!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]  (Read 7238 times)

Offline jamespetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kittens and cake
    • Awards
Re: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2019, 09:19:10 PM »
Hi Alan,

Re...47583
In the days before such aerials were provided on models, I used bristles from an old toothbrush suitably coloured with Sharpie or equivalent, then place into the hole with a tiny dab of PVA. The advantage of toothbrush bristles is that they are flexible and can withstand a little rough handling..

Regards,
Stu in LEBL.

Interesting. I do have a toothbrush in my modelling shed for cleaning PCBs. Perhaps I will have a go at plucking a bristle to see whether this works.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2019, 01:39:20 AM »
For the class 47 issue discussed above, I used my Vernier calipers to measure the Farish brass wire, and it is ~0.33mm, so I have ordered some wire of this cross-section and will chemically blacken it before applying it to replace the missing aerial.

I have been making slow but steady progress with the wiring.

Under baseboard electronic progress by James Petts, on Flickr

There is still much to do. I am test wiring all the different sorts of components that I will need for the layout fully in one corner first before progressing to the other parts of the layout to make sure that my plans are all in order. I have managed to wire in a few track sections for power and train detection, as well as one servo turnout motor with positional indication as well as frog polarity switching and get this all to communicate to TrainController running on a Windows VM inside Linux. I have even managed to get a MERG District Cut-Out to work and sound an alarm in TrainController with an alert indicating in which section that the short circuit has been detected.

I have also been length testing the fiddle yards:

Fiddle yard length testing by James Petts, on Flickr

I can just about get two trains of six carriages each plus class 47 locomotive in one fiddle yard road. This is interesting, as rakes of 5-6 mark 2 carriages were not uncommon at this time on Paddington to Bristol services and some Paddington to Wolverhampton/Birmingham services:

47620 Reading by Tony Walmsley, on Flickr

GWML Loco Hauled 2 by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

(See also un-embeddable images here, here, here, here and here).

If I am to make use of this facility, I will need to add isolating joints in the middle of at least some of my fiddle yard roads to allow the computer to sense the trains entering these blocks properly. Given the method of working that I intend to employ (i.e. locomotives being changed automatically in the fiddle yard and the trains running out with a locomotive at the other end to that in which they came in), the only way of working this will be as follows:

(1) the first train enters the empty fiddle yard siding, moves to the very end, and its locomotive detaches and goes to a locomotive siding;
(2) the second train enters the fiddle yard siding and its locomotive couples to the rear of the carriages already in the siding, pushing them to the end of the siding and locating itself over the uncoulping magnet for it to uncouple from the carriages that it hauled in;
(3) another locomotive attaches to the rear of the second train;
(4) the second train is hauled out in the opposite direction to that in which it arrived; and
(5) the first train with the locomotive attached to its rear from the second train is hauled out of the fiddle yard road in the opposite direction to that in which the trains arrived.

The advantage of this is that it will enable me to have more mk. 2 rakes than would otherwise be possible, which is likely to be a good thing in light of the number and variety of Inter-City locomotive hauled trains that existed on the Western Region at the time.

I have also managed to get hold of some working timetables, which arrived to-day. The nearest in time that I have is the 1989/1990 timetable rather than the 1989 summer timetable which best matches my chosen period, but it should nonetheless give a good insight into ECS, parcels, mail and light engine workings, although this particular WTT does not have freight movements. I have already discovered that there were a large number of ECS Paddington to Oxford moves early in the morning before some of the early trains, for example, which may well alter my chosen method of operation and even possibly some aspects of the layout design (possibly reducing the number of sidings, for example, as fewer rakes will need to be accommodated overnight).

