all 6 strips under the large roof  are drawing 60mA in total.

I've used warm white strips in the workshop to be different from the cool white in the main shed

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:28:59 AM by ntpntpntp »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1541 on: January 26, 2020, 07:30:32 PM »

They are the ones I've just been installing, from that seller  :D    They work just fine on 9V-12V with their built-in resistors but I found them too bright for the effect I'm after so I added a 1k resistor to each strip.  I used copper tape as the "bus bar" and unsoldered the supplied leads. 

Totally brilliant Nick!

I think I'll buy them for my buildings and also get the same resistors to dull down a little. Is 1k about the same as the resistors supplied with the mast lamps?

Cheers
Matt

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1542 on: January 26, 2020, 07:37:04 PM »
Is 1k about the same as the resistors supplied with the mast lamps?

Yes that's right.   It's such a commonly used value with our 12V model railways it's worth having some in your bits box, and usually a good/safe starting point even if you find a higher value looks better.   In fact you've just reminded me I used my last one today, I must order another bunch  :D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1543 on: January 26, 2020, 07:39:58 PM »
Is 1k about the same as the resistors supplied with the mast lamps?
Yes that's right. 

Cool beans!

On the same note, my street lamps come with those same resistors. If I wanted to dull some of the street lamps further, what value of resistor would be a good starting point?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1544 on: January 26, 2020, 08:35:28 PM »
@Globibahn   Well if you don't want to buy a whole set of resistors with a range of values, for starters you could get some 1k  and try a second one in series with the street lamp to give you 2k total, or even try two more in series to make 3k total ... and so on until they look right.

The street lamps I'm using now have 4k7 resistors on 12V - so that's quite a bit more!  Where I have 3 of those lamps in close proximity I wired them in series with each other and with a 1k5 resistor.

Resistors cost pennies (I've just ordered 100x 1k for Ł1.69 as I want them quick, or you can get 100 for 99p from China). So if you find you prefer the look of say 2k, 3k, 4k or whatever total you end up with, then buy a bunch of the nearest available value to use instead of the originally supplied resistor.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal