!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]  (Read 7770 times)

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2019, 10:10:17 PM »
James, try B H Enterprises item BHE110 on page 15 of the product catalogue.. no picture but may be what you are looking for.

http://www.bhenterprises.co.uk/home.html

Cheers
Mark

Offline jamespetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2019, 11:11:08 PM »
James, try B H Enterprises item BHE110 on page 15 of the product catalogue.. no picture but may be what you are looking for.

http://www.bhenterprises.co.uk/home.html

Cheers
Mark

Thank you for your thoughts - I have contacted BH Enterprises am in the process of ordering either these or the cast equivalents (BH420/BH513).

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2019, 11:26:53 PM »
Ratio used to do some nice high intensity headlights in yellow plastic. Don't think they are current production but you might be able to get some in an 'odds' bin. IMHO a much better job than the BHE etched version. Don't know about the BHE cast ones.

Just found these on the 'bay' https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/249-Ratio-Plastic-Model-N-Gauge-2mm-Scale-Diesel-Locomotive-Headlamps-New/174003507724?hash=item28836ad20c:g:lZAAAOSwxktdXAwf

cheers Norman
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:33:02 PM by tunneroner61, Reason: xref to ebay listing »

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: November 14, 2019, 12:27:30 AM »
I have been busy working on the electrics of late, as well as integration with TrainController. I am adding sections and turnouts to TrainController as I go rather than adding all the wiring before adding anything to TrainController to make sure that everything works using my chosen methods before proceeding to use those methods throughout the layout.

I have been significantly delayed by problems with RailCom (there seems to be an odd problem where newer Zimo decoders will not report their address when the locomotive is facing in one direction with one particular command station/booster combination but will work without difficulties with another), with a booster turning itself off apparently at random and with it not being clear whether (and if so how) I can use a certain type of input signalling for positional feedback for turnouts in TrainController.

However, I have made a start, including having produced the track diagram in TrainController for all the track laid so far (I am still waiting for the fiNetrax concrete sleeper turnouts to work on the scenic section), and have added features to control this for the parts that are wired in so far, including two turnouts and quite a number of sections, some with RailCom and some without.

I have also added and tested, and added a control to TrainController, a new type of uncoupler for the Dapol EasiFit couplings using powerful permanent magnets mounted under the baseboard moved closer to or further from the baseboard using a servo motor. I have successfully integrated this with TrainController using a "push button".

The intention is to have two switchboards: one for the fiddle yard, also containing such miscellaneous controls as necessary, and one for the scenic section, although it may be necessary to have a third just for miscellaneous controls if the interface makes me add lots of switches/contacts on a panel to be able to achieve certain functionality.

One thing I have been working on this evening is route proving. TrainController has a feature in which it will not permit a route to be locked through a turnout unless a hardware indicator is set in a particular way. Using microswitches connected to the servo for the points, it is possible to use this (as is intended) for route proving. I have also set it up so that, if the route does not set as expected, a message pops up informing me that there has been a points failure, and an alert sound plays that is based on the IECC error sound (thanks to the SimSig download page for this).

This is a delightfully sophisticated feature, although I fear that I will have to use it in a way which requires two I/O ports per servo, which means that the I/O ports built into the servo card are not sufficient and I will need to use extra I/O cards: my attempts at using a ternary system with a disconnected, +5v and ground state, although working in hardware, do not seem to be recognised by TrainController. Nevertheless, my injection moulded passengers should be reassured by the fact that, whilst more expensive and laborious, this system is at least (marginally) safer than a system requiring only one input.

I am very much looking forward to being able to use more of the sophisticated features of TrainController as work on the layout progresses, but I have still not finished the fiddle yard dropper wires yet, so that may have to wait some more time.

Finally, here is a photograph of a Class 50 renamed "Centurion" as 50040 carried in 1989 ready to run on the layout:

Dapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 12:31:03 AM by jamespetts »

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2019, 09:52:17 PM »
I have had some trouble with the electronics of late, which I believe that I have mostly resolved, but which have somewhat delayed progress.

However, this evening I have been able to add a very important feature to my layout: emergency stop. See this video for a demonstration.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here