!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Linked Events

• The International N Gauge Show (TINGS): September 14, 2019 - September 15, 2019

Author Topic: TINGS 2019, 14-15 September  (Read 10621 times)

Offline RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: TINGS 2019, 14-15 September
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2019, 01:52:11 PM »
My new best friend, Mr Kato, had a presence beyond corporeal...

.. in the form of product on Gaugemaster's retail stand...

Did anyone see Mr Kato there?

Yup. Spoke to him on his stand, and met up again at the ice cream van outside as we both tucked into a 99. Heís a very polite gentleman. Judging by his questions, heís trying to better understand the British N market. He seemed impressed by TINGS. He wouldnít be drawn on future plans, other than he had some. The 800 series will not have a decoder socket, and as per other Kato models, will need a special pcb fitting.

That seems an epic own goal straight off the bat if I may mix my sporting metaphors!

:hmmm: Giving this some thought, it makes very sound business sense if... Kato plan that the 800 series will utilise an existing chassis/motor/electronics with just a new tooled body. This would allow Kato to test the water of British Outline N Gauge for the minimum investment/risk. IMHO having to deal with Kato's proprietary DCC chips is a small price to pay for an otherwise top quality model of this prototype.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 01:53:14 PM by RailGooner »
ďWe are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,Ē UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. ďThe welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.Ē

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »
anthony at sutton st annes - great to see you
leigh at leigh st george - ditto

dentdale S & C just had to admire the beauty of dent viaduct  / station replicated in miniature

branksown, brooks lane, james street, loch tat, little aller all superb

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: TINGS 2019, 14-15 September - any bargains??
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2019, 05:37:09 PM »
Yes, good point, they were meant to be talking more about their 800 werenít they?
I greeted MR Kato

Konichiwa Kato san

He seemed pleased ! Also saw him around show with wife. I gather he enjoyed the visit

I picked up a SE&Cr C class and green birdcage coaches for a good  price   So was happy.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 05:39:03 PM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Tonye

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2019, 06:15:47 PM »
 :hellosign: Just got back from exhibiting at TINGS, how time for us went so quickly. Had a great time running my layout Riddle To Old Town . I thought that there did not seem to be many children at the show?, although I had 3 adults remove the cover for the non viewing area of the layout , to which one guy stated there is nothing under there except track, what did he expect, A CHEESE SANDWICH.

Tony..
Tonye

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2019, 06:21:19 PM »
Agreed there weren't many children which is a shame. It has to be said that it seemed a very relaxed and happy show. I had many nice conversations with visitors.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2019, 06:47:30 PM »
Agreed there weren't many children which is a shame. It has to be said that it seemed a very relaxed and happy show. I had many nice conversations with visitors.

One of the few regrets I have is not having a longer chat with you sir.

I was the bloke in the blue fleece enjoying the rather in sync sounds as the Western powered up the hill. Donít worry, your secret about the sound being a Hymec is safe with me....whoops  ;D

Was great to see your layout in person, itís a lovely thing to watch for a while.

Skyline2uk

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2019, 08:24:41 PM »
Will try and
Post a few i took from the farish stand here

Plus the new 31 ep

And the Revolution Team with Mr Kato after being on our feet for 8 hours!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:39:41 PM by Newportnobby, Reason: One pic rotated as requested »

Offline emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2019, 09:27:36 PM »
Well, it was my first TINGS, we are usually away about now, and i was suitably impressed.

Picked up a trio of Dapol wagons on the way in, and the nice chap at GraModels had found some Cromwell kits for me, so that was fortuitous. Bob and Ray at B.H.Enterprises helped me out with some bits and bobs along with N Brass.

I finally got to see Little Aller and spent some time chatting, it's a cracking little layout with some nice little touches like the 'Do Not Press' button. RevolutioN's products never disappoint, good to see their crew again and had an enlightening chat with Ben which has given me quite an insight into how product ideas do or don't make the cut.

Some fantastic layouts, James Street never fails to impress, and they were happy to have a chat although I didn't get to speak to Martyn unfortunately. There was some brilliant small layouts as well, just proving that size doesn't matter.

Met some fellow Forum members for Bob's photo shoot, nice to meet you Gary and Omar!

A final shout out to @LASteve , and his charming wife, who apparently, having walked round the show, thinks he needs a larger layout. How lucky can some people be! Nice to meet you both. Happy travels.

:wave:

All in all an enjoyable day.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2019, 09:34:23 PM »
mind you bob /railgooner in another thread mentioned the man with the large sack and tude,one idiot walked and barged his way in front of me at one stand, then later swung his sack straight into ray evans , BH enterprises little Granddaughter. Glad i stuck an arm to stop him catching her face - i mentioned it to andy , ray's son, obviously dad, who had a quiet word and thanked me - and had a word with the arrogant rude idiot - maybe the case for stewards
to have a quiet word - just did not need an idiot swearing in front of a child. anyway,super show, stunning layouts, roll on Tank 's show in April 2020
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:43:27 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2019, 09:38:05 PM »
mind you bob /railgooner in another thread mentioned the man with the large sack and tude,one idiot walked and barged his way in front of me at one stand, then later swung his sack straight into ray evans , BH enterprises little Granddaughter. Glad i stuck an arm to stop him catching her face - i mentioned it to andy , ray's son, obviously dad, who had a quiet word and thanked me - arrogant rude idiot - maybe the case for stewards
to have a quiet word - just did not need an idiot swearing in front of a child. anyway,super show, stunning layouts, roll on Tank 's show in April 2020

How disappointing.

I was under the impression the ratio of idiots was well down this year (I didnít meet any).

Glad you were there to prevent young one getting injured.

Skyline2uk

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2019, 09:49:14 PM »
I was very well behaved this year.  I only bought an Atlas SD60 from Anoraks Anonymous.  I could have bought tons more American locos and stock, but I managed to rein it in!

Almost missed the photo this afternoon because there was no tannoy announcement.  Thankfully more photos were taken once I got out there!

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2019, 09:53:34 PM »
I was under the impression the ratio of idiots was well down this year (I didnít meet any).

Nah, we didnít meet, I was doing my best to up the idiot quota :D

I really enjoyed it, nicely quiet today I thought, was able to wander around and get close to virtually everything without having to have sharp elbows. James Street is certainly formidable, I do quite like it I must say, despite not being my era.

Mercigís ROG 37s tempt me every year, my resolve is certainly weakening!  :worried:

Always good to catch up with the Revolution guys, sorry I missed the group photo, wasnít entirely sure where/when in the end.

Madness that the place doesnít have a better phone signal and/or WiFi for the traders. Cash is dying, that must hurt sellers Iím sure. Picked up a few bits at Dapol mainly because I felt I needed to spend some money, and it was a good price on the MJAs. Keep thinking about another rake of the Revolution HOAs, Benís reminder of the looming deadline is nagging at me!

The chap over toward the restaurant selling off his own stock had some stellar deals on really hard to find items, luckily Iíd missed his EWS TEAs and couldnít justify a full set of VTG ones!

Offline emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2019, 10:06:09 PM »
I was very well behaved this year.  I only bought an Atlas SD60 from Anoraks Anonymous.  I could have bought tons more American locos and stock, but I managed to rein it in!

Almost missed the photo this afternoon because there was no tannoy announcement.  Thankfully more photos were taken once I got out there!

Andy
UK

You made it by the skin of your teeth!

;D
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Buffin

• N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2019, 10:06:48 PM »
Saturday afternoon at TINGS and of course that was the day the mobile decided to play up, so no pictures.  :censored:

Always great to see layouts that have been in magazines. Rightly or not, I felt fewer of the layouts on show were steam this year.

And the Kato brand was much more in evidence. Retailers must be shifting the track, or they wouldn't have given it so much space on their stands. Maybe Mr Kato is seeing rising sales figures in the UK.

Best news for me: Revolution researching a class 313/314 EMU, as shown in a first class leaflet.  :claphappy:

Offline AdrianC

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2019, 10:07:48 PM »
Well I have to say I was glad I went. Better than last year overall for me (were the aisles a bit wider or was there fewer people?). I don't often stop to chat generally as I don't like interrupting but did have a chat with Anthony on Sutton St Annes very early on, an interesting one with the gentleman running one smaller layout who showed me how he'd built the layout using two trestle tables on top of one another (I think it was Cucknoe), this only started because my lad (who's 10), tried to have a sneaky look at the fiddle yard, and he invited us round to have a look! Plus a few short conversations about buildings on some others (especially Blue is the Colour). Also good to chat to Mike @red_death about the 321, judging by that sample, my money is safe  :claphappy:, although please could we have a 315 too??? pretty please??? Was very pleased to see liveried samples of the long awaited Mk2 DBSOs!

I like a lot of the layouts, Sutton St Annes, Dentdale, Loch Tat, James Street, Leigh St George, Blue is the Colour, Little Aller (my boy loved the sound effects, and I enjoyed the point where they got 4 trains running without missing each other at the junc!!), Annston, Low Yard, Sketchford. All for different reasons.

Didn't buy as much as some, 3 of the new Farish Blue & Grey Weathered ScotRail mk1s, plus some bits of @Bob Tidbury & Ray at BHE. Have to say I was impressed at how well sorted those TPM plastic inlays were, but shocked to be offered a second (bigger) crate to rummage through!! Found what I wanted though :)

Missed the photo call as I had to get the boy fed and watered. We managed to stay until 4pm by which time we were both shattered....good time though :)

:NGaugersRule:

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything