!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Linked Events

• The International N Gauge Show (TINGS): September 14, 2019 - September 15, 2019

Author Topic: TINGS 2019, 14-15 September  (Read 10226 times)

Offline Graham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
Re: TINGS 2019, 14-15 September
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2019, 06:36:43 AM »
I had no idea this would happen, but I'm going back to the UK on the 12th for a bereavement/memorial on the 13th, and I think I could make a trip to TINGS early on Sunday the 15th.

i've never been - would a couple of hours be enough to at least get a flavor for the event? I can't spend the whole day, but if I get there at opening time would it make the drive from Southampton worth it? Also, if anyone else from the forum is there, is there a "Meet & Greet" spot? I'm an NGF member, do they have a stand?

So many questions ...

I went in 16, and was there for about 5 hrs, you could just spend a couple of hours if you don't spend too long looking at each layout. If I was back in the UK and only had a few hours to spare I would make the journey. you wont be disappointed.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2019, 06:42:33 AM »
I went in 16, and was there for about 5 hrs, you could just spend a couple of hours if you don't spend too long looking at each layout. If I was back in the UK and only had a few hours to spare I would make the journey. you wont be disappointed.

Thanks, Graham. It seemed crazy to go 6,000 miles and not even make the side trip for a few hours.

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2019, 07:02:53 AM »
Steve, it's about a 220-230 mile round trip from Southampton, about two hours each way.  It is worth going though if you can make it.

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2019, 07:19:01 AM »
Steve, it's about a 220-230 mile round trip from Southampton, about two hours each way.  It is worth going though if you can make it.

Andy
UK

Thanks, Andy. I think I can do that if I leave early for the journey up and arrive at opening time. I'm thinking I could be there until around 1PM and get back to Winchester no later than 3PM. Does that sound about right? That gives me three hours at the expo and no grumpy family as I'll be back in plenty of time for cocktails and dinner. As long as the A30/A34/M3 co-operates :)

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2019, 07:24:30 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking.... cross fingers about the roads!!!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2019, 07:28:53 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking.... cross fingers about the roads!!!

That's fingers double-crossed! I've been on the A34 stood standing still and found when I'd crawled 10 miles it was a guy who lost a wheel off his caravan that he hadn't taken on the road for 20 years. There's no mitigation for stupid.

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2019, 08:26:17 AM »
I find Google maps is by far the best at seeing jams and finding alternative routes. My built in Garmin based satnav is pants compared to Google. If I really want to know the best route I tend to plug my phone into the car display. I think you can do this with most cars nowadays. It worked for me when I recently had a very base model Astra on holiday.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:28:36 AM by Chris Morris »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2019, 08:28:15 AM »
Is @dannyboy going? I need a word with 'im!  ;D

Due to circumstances beyond my my control, I dare not will not be going this year. Anyway, it's not my fault if you can not resist temptation - I was tempted, why should I be the only one to suffer?  :). I will be at the National Festival in Peterborough in December, if you have forgiven me by then and will be there.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Southerngooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
I’ve just seen the floor plan and note that “James Street” is layout A, situated just inside the main entrance. We’d better make sure we put on a good show then, no pressure.....
Do feel free to come and have a chat!

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2019, 02:15:33 AM »
So, I've had a conversation with SWMBO, and decided that we'll both visit TINGS on Sunday morning, length of stay TBD. If any of you folk are around, we'd love to "put a name to the face". Jill has old friends in the Birmingham area, so it might be a late lunch with them, but I think we can swing a few quality hours at the Expo.

I've never been to one of these things before - any "survival" advice gratefully received!

I'm not spending any money though - he said, feebly.

Offline gc4946

• N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2019, 06:10:15 AM »
So, I've had a conversation with SWMBO, and decided that we'll both visit TINGS on Sunday morning, length of stay TBD. If any of you folk are around, we'd love to "put a name to the face". Jill has old friends in the Birmingham area, so it might be a late lunch with them, but I think we can swing a few quality hours at the Expo.

I've never been to one of these things before - any "survival" advice gratefully received!

I'm not spending any money though - he said, feebly.

I've attended several big shows over the years including UK's biggest, the annual Warley show at the National Exhibition Centre, near Birmingham Airport/International railway station, and even then spent no more than about two hours each per venue.
Sometimes I haven't spent money at shows except for refreshments.
Probably best to prioritise which layouts you want to see if information has been posted about them.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2019, 06:35:11 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try not to behave like a kid in a candy store :)

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »
I've attended several big shows over the years including UK's biggest, the annual Warley show at the National Exhibition Centre, near Birmingham Airport/International railway station, and even then spent no more than about two hours each per venue.
Probably best to prioritise which layouts you want to see if information has been posted about them.

Over 90 layouts and about 150 trade stands in 2 hours - that's going some! Ignoring  trade exhibitors that works out at 1.3 minutes per layout including the time it takes to walk from one layout to the next.

Offline gc4946

• N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2019, 08:02:28 AM »

Over 90 layouts and about 150 trade stands in 2 hours - that's going some! Ignoring  trade exhibitors that works out at 1.3 minutes per layout including the time it takes to walk from one layout to the next.

I last attended Warley in 2017 and concentrated on seeing the layouts, albeit briefly viewing each of them.
I prioritised matters by skipping many of the trade stands, except for buying paint from Precision Models because otherwise my modelling would have been delayed due to lack of authentic GWR buildings paint and a pack of OO limited edition collectible wagons from Warley MRC's stand. However I made a beeline for Revolution Trains and asked questions about their (then forthcoming) Pendolino.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:04:52 AM by gc4946 »
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2019, 09:56:18 AM »

Over 90 layouts and about 150 trade stands in 2 hours - that's going some!

If nothing on a layout moves in a space of 1 minute then move on - Simples :D
That'll save a lot of time.
Sadly the forum group mug shot usually occurs early afternoon and that's where to put names to faces. Maybe whoever is organising the Sunday one could make it earlier?

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

anything