!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery  (Read 10499 times)

Online Stuarted

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2019, 09:18:05 PM »
New to the Forum and been reading through the topic. Superb is the word that comes to mind. I plan to create something based on lines in North East Wales in a 4x2 space and Mwynwr Tryciau is inspirational.

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2019, 11:34:10 PM »
That's very kind. Thank you!

I'm conscious this thread is overdue an update, so will try to tidy the ongoing things up a bit so I can take a few new snaps.

Mike

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »
Ok, well here's an update on Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, or as the miners call it, the Many Tricks mine. I'm astounded (don't know why) to see it's almost a year since the last one. No huge changes, but having taken 8 years to not fill 8 square feet, that won't surprise you.

You'll have seen above that I basically started at the edges of the layout and have worked inwards. The mine sits at the centre of the board, and that's where the action now is. You might have seen posts from me in other parts of the Forum about elements of the layout - I'll reference those in links rather than explain again.

The main change to the mine is the erection of a stone-built boundary/retaining wall, typical of Victorian institutions, including my primary school, which gave me the idea. (Most of them, come to think about it!)

Doubtless there are many proprietary products that would have suited, but TBH I'm in this hobby to make stuff, not to go shopping. A tangled wooden Venetian blind lay beyond use in a corner of my garage (you know, could be useful one day, spares etc....) and a couple of its slats (strong, flexible, right profile, right width and a useful length) were pressed into service.

To get the very tight curve at one end of the site, I bent a slat as far as it would go, then Duck Taped the ends and let it soak in a sink overnight. The next day it bent further, was soaked again and the third day it was ready.
There are a couple of right-angle corners, which were mitre-cut and joined with Gorilla Glue. A couple of end-end joints were glued and reinforced with some overlapping buttresses.

I covered the assembled wall with Metcalfe stone paper, ran a Sharpie along the top to simulate moulded iron-slag coping stones, then stained with Games Workshop Earth Brown wash. The completed wall was Gorilla'd to the MDF base board, a trench being cut into any existing relief that lay in its way.

Well, a wall isn't the most interesting thing to look at, so here are a few broader views across the layout which all feature the wall somewhere or other.

The stabling point gets very busy first thing as the Many Tricks area stud lines up for coaling. Heaven knows where they'll get watered though. It's on the list....

From left to right, there's Peckett B2 1455, Peckett B2 1426, Peckett B3 1861, RSH 7544 "Bonnie Prince Charlie" , Fowler 2F 47167 and George England WTF No.5 "Shannon".

The walled area beyond the canal will become the spoil heap. I've taken the vegetation down to water level. [Masked the water surface, glued the banks and used a pipette to puff Peco green scatter onto the glue]. There's some (barbeque) ash dumped next to the coaling stage.

First movement of the day as 1455 draws wagons under the screens for loading:

The access road to the pit needs developing and some wooden gates installing.

The boundary wall runs straight along the edge of the mine site, then loops around the blacksmith's workshop/stable and back to the loco coaling point. A second retaining wall runs under the screens and turns to end at the main gate.

The grass against the wall is Javis JSTRIP6. Although I mostly use a puffer bottle with loose static grass, these are useful when you need a well developed area in one go. To ensure the tallest, upright blades hug the wall, cut the strip up the middle (no need to cut precisely straight) and place the cut edge along the wall.

It's 6mm grass, which doesn't always suit, but I read on here somewhere that beard-trimmers work on this stuff, and they do, so if you want some stubble instead, go mow the meadow!

It's pretty quiet, as usual, in the goods yard:

No horses being currently available, the Ancorton cart has been craned into an elderly wagon for transfer to the nearby Lessys Mor mine. A 14 ton tank of lubricating oil sits ready to dispense. A short rake of coal awaits transfer to a processing plant, which because of challenging gradients will require an NCB brake van or two.

Oh yes, the wall. You can see how tightly it curves around the back of the smithy.

Ok, well that's about all the news from the Many Tricks mine today - watch this space, hopefully I'll report back sooner than this time next year!

Mike

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:01:47 AM by maridunian »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »
What a wonderful layout. Well done.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2019, 11:19:18 AM »
What a wonderful layout. Well done.

Thank you - I do feel it's finally coming together. I'm in no rush though - I don't want to actually finish it, naturally!

Mike

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
Excellent work, Mike. Many thanks for the update. Great attention to scenic detail. The water effect is very realistic.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2019, 12:56:29 PM »
Thank you for those great pictures.
It’s my kind of scenery and my type of modelling.
Keep up the good work.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2019, 01:00:48 PM »
Excellent work, Mike. Many thanks for the update. Great attention to scenic detail. The water effect is very realistic.

Thanks Chris. A great deal is written about realistic water, but for a manky canal, a dozen coats of mahogany varnish on a Weetabix box cardboard base seems to work OK!

Mike

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »
Thank you for those great pictures.
It’s my kind of scenery and my type of modelling.
Keep up the good work.

Thank you. A list of outstanding tasks is hinted at above, but there are also several more buildings needed at the mine, then people and animals to add.

I daydream about automating a loop of elastic cable around one sheave wheel, down into the pit head, around a pulley, back up to the other wheel, down to the winding house, around a motor pulley then back up to the wheel it started at. That might well take for ever!!

Mike
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:01:15 PM by maridunian »

Offline chorleysteve

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2019, 01:43:02 PM »
 :greatpicturessign:

very atmospheric (and inspirational)

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »
:greatpicturessign:

very atmospheric (and inspirational)

Thank you! I'm sure I wrote previously that my aim is to build many little scenes, which would be natural on a large layout. The challenge I set myself is doing that in 4'x2' without it looking unrealistically 'stuffed'. I knew that I would never get around to building the number of realistic scenes a bigger layout would demand.

Mike

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2019, 07:21:31 AM »
Great stuff Mike,  :thankyousign:   :thumbsup:

Online Stuarted

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2019, 08:59:22 PM »
You have definitely achieved what you set out to achieve in terms of your layout not looking overcrowded or “stuffed”. And yet there is a lot there - two circuits of track, a mine, canal basin, goods yard and exchange sidings. It is indeed inspirational.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2019, 10:26:48 PM »
Thank you. Our hobby has been transformed over the past ~20 years or so, with all sorts of products becoming available, but I worry that this has priced many people out of joining in. It's also biased modelling towards things that are cheap to manufacture - eg modern-image mainline. Railway modelling doesn't have to be about spending power - problem solving and improvisation can be cheap and satisfying at the same time.

Mike

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
I fully agree with all the above comments. Truly inspirational work.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations