!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Signal placing at a branch line station  (Read 465 times)

Offline Wolfie

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Signal placing at a branch line station
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
OK I have a scale plan of my potential layout which shows two signal posts. One before the station ( also incidentally before a level crossing) and one after the station platform but before some but not all of the sidings. Would they be home or distant signals?

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Signal placing at a branch line station
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 10:44:52 PM »
OK I have a scale plan of my potential layout which shows two signal posts. One before the station ( also incidentally before a level crossing) and one after the station platform but before some but not all of the sidings. Would they be home or distant signals?

A distant signal simply shows the aspect of the next stop signal the driver will encounter, giving time to slow and stop. The driver doesn't stop at a distant signal.
The one before the station would be a home signal (a stop signal) as it protects the station. You don't want to allow another train into the station area if the platform is occupied.  The one at the end of the platform (ish) would be a starter signal (also a stop signal), protecting the siding pointwork and also controlling entry into the next block section.

At least, that's how I understand things.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:00:16 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline EastMidsCoal

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Signal placing at a branch line station
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 11:22:40 PM »

Can you post your plan?  I presume your talking about semaphores, rather than colour light signals?

Richard

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything