!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 08 to Victorian F class  (Read 201 times)

Offline Tony S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Class 08 to Victorian F class
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:07:06 AM »
I was asked about my conversions of a couple of Class 08 shunters to Victorian Railways' F class. The VR bought 16 Class 08 locos in 1951, the first diesel units to run in Victoria (photo 1, courtesy Mark Bau, http://www.victorianrailways.net/ ). They were designated as F class. Although my layout, based on a rural Victorian junction station and single track branch line, doesnít really need an F class shunter, I was attracted by the challenge of converting a Class 08. And who doesnít want more locos?

Unfortunately I made a relatively easy job of decoder installation into a drama by using a TCS Z2 decoder, which I have in several other locos. But its size necessitated a lot of grinding and filing to get it in (photo 2), and the upshot is that the unit does not run very well. The other problem is that the side rods stick out so far I couldnít fit any shuntersí safety boards to it (photo 3), and these are a distinctive feature of the prototype.

I then obtained one of the older Farish Class 08s (known as a Poole model, I think) with one-piece chassis. I fitted a digi-hat to one of the motor brush housings and installed a Lenz Silver Mini decoder, which is really tiny. I like lights in all my locos so utilised four surface mount micro LEDs (photo 4). Shuntersí boards were also attached (photo 5). It runs reasonably well and has excellent pulling power, so Iím pretty happy with it.

But it sounds like a meat grinder, and Iím wondering if anyone has experience with the Silver Mini decoder. Iíve tweaked CV50 a bit but nothing seems to change, and the minute manual is not very forthcoming. Does anyone have a definitive list of Silver Mini CVs and what they do? I run a 5amp NCE system.
Cheers
Tony

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Class 08 to Victorian F class
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:36:14 AM »
Have you turned the coupling rods over, or did the Poole Farish one have them on upside down?

I hope the bearings are greased, otherwise the oil will run out of the pots :hmmm:

Offline Tony S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »
That's the way it was when I got it.

Tony

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 12:43:49 PM »
Have you turned the coupling rods over, or did the Poole Farish one have them on upside down?

C'mon Chris - Victoria - Australia.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »

C'mon Chris - Victoria - Australia.  ;)

You now owe me a decaffeinated computer screen   :D

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 12:55:20 PM »
 :smiley-laughing: Sorry!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal