!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Moving Vehicles- Clifton and Lowther  (Read 554 times)

Offline CCGWR

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Moving Vehicles- Clifton and Lowther
« on: July 08, 2018, 06:51:02 AM »
Hi All,

I am sure this layout and topic has been posted about before but I would be interested if any of you would know further details about it.
Clifton and Lowther: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okc4Rn7dGqg
A layout (which I saw was mentioned in another topic) has a moving car system similar to what I want to implement on my layout, although I can't identify what system was used on Clifton and Lowther. The system used seems to be the Faller car system which is a fantastic system but needs adapting for British vehicles.

While researching I came across a system called Magnorail. This systems looks good as unlike Faller there are no batteries and any vehicle can be used on it. It seems similarly priced to the Faller system, although possibly harder to install. Has anybody had experience with it? 

Regards Connor

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
Re: Moving Vehicles- Clifton and Lowther
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:00:56 AM »
Magnorail is used for the cyclist on the Grime Street Tramway layout
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/172-the-grime-street-blog/

The most obvious disadvantage is that it can not cross baseboard joins as Faller Car System can and the Tomix system can.

Any vehicle can be used, but it may still need some adaptation - most notably unless it is a short and very light vehicle a steerable front axle may be needed for reliable and more realistic operation.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 08:13:50 AM »
I do not have direct experience of Magnorail but one or two members of the "Faller Car System UK" Facebook group have used it, moving quite a number of 1/76 metal cars. There are some of their videos on the FB Group. I am a Moderator there. It seems that the system is ideal for N, as a single motor can cope with maybe 10 or so vehicles. Problems are likely to be selecting a thin enough road surface over the belt for the magnet sliders under the vehicles to maintain attraction, without the surface wearing too quickly or losing its coating if painted. All of the vehicles will move at the same speed but spacing between them is very variable according to whether you want a group of three with the boy racer close up behind the white van waiting impatiently to pass the tractor, or a more spaced out set up.

My experience of the Faller system is that it works reliably. Rechargeable batteries are heavy with a long life but can be replaced with Li-po types for lighter weight. there is a reed switch in the electrical circuit, an on/off switch and a charging socket. The mechanics are simple just a motor with a worm driving a straight cut gear on the back axle. It can be adapted to British vehicles. the main issue is that the steering occupies a space which limits the position of mudguards etc found on older vehicles. You could scratch build your own chassis, and probably just rely on the steering being original Faller, because it works so well.

The modified modern buses I run use the Tomytec Moving Bus System chassis. These do not adapt easily to commercial vehicles, although Bob at N Train has a Mercedes box van he sells which uses a Tomytec chassis.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline CCGWR

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I realise the Faller system is very good and you make a good point Mike about the road surface, Magnorail recommend Board Paper. Surely the Magnorail system would be able to cross baseboards if they were level and the board was routed to match?

Regards Connor

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
Surely the Magnorail system would be able to cross baseboards if they were level and the board was routed to match?

Regards Connor

I think the problem would be you cannot split the chain drive at a baseboard joint, so it is not really demountable for transporting a multi-board exhibition layout I can think of ways of doing it by having a removable piece of road surface but some force is needed to separate the chain links so not a simple engineering job to make it reliable.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:40:34 AM by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »
I have seen 'Clifton & Lowther' 2 or 3 times at local shows and the one chap who will know/can find out what you need to know is fellow member @les nehrlich
Hopefully he'll reply when he sees the tag.

Offline les nehrlich

• N Gauge Society Number: 3857
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »
Clifton & Lowther uses the Faller road system. The motor is in the vehicle powered by a battery also in the vehicle.
The front wheels of the vehicle move like a normal car. Attached to the front wheels is a magnetic skid which follows a wire set into the road.

therefor the skid follows the buried wire and the motor drives the back wheels of the vehicle along the road.

MODEL ROADS & TRAMWAYS can supply the Faller system

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything