!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Birdcage stock  (Read 4707 times)

Offline CarriageShed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
Re: Farish Birdcage stock
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2019, 07:41:53 PM »
Sorry for the confusion then  :-[

No confusion at all - it was a fair guess to make. It was just luck that I had the information to hand to know that it's more likely to be buffer lock, but you never can tell in this game :)

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2019, 07:25:46 PM »
id love 2 sets of the birdcages, one set in crimson and one set in the green. however im gonna wait a while for them to drop in price, which they will. They might  be harder to get but they will be available at the right places for the right price.

I myself just could not justify paying the price of a loco for 3 coaches. i appreciated why they are that price, but for me its too much.

Im already grinding my teeth on the prospect of upgrading my WCRC pullmans at 40 a pop...
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2019, 11:24:57 AM »
id love 2 sets of the birdcages, one set in crimson and one set in the green. however im gonna wait a while for them to drop in price, which they will. They might  be harder to get but they will be available at the right places for the right price.

I myself just could not justify paying the price of a loco for 3 coaches. i appreciated why they are that price, but for me its too much.

While I completely understand your situation, you've hit the nail on the head when you highlight that 3 coaches is the price of a loco - having had quotes for tooling and producing coaches recently I think that what you are seeing is a reflection that tooling different coaches isn't significantly cheaper than tooling a loco. The quality of UK models of coaches has increased dramatically in the last 5 years or so, if anything I'd argue that 50/coach is more likely to be representative of the cost of tooling, production and margins for the manufacturer and retailer.

As an aside they'll only drop in price if thy don't sell out or get close to selling out. At that some point someone is taking a hit (either Farish or the retailer).

Cheers Mike

Offline JayM481

• N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2019, 03:37:55 AM »
Before I make an error I'll regret, I have to ask if anyone has opened these up? I like to put little people in my coaches (that's what they're for, after all), and maybe add lighting, but before I make a hash of it myself, I hope there's someone out there who's opened one up and can advise.

Offline JanW

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
It is not very easy to open them. The underframe is clipped to the body but it's a very firm fit. Pull the body and the underframe apart and try to work your fingernail in the gap to prise them apart. Do NOT use something hard like a screwdriver because you'll damage the body and/or underframe.
Clearances are very tight and it was not easy to do.
But when you succeed it looks like this:

You can see the clips on the underframe (6) and the corresponding recesses in the glazing strip.

I damaged the footboard a bit when opening (with my fingernails) but it's not too bad:

Jan

Offline JayM481

• N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2019, 02:02:14 AM »
Brilliant. Thank you Jan, the photos do just the trick. I have some plastic wedges that will work perfectly now that I know exactly where to find the clips.

Jay

Offline JanW

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2019, 11:38:22 AM »
That's wonderful. Your answer reminded me of the mobile phone repair kit I have with plastic wedges and shims that will be great for opening coaches too. Thanks!

Jan

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »
If anyone is looking for cheap birdcage stock then Ian Allan in Birmingham is closing down and has 50% off. Not much Farish left but still quite a few birdcage sets.

Offline nobby

• N Gauge Society Number: 21612
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2019, 09:15:58 AM »
thanks for the heads up RED DEATH nipped up there on Tuesday from Kent to get a brown set, the clearance price was so good i ended up getting the last three sets amongst other things, possible renumbering job in the future me thinks    cheers

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »
Lucky so and so!  :thumbsup: ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2019, 09:26:16 AM »
If anyone is looking for cheap birdcage stock then Ian Allan in Birmingham is closing down and has 50% off. Not much Farish left but still quite a few birdcage sets.

I wondered why the Waterloo shop looked overstocked the other day, they must be cross shipping stock.  Lets hope it survives as its the last source of N Gauge in Central London.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here