!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Soldering Lesson from Atso (Steve)  (Read 358 times)

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Soldering Lesson from Atso (Steve)
« on: September 13, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
Yesterday I had the great pleasure of a visit from Steve (Atso) to our new home.

Once I had droned on extolling and demonstrating the virtues of DCC sound for a while (thanks for indulging me Steve) we settled down to the day's lesson, the dark art of soldering. Now I can solder wires and stuff like that to an OK standard, but that's about it. But Steve determined that I should initially build an N Gauge point from scratch...

Oookay I thought to myself, why not.. Anyway, it just so happens that Steve, as well as being a genius with his CAD work and model making skills is also a quite excellent tutor. He patiently talked me through each step, and my cofidence grew as he did. The result after about 2.5 hours is below.

Now you may also notice a part made etched wagon chassis.. Not only did Steve share the secrets of building points, he also taught me how to laminate etches and solder even the most tiny parts on successfully. The wagon chassis (for an LNER fish van) is still work in progress but I honestly amazed myself with what I achieved under his watchful eye.

So Steve, massive thanks for visiting, it was a really enjoyable day, and it really did encourage me to push the envelope as far as my own modelling skills are concerned. I am looking forward to getting the van finished next time!

Roy

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
Re: Soldering Lesson from Atso (Steve)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »
Hi Roy, thank you for putting up with me and being a model pupil!  :D

I haven't taught anything to anyone since I have up teaching figure skating four years ago, I forgot how great it can feel to see somebody achieve something that they didn't think possible and do a great job at it! I certainly didn't think that, only a couple of years after I finally got the knack of it, that I'd ever be teaching somebody else to solder.

I look forward to completing the lesson on the van in the near future. As you've got a temperature control soldering iron, maybe we can tackle a white metal kit as well.

Well done!  :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:35:13 PM by Atso »

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
Re: Soldering Lesson from Atso (Steve)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:56:22 PM »
Hi Roy, thank you for putting up with me and being a model pupil!  :D

I haven't taught anything to anyone since I have up teaching figure skating four years ago, I forgot how great it can feel to see somebody achieve something that they didn't think possible and do a great job at it! I certainly didn't think that, only a couple of years after I finally got the knack of it, that I'd ever be teaching somebody else to solder.

I look forward to completing the lesson on the van in the near future. As you've got a temperature control soldering iron, maybe we can tackle a white metal kit as well.

Well done!  :D

Hi Steve

A really enjoyable day, thanks again. Yes I am looking forward to completing the fish van too!

A whitemetal kit sounds like fun, I have visions of blobs of kit everywhere, but hopefully it won't quite come to that!

All the best

Roy

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything