!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 2417 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2019, 08:21:37 AM »
Looks good Chris.
And a bonus.......a rail line to Constantine. Id be taking the train there too often  :D
Not everyone knows but Constantine, for a small village in the middle of nowhere has one of the finest whisky stores in the country. If you get the chance, and if you are interested in malt whisky, pop into the village shop and walk through to the back room. You will be amazed.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2019, 08:26:21 AM »
Looks good Chris.
And a bonus.......a rail line to Constantine. Id be taking the train there too often  :D
Not everyone knows but Constantine, for a small village in the middle of nowhere has one of the finest whisky stores in the country. If you get the chance, and if you are interested in malt whisky, pop into the village shop and walk through to the back room. You will be amazed.

You seem to have adopted the role of 'Good News Fairy' Martin. First, your help with Biomass, now Cornish Whiskey. I was thinking about the possibility of a Whiskey distillery appearing at Constantine as another source of freight traffic. You have now added even greater impetus to this idea. In fact I'd never even known there was such a thing as Cornish Whiskey until I read about it in one of your posts.

Thanks once again!  :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2019, 09:12:56 AM »
As a slight aside it's interesting the Cornish spell 'whiskey' as the Irish do.
Chris, a bit more about the elixir of life..................
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=cornish+whisky&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2019, 09:24:33 AM »
As a slight aside it's interesting the Cornish spell 'whiskey' as the Irish do.
Chris, a bit more about the elixir of life..................
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=cornish+whisky&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
There are, in fact, no hard and fast rules about the spelling. Actually, whiskey wasnt  as far as Im aware ever distilled (legally) in Cornwall until recently when two companies started production on a relatively small scale. Hence, my own new layout with its distillery is purely fictional.
I think Healeys (who produce Cornish Whiskey today) took the conscious decision to spell it with an e to distinguish it from Scottish malts.
Other whisk(e)y producing nations have a mixture of the two spellings.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »
 :hellosign:
  Hope this may be useful

regards Derek.  :beers:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2019, 04:39:02 AM »
Having virtually driven alcohol from my life, this may all be a terrible temptation.  :goggleeyes:

I do intend, however, that when I next visit Cornwall, I will stick my pack on my back and visit all of these places in person. A brace of good pics will help enormously. A visit to Constantine sounds like a great way to spend some time and, if I take Martin's (PP) advice and wander into the back room of the village store...................
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2019, 05:01:52 AM »
Some may remember my mentioning a test that was going to be conducted in the USA on a former ATSF 4-6-4 Hudson to run it on Biofuel/coal:

https://www.renewableenergymagazine.com/biofuels/steam-engines-making-a-comeback-to-curb

Well, I read that this plan stalled due to legal wrangles over ownership of the loco. However, the organization concerned have since successfully trialed their ideas out on 15 inch gauge locos at the Minnesota Zoo:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjh293u0c_lAhVGQhUIHcGAAJQQMwiAASguMC4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbiomassmagazine.com%2Farticles%2F14837%2Fbiofuel-tests-in-milwaukee-zoo-locomotives-a-success&psig=AOvVaw1b-Apy1dQw0OC0AtN_-4XT&ust=1572925399664463&ictx=3&uact=3

Also, successful tests have have carried out on the Launceston Railway:

http://www.tavistock-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=181&headline=Biologs%20fuel%20the%20train%20on%20uphill%20run&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2010

Just thought I'd share as this all adds credibility to my scheme. One interesting point I notice is that Biocoal can simply be substituted for normal fossil coal without any modification to the locomotive. This is good news indeed! 

:bounce:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:13:19 AM by chrispearce »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2019, 07:23:15 PM »
Life has been a bit full recently. What with buying a new car and a washer/dryer, visiting family in London and things, I haven't had much time to make a lot of layout progress since my last post. However, some ingenious accounting has allowed me to acquire a couple of treats.

May I introduce.....

A Union Pacific Doodlebug. Please note the appropriate Guardian in the background - the Spirit of St. Louis!

A USRA Light Mountain 4-8-2. Unlettered so I will choose something at a later date. My Mikado and Prairie need the same treatment.

Neither are great pics, I apologise, but my usual stock photo booth is covered in track and tools from the layout-build. I hope to get back to that when I have some time free.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2019, 07:25:41 PM »
Just noticed the Mountain's rear pony-truck wheel is derailed. The loco is on my living room floor and was hard to get on the track. The layout will be 3 feet above the floor so that shouldn't be a problem in the future! I hope.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »
These are great additions, Chris.

The US bug is biting you hard!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2019, 08:06:32 PM »
These are great additions, Chris.

The US bug is biting you hard!

Best wishes.

John

Thanks John. I always liked the rugged, purposeful look of US stock. The same for German/Austrian locos. Hence the collection. UK stock is more elegant and graceful by comparison until we get to the post WW2 BR standards which adopted many of the characteristics of - wait for it - US and German designs.

The 2 locos cost 100.00 for both. Devious bidding did the trick!  :D

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here