!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR MkIII Sleeper skin job  (Read 237 times)

Offline stuartgoble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27997
    • Awards
GWR MkIII Sleeper skin job
« on: August 29, 2018, 08:33:23 PM »
I've been following some of the older comments about the lack of GWR green MkIII sleeper rakes for the Night Riviera service.  Having thought long and hard about how to create/modify anything standard I decided to give the vinyl sheets from Adam at Electra Rail a go.  Photos below are of a Farish GNER MkIII through dismantling etc.

The next photo is the coach stripped.  This is a ball ache, to be frank, but perhaps I've not enough patience for this and need to learn some.  But reasonably happy with the outcome. 

And with the vinyl on.  This is the fiddly part and takes some time, but I'd not appreciated that the vinyls can stretch a little, so a learning point for the next eight...  :confused1: 

If anyone else has had a go at this approach, I'd welcome any hints and tips.  Adams guides are very good, but as a complete novice on this sort of thing, I was a little nervous of a major cockup.  Also, welcome any feedback.  And yes I know I need to respray the roof and underbody, but they clip off that's the next job...

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
Re: GWR MkIII Sleeper skin job
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 08:49:15 PM »
Hi Stuart

That looks really good. I do agree that the vinyl stretching can be a pain but it does get easier with practice.

With a livery like GWR, it is possible to cut the door off using a steel edge and a sharp scalpel, peel it off and replace it a mm or so back if it has wrapped too far around the end.

If it goes horribly wrong, send me a SAE and I'll pop another set off to you.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »
Don't think the equipment boxes need spraying - they're still black, but yes, you need to do the roof. A can of Halfords Satin Black is spot on!

I also find some of the mk3 vinyls a bit long, not all liveries, some are worse than others - Network Rail NMT and Caledonian Teal ones are discernibly longer than the older First Caledonian Sleeper ones, but I do agree that technique plays a part. I know the first couple I did I thought I'd be better pulling it taught as I went, definitely not! I find the best way is to remove the whole vinyl from the backing, place one end, then smooth it gently, before applying more pressure.

I've also found polishing the bodies with Meguirs Plastx polish works really well to give a nice smooth bodyside - previously I often found you'd get tiny bubbles where there were small imperfections or bits of the old livery left, even if it looked nice and clean.

Offline westie7

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20071
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:38:20 PM »
Thats resurrected my thoughts to do the Caledonian Sleepers, just a shorty 4 coach job... Once I find donors

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything