!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A trip to North East Scotland in N  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Vigo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: A trip to North East Scotland
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
I see you've nicked a Matilda 2 tank from Early WW2, that would have to be the one at Bovington painted up in the colours of MAJ. ( T / LT. COL. ) HENRY R. B. FOOTE, D.S.O. ROYAL TANK REGIMENT for actions 27TH May. 15TH. June 1942. At which he got the Victoria Cross.

(My Granddad was RSM at the Time).

Other than that...Very nice modelling.. :thumbsup:
That's nice to know, my grandfather was also in the RTR, a Major in the early 50's
The only reason there's a Matilda on there and not anything else is the Matilda was the first serious model I ever built, a Tamiya 1/35 when I was 13, about 100 years ago.

Cheers :beers:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:48:31 AM by Vigo »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 08:31:00 AM »
I've got that kit in the mountain somewhere, My GrandDad served from 1919 to 1953, by 1953 he was RSM I/C training at Barnard Castle. So if your Grandfather was in by 53 they probably met somewhere.

Having travelled in the area, I went to school in Inverness, your scenery looks right, I hope I can do as well...

Offline Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »
I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier but this is a roundy layout. There is a helix at either end to allow a continuous run and a return loop underneath with a rather low-tech integrated cassette type train loading system.
It may be low-tech and old school but it works :thumbsup:

Everyone knows that helices are problematic and Sod's First Law of Annoying Inevitability states that if something is going to go wrong it will do so in the most awkward place. Am I right? You all know I am....

So. Here is Inverduff in full Emergency Derailment Recovery Mode (EDRM). Both helices are fully accessible, it's simply a matter of lifting one hinged scenic area out of the way or removing the storage drawers and lifting the lid off the other end. The storage drawers, if anyone's interested, are an old Ikea Malm drawer unit that my daughter was getting rid of that's been butchered and molested to fit. Widthwise it was spot on but I had to lose 2 drawers, otherwise what's left of it is a perfect size for N gauge stock, it could've been made for it. Damned clever these Swedes.

On reflection, the only reason I had to lose the 2 drawers is that as you can see in the picture I had a bookshelf right above that end of the layout. It's not there now so I could have kept all the drawers and had more room for stuff... Bugger :scowl:

Whatever. Pictures:
I really must get around to tidying my garage sometime soon :-[

Incidentally, my latest fleet addition arrived yesterday so Inverduff is now bang up to date with a brand spanking new Scotrail Class 68 loco in the beautiful Saltire livery to go with my other ScotRail DMU's

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:08:44 AM by Vigo »

Offline Vigo

• Awards
Re: A trip to North East Scotland in N
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2018, 11:58:46 PM »
I've got some time off work at the moment so I've been playing about with an idea. I was looking at the Farish Highlander set but have you seen the price of those things? :o :o :o so I thought 'I bet I could do that' like you do.

There's a bit of a backstory so bear with me.  The Highlander as depicted in the set is supposed to run on the Fort William-Mallaig/Kyle of Lochalsh West Highland Line right? The one that gets all the attention and as soon as anyone mentions Scotland and railways it's all that people think of. Admittedly it is one of the finest routes in the world but what do the eastern Highlands get? Nothing apart from the occasional SRPS tour. So... how's about a what if? A dedicated tourist service around the less popular but equally attractive areas of Scotland that haven't been Harry Bloody Pottered to death like Stirling, Aviemore, the Cairngorms, Strathspey - home of the finest whisky the world has ever known, the Granite City and the ancient Kingdom of Fife amongst many other fine places. Oh and I almost forgot. Scotland's capital city, Edinburgh - home to many many Australians for some reason.

The Glasgow-Inverness-Aberdeen-Edinburgh Tourist Circular that conveniently passes through Inverduff on it's journey around God's Country.

I did consider buying a large logo Class 37 for the job but they are ridiculously priced for what they are so I decided that my trusty ScotRail 47 Walter could start working for a living instead of lounging about in a siding waiting for the next Inverness-Aberdeen express. I managed to acquire a pair of pre-stripped Farish Mk1 coaches off Ebay for a steal and along with another I already had, a lick of decent paint and some lettering I think they really look the part. I kept the West Highland colours because that was what drew me to the idea in the first place.

Anyway, enough of this waffle. Pictures. They describe the finished article much better than I can.

All in all this project has cost me 84.75, 60 quid of which was spent re-homing Walter off a mate, which I think isn't bad considering the Farish Highlander set would be a waste of over 240 quid because it's digital which I don't need.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 06:44:21 AM »
But, in the real world, there is the Belmond Royal Scotsman luxury train, hauled by class 66 locomotives in all maroon livery that makes a very similar tour and could easily be diverted slightly to call at Inverduff.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 09:51:34 AM »
This is true and very opulent it is too but who in their right mind wants to pay 5200 each (or 11000 each for the posh version) to sit on a train for 5 days?

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 12:12:28 PM »
This is true and very opulent it is too but who in their right mind wants to pay 5200 each (or 11000 each for the posh version) to sit on a train for 5 days?
I totally agree, but it does give you an excuse to run a posh train into Inverduff. :)
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 01:06:08 PM »
Never thought of that. Hmmm.......

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 01:08:38 PM »
The Glasgow-Inverness-Aberdeen-Edinburgh Tourist Circular that conveniently passes through Inverduff on it's journey around God's Country.

I did consider buying a large logo Class 37 for the job but they are ridiculously priced for what they are so I decided that my trusty ScotRail 47 Walter could start working for a living instead of lounging about in a siding waiting for the next Inverness-Aberdeen express. I managed to acquire a pair of pre-stripped Farish Mk1 coaches off Ebay for a steal and along with another I already had, a lick of decent paint and some lettering I think they really look the part. I kept the West Highland colours because that was what drew me to the idea in the first place.

Great work on the coaches, I have played about a bit with this livery too, I really like it.... my handpained ones were OK  ... I did splash out on the Highlander set  :-[  and was highly disappointed (after a long period of anticipation, which seems to be the norm with GF these days) with the coach livery ... I did just complete a wee project using vinyls

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30692.2625

The PRPS is based in and around Aucterarder, so would be love to be a port of call on the proposed new service!

Offline Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »
Love what you've done with those vinyls, they really look the business.

Regarding PRPS: I notice Auchterader is situated between Stirling and Perth so I can't see why it shouldn't be a port of call (despite it not having a station). Possibly on the premise of visiting Gleneagles to whack a white ball about and wear silly trousers for a while before travelling onward to serious whisky country.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:51:55 PM by Vigo »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 02:27:05 PM »
Excellent, Gleneagles is the station for sure, but in my semi-autobiographical layout, I refer to it as Auchterarder  :)   The railways never had permission from the Haldanes to use the name Gleneagles, so it remains a bone of contention!

You could add a visit to the Tullibardine distillery onto the itinery, it is a short hop from Auchterarder and lays claim to being one of the oldest breweries/distillleries in Scotland ... and not a bad wee dram either!

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »

Enough people to make it viable, I believe.  From what I have heard, there is a fair amount of repeat business as well.  I see the 'Royal Scotsman' now and again when I am out and about.  It's a very nice looking train.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 02:53:47 AM »
It was always an ambition of mine, when my dad was still with us, that we would both bugger off up north for a bit of 'high living' as he put it.

The plan was that we'd meet up at Waverley Station, get on the Royal Scotsman as far as Inverness then de-train and get a boat down the Caledonian Canal to Fort William. At this point everything depended on other people's plans - there was talk about having a scheduled seaplane service between Glasgow and outlying areas such as Mallaig, Tobermoray and Oban so the next phase of the journey ideally would have been the Jacobite to Mallaig followed by a seaplane ride back to Glasgow at which point we would go our separate ways, dad back to Galloway and me back to Manchester.

I worked out a conservative estimate of about 15,000 for this trip for the both of us, what with all the inherent luxury and probably vast amounts of alcohol and haggis involved and maybe 10 days to a fortnight to fully appreciate it all. A lot of money I know but my dad was worth it, he was my best mate. I seriously doubt the wife (financial controller and all round BOSS) would have approved of it but what the hell, a man can dream can't he?

Our alternative plan was do the North Coast 500 (https://www.northcoast500.com) and I even went as far as researching our ideal car to do it in but it wouldn't have worked out any cheaper. Sadly that wasn't to be either but I will still buy the car though, I owe myself (and dad) that much :thumbsup:
Hopefully by the end of this year, this will be mine but with more sensible red stitched black leather seats, not those god awful maroon ones...

No, it's not a mid life crisis, I'm too old for that and anyway I had one 15 years ago when I bought my first SLK.

Anyway. Enough of this waffle, back to railways.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:34:47 AM by Vigo, Reason: Drunken typing »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here