!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]  (Read 7802 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2019, 09:28:20 AM »
The Dapol dummy knuckles (not the Easi-shunts) don't have springs or anything, but it means you can't couple stock by just pushing them together as you can with other options. I've got a load of magnets to experiment with, seems to have potential, particularly if you can get something less bulky than many of the commercial options.

Offline jamespetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2019, 10:18:07 AM »
There is no issue with the Dapol NEMCoup type couplings: the reason that I am interested in magnetic couplings is to allow inter-vehicle electrical connexions to improve reliability of running.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: July 09, 2019, 10:30:22 AM »
So im experimenting. Nick what you using on freight? Ive got tacky wax  even on the china clay bullets

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: July 09, 2019, 02:15:28 PM »
It literally varies by rake, usually driven by my apathy! I tended to fit dummy knuckles to rakes that were prone to uncoupling; TTAs, JNAs, silver bullets. Others still have rapidos, some coaching rakes have 3D printed bars, generally with a normal coupler every 4 coaches, or they get a bit unwieldy.

Thatís rather OT for Jamesís thread though; I agree with the appeal of electrical continuity, Iíve through wired a couple of EMUs, but itís a bit drastic, a coupler would be a nicer way of doing it!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »
Thanks. An emu coupler thats more realistic than wire and does not foul or uncouple. Theres a thought

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2019, 10:23:11 PM »
I have been concentrating on the electrics lately. This is taking some time as I need to spend some time working out requirements and carefully testing things one by one: I have been finding that I need things that I had not anticipated and then having to order them and wait for them to arrive, which has caused delays.

However, I have managed to get some circuit cards assembled and installed under the layout. I realised that I did not have the right size of wire for droppers or various other sorts of cabling, so I have had to order some more, which I will have to await before making more progress. However, here are some pictures of the progress so far:

Under layout wiring (held in with black tack) by James Petts, on Flickr

The plan is to test a small section of the layout to check that all the basic electrics work before wiring in the remaining parts.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2019, 10:38:11 PM »
Very neat installation.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2019, 11:53:17 PM »
Very neat installation.  :thumbsup:

It may be less neat once I have put all the other necessary wires in.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2019, 01:11:26 AM »
While awaiting some more types of wire, I have been working on a class 47, modifying a Graham Farish Network SouthEast class 47/4 47581 "Great Eastern" into 47583 "County of Hertfordshire" in its early/mid 1989 condition as shown here:

47583 Cardiff Central, 6th May 1989 by Steve Thomas, on Flickr

47583 'County of Hertfordshire', Paddington by nigelmenzies, on Flickr

IMG_20141029_0001 by grahamcarnson, on Flickr

(In late 1989, the locomotive was repainted into revised Network SouthEast livery as shown here:

47583, Paddington, December 16th 1989. by Matt Taylor, on Flickr

but this layout is set in the late spring/early summer of 1989, so this locomotive is correct for the period).

I used Railtec transfers (a complete locomotive pack for this locomotive to avoid having to align individual numerals, and also containing the coat of arms as well as the nameplate as a single 3d transfer), and also took the opportunity of removing the white lines around the wheels and chemically blackening them (although the latter process was not as successful as I was hoping: my nickel silver blackening liquid seems to have gone off a little or been contaminated as it was very slow to blacken the wheels and it was filled with lots of little black flecks).

I also fitted a DCC decoder and stay-alive at the same time, although I ran out of capacitors (and also damaged one in the fitting process), so I will have to buy some more and fit these. As with all Farish class 47s, I also bent the phosphor bronze pickups so as to touch the centre wheel to give a more reliable pickup, as well as rewiring the lights at one end to be independent so that the lights can be set not to illuminate when the locomotive is pulling a train.

This locomotive is not quite finished yet, as I still need to apply a coat of matt varnish to protect the transfers and de-gloss the areas left shiny by the Brasso used to remove the factory printed detail, as well as increasing the number of capacitors and programming the decoder to automate the front/rear lights with direction now that I have decoupled the lights at one end.

I have also not fitted the detailing pack (and I am not sure how much of it that I can fit given that I need working couplings at both ends), and notice that the aerial at one end has gone missing (can anyone recommend a way of producing a suitable replacement? Some suitably thin brass wire chemically blackened should suffice; but what is the correct thickness, does anyone know?)

In any event, here are the pictures.

47583 County of Hertfordshire by James Petts, on Flickr

I have to say, I am most impressed with the Railtec transfers, as usual. The attention to detail is quite the thing: the TOPS data panel with the unusual lack of box around it and the black markings on the white stripe below the number I did not notice myself until I checked photographs to work out why these items had been included on the transfer sheet. These transfers also behave very well indeed.

One small matter: I notice that the lamp irons on the real locomotive are red, but I am not sure whether it is worth going to the trouble of painting these on this model.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:17:18 AM by jamespetts »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2019, 02:11:19 AM »
seriously looking good = in real life have been on trains hauled by both locos. aerials - have you tried shawplan, bh enterprises ?

https://www.ultima-models.co.uk

keep up the good work james

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »
I had a look at those websites, but nothing obvious was available.

However, the simple solution seems to be to use my Vernier callipers to check the thickness of the wire and just obtain some brass wire in the appropriate size and either paint or chemically blacken it to the correct colour.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »
James it was just a thought. Maybe nbrasslocos.co.uk. Would music strings work if have such a shop? Or a good diy shop?

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2019, 04:26:22 PM »
I suspect that I should try the simple Vernier callipers and brass wire method first: I should have thought of that in the first instance.

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2019, 04:31:13 PM »
"I have to say, I am most impressed with the Railtec transfers, as usual."

Steve is great.
some years ago I decided [ok a moment of weakness at 04:00 on a night shift] to produce a series of class 25's for Inverknockie named for distilleries.

spoke to Steve, with list of loco numbers and names, and a couple of days later, and a few npounds poorer, the transfers arrived.

superb service, superb product, oh and a great guy.

nothing seems too much trouble for him  :thumbsup:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2019, 06:02:13 PM »
Hi James,

Re...47583
In the days before such aerials were provided on models, I used bristles from an old toothbrush suitably coloured with Sharpie or equivalent, then place into the hole with a tiny dab of PVA. The advantage of toothbrush bristles is that they are flexible and can withstand a little rough handling..

Regards,
Stu in LEBL.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:57:12 AM by StufromEGDL »
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here