Finally, some Class 50s arrived to-day. I have written on the topic more extensively in the Class 50 thread, but these are so characteristic of the time and place in which this layout is set that I shall include my favourite of the pictures here, too; this is a Class 50 in Network SouthEast livery hauling a Network SouthEast rake of mk. 1 carriages of the sort that one could easily have found on a Paddington to Oxford, Banbury or Newbury train in 1989:

Dapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

Here is the real life version:

50037 Sonning by Carl Looker, on Flickr

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2019, 01:53:50 AM »
thanks for the photos james

seriously looking good fiddleyard !!! and clear shots of the 47s / 50s

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2019, 02:19:48 AM »
This is a very technically ambitious project which you seem to have well under control.

I'm following along with a historical as well as technical interest too - your modelling period coincides with a trip I had to make to the UK when my parents died suddenly. The trip involved several trips from the NE to London, and I was drinking in the NSE atmosphere during journeys.

It provided relief during what was a stressful trip.

This is going to be a great layout.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: October 05, 2019, 05:54:29 PM »
Having taken delivery of some lovely VEA wagons:

N gauge VEA wagon by James Petts, on Flickr

N gauge VEA/VBA rake by James Petts, on Flickr

I have been re-arranging some of the rolling stock into sets, and I thought that it would be worthwhile to take the opportunity to photograph some of the sets.

Here is the Bicester MOD set:

N gauge RFD by James Petts, on Flickr

N gauge RFD by James Petts, on Flickr

(the latter of which is something similar to this photograph in real life). I have also ordered a single HEA coal wagon to go with these, as they sometimes ran with these in reality.

I have also been organising my parcels sets into fixed rakes and coupling fitting them:

N gauge TPO by James Petts, on Flickr

N gauge TPO by James Petts, on Flickr

N gauge short parcels train by James Petts, on Flickr

(Not pictured are a further two short parcels sets that are not TPOs).

Here are some pictures of Network Express trains taken at the Model Railway Club recently:

Dapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

Farish Class 47 and carriages by James Petts, on Flickr

Farish class 47 by James Petts, on Flickr

The latter locomotive, 47701, I intend to convert to a 47/4 (as Farish seem never to have produced a rail blue 47/4, 47/3 or 47/0 with the high intensity light) by removing the front jumper cables and swapping the fuel tanks/battery boxes with an Intercity Mainline liveried class 47, which will then become a class 47/8.

However, I have spotted an anomaly with this locomotive: the surround for the high intensity headlight appears to be missing: it is just a transparent fibre optic bulge sticking through the cab front. My other 47/7s in Network SouthEast livery do not seem to have this anomaly; but all other photographs online, including apparently official photographs, do show this locomotive with this feature. Does anyone know where I might find a model of a surround to go with this? Has anyone dealt with this before? It is rather odd.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: October 05, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
looking very realistic rakes james

the parcels sets into fixed rake behind 47522 what vehicle is that please as blurred

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »
Just a Farish BG isnít it?

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2019, 07:20:37 PM »
the TPO immediately before the red parcels van

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
Thank you. The TPO rake comprises a pair of BGs, a blue and grey TPO, four red TPOs, and (not visibledue to curvature) another blue and grey BG.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2019, 07:29:43 PM »
thank you james. superb attention to detail

thank you for showing us the shots !!!!!

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
Hi There,

There is no surround to the High Intensity light on 47701 as it is meant to represent the early batch of headlights, sourced from car headlights. Proper High intensity lights with the yellow surrounds came later.

Hope this helps,
Later,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »
Hi There,

There is no surround to the High Intensity light on 47701 as it is meant to represent the early batch of headlights, sourced from car headlights. Proper High intensity lights with the yellow surrounds came later.

Hope this helps,
Later,
Stu from EGDL.

Interesting - thank you. Good to know that this is not a defect in the model. I will still need to modify mine, as I need to convert this model to represent a later type.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »
here are photos of 47701

http://www.brushtype4fund.co.uk/47701/47701index.htm

rmweb has a shot earliest 47588 back in 1983

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2019, 09:06:47 PM »
Thank you for the link - what I meant was that I intend to convert this to represent a different locomotive entirely with the later type of high intensity headlight, not to represent 47701 with the later headlight.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »
ok now i get it. hope someone can help james

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP