!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Linked Events

• The International N Gauge Show (TINGS): September 14, 2019 - September 15, 2019

Author Topic: TINGS 2019, 14-15 September  (Read 11679 times)

Offline Chris Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
Re: TINGS 2019, 14-15 September
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2019, 09:28:42 AM »
Yes - I could just about hear that there were announcements being made but there was no way I could pick up on even one word that was said throughout the whole weekend.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »
Still waiting for the Class of 2019 NGF group shots?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2019, 09:49:36 AM »
I must say I didnít hear a single announcement the whole time I was there, but I wasnít trying to listen for them.

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »
I must say I didnít hear a single announcement the whole time I was there, but I wasnít trying to listen for them.

Ditto, I was there from 10am to 2.30pm, never heard one.

Apparently  some members missed the mug shots as they said there wasnít an announcement made ,I did get at least two on Saturday and Sunday but I admit that their `TANOY SYSTEM IS CRAP,  I couldnít even hear the safety announcement they make every morning before the public get in properly  .That has been the problem every year that Iíve tried to organise it I also put the time and place on the Forum and on the Facebook page ,
I canít do much more ,also of course a lot of members were operating their layouts and so couldnít leave .
Maybe NEXT YEAR someone else could TRY and organise a photo shoot of operators before or after the show .
Nice to meet up with those that did manage to make it though .
Bob Tidbury

Bob, you did fine, everyone was aware prior to the event it was 1.30pm by the NGS stand, you can do no more.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline AdrianC

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2019, 11:47:43 AM »

There were definitely a couple but they were more "mnnrmfnr nfmrmrnnrer mmmffdntr, hmnkkckmr fner", you know, 1970s BR station tannoy announcements..... :confused1:

I knew from Bob's posts it was 1.30pm, but as I mentioned upthread, the boy decided he needed food and a break and so we were otherwise engaged....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:49:43 AM by AdrianC »

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #230 on: September 16, 2019, 02:05:14 PM »

On Saturday I was there from opening until shortly after the photos. I heard half of one announcement about the photos and that was so mangled that I thought that the meeting point had been changed from near the NGS stand to beneath the restaurant area! Luckily, when I found no-one there, I decided to look near the NGS stand and ended up following Bob there.

For the future, I'll know to ignore announcements and stick to the published plan.

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2019, 03:09:17 PM »

Apparently  some members missed the mug shots as they said there wasnít an announcement made ,I did get at least two on Saturday and Sunday but I admit that their `TANOY SYSTEM IS CRAP,  I couldnít even hear the safety announcement they make every morning before the public get in properly  .That has been the problem every year that Iíve tried to organise it I also put the time and place on the Forum and on the Facebook page ,
I canít do much more ,also of course a lot of members were operating their layouts and so couldnít leave .
Maybe NEXT YEAR someone else could TRY and organise a photo shoot of operators before or after the show .
Nice to meet up with those that did manage to make it though .
Bob Tidbury

Bob, you did fine, everyone was aware prior to the event it was 1.30pm by the NGS stand, you can do no more.

I wasn't aware but I blame that on the PA system.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2019, 04:53:40 PM »
Chris , I "blame" it on the thunder storms !!  - the electical storms must have affected the PA.  Funnily in the empty hall on Friday at 08.30 it was fine but the N show has to be the nosiest show  I do and the volume of  the noise did vary - much quieter at lunchtime but 10.00 - 12.30 main hall it was loud with chatter and the odd "poop - parp" from  diesels.  Sunday was more "civilsed."       

I will talk to the boss about PA.

Robert

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
First TINGS, and this year only due to serendipity that we were able to attend. I did meet a few of the crew, @emjaybee came up and introduced himself in line before the show opened (by the way, get pre-paid tickets, the line is MUCH shorter!), we tracked down @Southerngooner on Saxon Street and Chris on Little Aller. Sunday morning seemed to be pretty quiet so the exhibitors had time to chat. We enjoyed talking to the owners/operators of the aforementioned James Street and Little Aller, as well as Two Seasons, Waterfall Junction, Marx Engels Platz, Nempnet Thrubwell and others. Ian from James Street was a veritable fount of knowledge and tips.

Very impressive array of models from Mercig. I didn't spend any money, because I can claim the 20% VAT back if I buy online and have it shipped, I still save on paying full retail at the show.

Jill enjoyed herself too, and as @emjaybee reported, she told me "you need a bigger layout" so that was some surprise!

A lot of the modeling was truly inspirational. Back to the track plan drawing board.

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: September 16, 2019, 06:10:47 PM »
she told me "you need a bigger layout" so that was some surprise!

Jet lag :D

Offline Ricky B

• N Gauge Society Number: 26895
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: September 16, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »
May I log my comments about T.I.N.G.S? - and I feel strongly about it .

I thought it was first class - really too notch. Variety and quality of layouts from the saliver-leakingly, jaw dropping affairs to my favourite sort of layout (the smaller, achievable and therefore most inspirational). Traders and the conditions at 'the front line' mosh pit when you can see the whites of traders' eyes were seemingly civilised and seemly. And now I'm, personally speaking, at the stage where N gauge locomotives are actually turning wheels in my loft, I had reason  to put my hand in my pocket on few occasions (but I'm not daft enough to judge a show in whether I could find a particular item).

I've been to four of the last five and this one, super atmosphere, superb collection and variety of layouts I just let wash over me. I entered at 10.15 on Saturday, left at 4 and could've happily soaked it in for longer. Layouts Annston (aye up Martin!), Loch Tat, Riddle to Old Town, Porquoi Pas and Bercy, Sutton St Anne's, Leigh St George, Hookhill Viaduct...oh and many more were really wonderful for many different reasons.

Lovely weather helps too. Congrats to all responsible for putting this show on from a very happy punter.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #236 on: September 16, 2019, 08:42:34 PM »

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline free debt man

• N Gauge Society Number: 5271
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: September 17, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »
I am glad to say that Mr Kato is now a fully paid up member of the N Gauge Society, following this weekend. A very nice gentleman.
Thanks to all who came to the Society stand and had such kind things to say about our efforts, on the Stand, the Journal, and Society products. And for your financial contributions to the success of the Society.
For those who are not up to date our Display Stand Manager Tim Hitch has, following a check up on Monday (yesterday), had to go into Hospital today for an operation on a detached retina and will be out of action for at least four weeks. More news on social media.
The Hunslets are coming! Yes they are...but not quite yet.
 :NGaugersRule:
Stuart Conlon
General Secretary
N Gauge Society

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: September 17, 2019, 01:16:31 PM »
Hopefully Tim will be returned to traffic ok and perhaps in a long range version !

Good to know Hunslets are making their way.  An impressive an confidence boosting model for the scale and society.

Thanks for flying flag at TINGS .

Robert         

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: September 17, 2019, 02:11:01 PM »
Whilst desperately trying to avoid the imagery associated with suggesting Tim is in for a full strip-down and overhaul ( :goggleeyes:).....

In all seriousness I wish him well.

He is a good mate and (along with @free debt man ) a stalwart of the NGS ďon the roadĒ team.

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything