!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 55730 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1425 on: December 13, 2019, 08:56:47 PM »
I'm looking at the possibility of interrailing from Copenhagen, Denmark to Syracuse, Sicily during the Summer. It's 4 sleeper trains, 2 of which are also boat trains! To break up the sleeper trains I'll use day trains around Milan/Florence/Rome methinks. Plus I'll be sleeping extra nights in some of the cities such as Berlin and especially once down in Italy. Will take two weeks to get north to south.

Current route planning looks a bit like this but will prob change it (also depends on finances of course).

Copenhagen-Malmo (day)
Malmo - Berlin (boat rain day/night)
Berlin - Vienna (night)
Vienna - Milan (night)
Milan - Florence (day)
Florence - Rome (day)
Rome - Syracuse (boat trian day/night)

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1426 on: December 13, 2019, 09:08:24 PM »
Wow. That's one fantastic journey. Hope you can manage it Matt. :thumbsup:
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1427 on: December 13, 2019, 09:26:31 PM »

Thanks John - yes it's enjoyable to plan these things too!

By the way there was one thing with the AE6/6. It would score 10/10 but I'll have to give it a 9/10, as there is a very faint raspy/reverberation/sound coming from somewhere. Doesn't really bother me and I think it's just one of those things. It's the reason I put a pin head blob of Trix worm and gear lubricant in the appropriate places. Still there though. The AE6/6 does have a couple of plastic attachments, the boxy bit between the bogies and the aesthetic front skirt so it may be a bit of looseness there.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #1428 on: December 13, 2019, 10:11:02 PM »
Hi Matt,

Does sound like a great trip. Very jealous :envy:. Have done London - Calais - Milan via Switzerland, Milan - Rome and then Rome - Syracuse and a bit further down with only one stopover in Rome. Absolutely fantastic. This was in the mid '80s so probably took twice as long although if you like trains it's a bonus.

Have never been to Denmark and would love to go. I know it's a long way off but please, please some pics of the train ferries, both Danish and Italian if you do go.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1429 on: December 14, 2019, 09:47:57 AM »

…………….

By the way there was one thing with the AE6/6. It would score 10/10 but I'll have to give it a 9/10, as there is a very faint raspy/reverberation/sound coming from somewhere. Doesn't really bother me and I think it's just one of those things. It's the reason I put a pin head blob of Trix worm and gear lubricant in the appropriate places. Still there though. The AE6/6 does have a couple of plastic attachments, the boxy bit between the bogies and the aesthetic front skirt so it may be a bit of looseness there.

Hi Matt. As you have no doubt noticed the centre axle of the bogies on the Ae6/6 isn't driven and is free to move about quite a bit. Could there be some sort of vibration/rattle developing as a result? I have three Fleischmann Ae6/6's and can't detect any unusual sounds but I suppose it could be a "track thing". You use Fleischmann and I use Peco. ???
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1430 on: December 14, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
Hi Matt,

Does sound like a great trip. Very jealous :envy:. Have done London - Calais - Milan via Switzerland, Milan - Rome and then Rome - Syracuse and a bit further down with only one stopover in Rome. Absolutely fantastic. This was in the mid '80s so probably took twice as long although if you like trains it's a bonus.

Have never been to Denmark and would love to go. I know it's a long way off but please, please some pics of the train ferries, both Danish and Italian if you do go.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Thanks Weave, yes I'd take lots of photos for N Gauge Forum, have no fear! So glad boat trains still exist.  :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1431 on: December 14, 2019, 10:16:22 AM »

Hi Matt. As you have no doubt noticed the centre axle of the bogies on the Ae6/6 isn't driven and is free to move about quite a bit. Could there be some sort of vibration/rattle developing as a result? I have three Fleischmann Ae6/6's and can't detect any unusual sounds but I suppose it could be a "track thing". You use Fleischmann and I use Peco. ???

Morning John, yes it could be that. I do wonder if it's motor related though. I've recorded it here. Like I say, it's no biggie though, and you can't tell when the loco's consisted anyway.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/isZq5HVr2MbDzadv5

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1432 on: December 14, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
Mmm...I don't know. There does appear to be some resonance from your baseboard though. Could just be that amplifying the sound and making it sound worse than it really is.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1433 on: December 14, 2019, 11:43:34 AM »
Mmm...I don't know. There does appear to be some resonance from your baseboard though. Could just be that amplifying the sound and making it sound worse than it really is.

It's hard to hear in the video. I'm going to ignore it, it's just a quirk of that loco!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1434 on: December 14, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »
I've installed the footings to support the layout when it goes onto it's side for wiring work. Nothing pretty but it won't be seen, as it will ultimately support a backscene.

I'll do 'The Big Tipover' with my mate Trevor around the beginning of January, so will have to wait till then to see if it works.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1435 on: December 14, 2019, 02:10:57 PM »
Listening to the recording, I don't hear anything particularly untoward with the sound of the loco, but that's a lot of  board resonance as @swisstrains says.  Perhaps when you've tidied up the wiring you might want to add some muffling material underneath?

The bodyshell of a loco can have quite an effect on the sound.  @Invicta Alec has just been just round for a visit and we were going through some of my British N collection, discussing and running locos round my test/service track. Some of them hadn't turned a wheel for a year or so.  When it came to a Kato/CJM LeShuttle  loco, there was a noticeable "needs oiling" sound from the mechanism, but when I removed the body the chassis was much quieter.  I gave it a very light oil-round anyway.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1436 on: December 14, 2019, 02:35:12 PM »
Perhaps when you've tidied up the wiring you might want to add some muffling material underneath?

Thanks for listening John/Nick.

Yes I think maybe some muffling is needed. How does that work in terms of there being wiring though. Do you just add muffling to any empty spaces that can be found? Is expanded polysteyrene a good material?

Matt

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #1437 on: December 14, 2019, 02:40:01 PM »

The bodyshell of a loco can have quite an effect on the sound. 

@Invicta Alec[/url] has just been just round for a visit and we were going through some of my British N collection, discussing and running locos round my test/service track. Some of them hadn't turned a wheel for a year or so.  When it came to a Kato/CJM LeShuttle  loco, there was a noticeable "needs oiling" sound from the mechanism, but when I removed the body the chassis was much quieter.

Nick @ntpntpntp explained to me that his LeShuttle hadn't been out of its box in a long while. We agreed that it was a "bit of a noisy b*gger" as it set off for a couple of laps of the test track. Nick popped the body off and it was amazing the immediate difference in sound levels. Board resonance as explained.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1438 on: December 14, 2019, 02:44:53 PM »
It's a Fleischmann loco IIRC? Would it be OK with No. 2 end leading and rough with No. 1 end leading by any chance? That seems to be a Fleischmann 'thing'.

Interesting. How do you determine direction 1 and 2? :hmmm:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1439 on: December 14, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »
Do you just add muffling to any empty spaces that can be found? Is expanded polysteyrene a good material?

Even expanded polystyrene can be quite resonant. I'd go for something more foam-like. It will be a case of trial and error to find what is most effective.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal