!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DCC for totally separate track loops  (Read 102 times)

Online Globi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
DCC for totally separate track loops
« on: October 02, 2018, 08:58:45 AM »
Hi all,

I have a DCC Fleischmann DB101 loco which I bought on Ebay. I'm very happy with it, however I'm running it in DC, as I have a basic layout made of 2 unconnected loops. I'm intending to get another train running on loop number 2 at some point.

Is there any point in me getting a DCC controller? I like the idea of having the coaches lit up with lights on in the station and loco lights on when stationary.

If I do so, could I make an electrical connection between the 2 loops and control lighting on 2 trains? I decided not to connect my loops with points, as the trains are long and the layout small, so not much to be gained from switching trains between loops.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:22:43 AM by Globi »

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Re: DCC for totally seperate track loops
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »
Hi

Given that both loops are electrically separate there is no reason why one can't be DC and the other DCC, you could even go one step further and connect both DC and DCC to both tracks via DPDT switches so you can swap which track is DCC or via a switch have the option to have DCC to both tracks for if you get more DCC locos.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: DCC for totally seperate track loops
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
In theory, I can not see anything wrong with your idea, as linking the two loops with two wires would be the same as connecting the loops with points, but I do not know enough about DCC signals to say that this would work. There are far more experienced DCC people on the forum than me, so I am sure someone will be along who can give you a definitive answer. My layout is wired up for both DC and DCC via a DPDT switch as Paul-H mentions.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
Re: DCC for totally separate track loops
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 09:30:46 AM »
NEVER connect DC and DCC powered track together. The result will be expensive!

If you like the idea of always on & controllable lights then yes, have a look at DCC. Go and see the likes of DCC Supplies or Digitrains at a show and get hands on with as many systems as you can.

If you want always on lighting on DC that's on with no train movement then you need to look at battery powered lights or one of the high frequency lighting systems.

Alternatively, I think there's a system that gives you limited access to DCC functions on a DC layout but I can't remember what it is or if it's any good. Maybe someone else does....

Steven B.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:58:10 AM by Steven B »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here