!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)  (Read 12279 times)

Online jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
with the size of your layout I am sure you will be tempted to rush it, but as @crewearpley40 said, take your time, I know I rushed in my early attempts and regretted it.
cheers
Graham

You know, 10 years ago I would have been tempted. But now, and as it is so large, rushing it would still take months. So I'm going to take my time, and when I get bored there's plenty more to be doing. Finishing the line through Wallgate, making station platforms, fixing non runners, doing general scenery, and working out where and how to fit in more storage sidings.

Thanks everyone,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2020, 09:17:36 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
    Thanks for the latest updates John, nice steady progress
        regards Derek

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2020, 10:38:13 PM »
Hiya, what a super layout with loads of potential. There’s some great lessons shared too, thank-you.

Regarding ballasting there’s lots of good guides and I include what I learned here...

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20056.30

Pages 3-4 cover the subject - there’s plenty around ballasting points but the best tip I ever came across was to add a drop of plastic oil on the sides of the bit of plastic that joins the end of the switch rails (far end  from frog). This stops it jamming.

The only major tip I have is painting the rails first, it makes keeping them distinct from the ballast painting pretty easy with an airbrush.

On a less practical note I have to save some of the jobs I love (track laying, electronics) and switch into those I don’t (scenery) to keep variety on a long project.

Good luck!

PT

Good luck

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here