!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 32452 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1020 on: August 17, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »
Wow Leon. Brilliant pics. It all looks superb. Keep up the excellent work! :thumbsup: :claphappy:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1021 on: August 17, 2019, 07:06:35 PM »
There will be a halt platform in the bottom left corner. I'm simulating the line to Salisbury so there's nowhere for the track to go. If I wanted the layout to be totally fictional, I suppose a small station there could be the end of a branch line. A track leading to nowhere is just one thing unusual about my layout, probably. I don't see a lot of difference between track stopping at the edge of the layout and a circular track which just leads back to where it began. That train running down from London will never be reversed on my layout. :D

Eventually, I'll have some protection all around the layout, but I didn't see the need to do that now. Actually, the accident happened because I had multiple locomotives powered from the same controller when I was moving things around for the photoshoot. It's not something I need to be concerned about, again.

Thanks for the observations, and, Martin, your suggestion would certainly work but a tunnel portal would replace my halt. I have to stop the autocoach and reverse, so a stop at the halt seemed appropriate and will add something different - given there are already three tunnel portals on the layout. A clump of trees between the halt and the edge of the layout will improve the visual impression. If you recall, I originally had Trowbrdge Station at the top of the layout but ran out of room. My methodology has been "trial and error". I've improved some aspects of the original plan but to change other features of the layout would have been more difficult if not impossible. I've not been inclined to EVER start over. What you've seen is basically what it will be, but there are lots of buildings to add, bridges to build, roads to pave, platforms and fields to populate, shrubs and trees to plant, and a pond to fill. Enough to keep me engaged for the rest of my life! I am enjoying the experience, so there is fulfillment in the endeavor.

Thanks to all for the encouragement!

Leon
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:40:08 PM by Leon »
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1022 on: August 18, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
  Thanks Leon, your making excellent progress & all looking good
   regards Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1023 on: August 19, 2019, 07:52:08 AM »
:hellosign::greatpicturessign:
  Thanks Leon, your making excellent progress & all looking good
   regards Derek.

Yes, totally agree.  :thumbsup:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1024 on: August 19, 2019, 07:59:03 AM »
Leon, you have made far more progress in one year than I have in three years.  :thumbsup:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1025 on: August 19, 2019, 08:37:04 AM »
Many thanks for these excellent photographs, Leon.

Your layout is certainly coming to life - great progress!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1026 on: August 31, 2019, 07:11:04 PM »
I tip my hat to Metcalfe Models. I've completed my station kit, thanks to their excellent instructions. The instructions weren't perfect and my modelling leaves a lot to be desired, but it's good enough for me! Next will be the two-rail engine shed. I'm not as intimidated, now, so will make a start on that one soon. My only concern with the engine shed is the space where I have to place it. I did measure when laying the tracks but remain a little concerned. I didn't glue the tracks so there's a little room for error, however.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1027 on: August 31, 2019, 07:57:20 PM »
I have always liked Metcalfe kits and once you really get into them Leon, you can do a bit of 'kit bashing'.  ;)
As an aside, what glue do you use? I like Rocket Card Glue, which I find is good for a lot of things, not just card kits.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1028 on: August 31, 2019, 09:11:49 PM »
David, I use Elmer's PVA for everything but plastic. I've two or three different glues for my plastic kits.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1029 on: September 10, 2019, 08:53:25 PM »

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1030 on: September 13, 2019, 09:45:10 PM »
My station area buildings will soon be completed (platforms will require awnings and some more small buildings). I'm currently completing the Metcalfe Goods Station which will be followed by a couple of signal boxes. I've some track adjustments to make which may require the purchase of some Peco Code 80 track from the U.K. This will be for running into the engine shed and coaling station (Kato track won't fit the opening). When the track is in place I'll take some photographs, but don't expect any telephoto shots!  :D The kit building meets my needs and I'm gaining confidence with the construction of each building. It's still slow going, though!

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1031 on: September 17, 2019, 03:31:07 AM »
All sounds marvellous Leon. Look forward to seeing pics when they become available. Out of pure nosey interest, what was the solution to the platform canopy conundrum?
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1032 on: September 17, 2019, 05:16:01 PM »
Out of pure nosey interest, what was the solution to the platform canopy conundrum?

Chris, thanks for your post and your "nosey interest"! My layout is probably too simple (and perhaps progressing too slowly) for many, so "nosey interest" is welcome and appreciated!

I found a source for the platform canopy that would probably satisfy my need and come close to the prototype at Westbury - however, I just discovered yesterday that Scalescenes has recently released a new kit even closer to the Westbury prototype - https://scalescenes.com/product/r004a-island-platform-building/. Their kits are downloadable for printing, which will be a new challenge for me but I think that's the way I'll go. Westbury, from early days, has had fairly extensive red brick buildings on both of their platforms. The photographs of the Scalescene model look really good and I'll shift to that project soon. I'm presently completing my tunnel under the road in the lower right quadrant of my layout which will require moving the tracks to the goods station a little. When that task and the rail re-alignment for the engine shed and coaling station (tracks on order from Hatton's) is complete, I'll build my signal boxes and the remainder of the road bridges across the station yard. The layout is beginning to show a little character! Follow this link for a track layout including the recent alterations - https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Z3fdna7KiTihzfb6 .

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1033 on: September 19, 2019, 06:13:32 PM »
Chris is always looking for photos, so I've paused to capture my lastest completed kit - the goods shed. It's far from perfect but will be placed in the space to the left of the picture. Behind that spot is a tunnel entrance (work in progress) that will connect the road on the steep incline with a girder bridge across the station main lines. Other completed kits can be seen (out of focus) in the background - station, engine shed, and coaling station. Enough construction "flaws" can be seen without close-ups (telephoto), so don't ask!!!  :D

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1034 on: September 19, 2019, 06:22:05 PM »
I think it's as good as mine :thumbsup:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com