!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 54237 times)

weave and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1245 on: August 01, 2020, 08:45:24 AM »
Yes, most definitely a good move. My layout is solidly bolted to the garage walls, and I have to go under!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1246 on: August 01, 2020, 05:32:52 PM »
I didn't think about that either, thirty years ago.

George, I thought about it, but didn't really have an alternative. Complicating my situation are the two desks supporting the layout. On either end of the the layout I have about 2 feet that isn't easily accessible. I have to slide the layout one way or the other if I need to examine feeder wiring. I did think to place loose poster boards between the desks and the baseboard, however. This permits relatively smooth sliding of the layout. I've moved it a few times, already, without any significant movement of rolling stock on the rails.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1247 on: August 01, 2020, 05:41:06 PM »
Laurence, I remember your provision for working under the layout and was most envious with what you were able to do. Even at your "young" age long periods of work "below ground" wouldn't be much fun. Here I should confess that my biggest problem working under the layout is more cognitive than physical. Sorting out the many wires and connections is stretching my mental faculties and that adds to the physical fatigue!  :D I'll be decending again later today with the hope that it might be the last time - for a while.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1248 on: August 01, 2020, 08:10:57 PM »
Interesting you switching to the Terminal Unijoiners... my one & only came apart where it matters....

Derek, my first Terminal Unijoiner was a dud, also. I had to use them in places where I couldn't fit the 62mm track feeder. I'm about to add two or three more feeders. Two will be 62mm track joiners and the third (if needed) will be the Terminal Unijoiner - again, it's in a space smaller than 62mm. I'll maybe post some pictures to illustrate the "before and after" tracks where the isolators had to be moved and feeders inserted.

Leon

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1249 on: August 01, 2020, 08:18:08 PM »

Weave, your input is invited and very welcome. Most issues I can solve for myself, if given enough time, but time is a valuable commodity. Not more valuable than that of fellow Forum members, but if the issue is obvious (or even if it just seems obvious) it might not cost the contributor much time to share and could save me a ton of my time - and much frustration. I've always appreciated your interest and I'm encouraged that it continues.

Leon

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1250 on: August 01, 2020, 10:03:10 PM »
I'm posting below a photo of my double crossover (beneath my main road running from the bottom to the top of my layout). The black isolators are clearly visible in the top three tracks and there is a fourth set of isolators on the bottom track. All will be moved and power feeders will be dropped between the isolators and the crossover; also between the isolator and the left turnout at the top. If this doesn't work, I'll have to call in an electrical contractor! :worried: As of this moment, all but one section of track is powered. That's another challenge for another day. I'm completely confident now that I'll not have to do anymore track construction.

Leon

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1251 on: August 01, 2020, 11:46:24 PM »
 :hellosign:  :sorrysign:
  Hope all is sorted soon Leon, I'm sure one of the electrical experts will be along shortly, sorry but at the moment I have no Isolators.
    stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1252 on: August 02, 2020, 02:21:49 AM »
I've just had a quick browse of my NGS E-journal. I like it!

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1253 on: August 02, 2020, 07:53:56 AM »
I'm afraid that I know nothing about Kato track.  It all seems a bit strange to me.  So I'm afraid that I can be of no help whatsoever.  Sorry! :dunce:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1254 on: August 02, 2020, 09:10:04 PM »
Are sixteen (16) power feeders overkill? Probably, but I don't seem to have an alternative. I'm posting another track plan showing track isolators and power feeders. Before viewing that, however, you may want to know a little about my objectives and a little about the KATO track system. My objective is to use station tracks for holding trains while I'm running other locomotives on tracks sharing the same controller. That is accomplished by isolating those sections through the station (UP and DOWN). Those sections are wired through switches that turn the power on and off. KATO power points are either 62mm lengths of wired track or powered unijoiners which connect two sections of track. The wire (cable) from each power point can share a succession of 3-way connectors with the last connector wired to the appropriate terminal. The plan below shows all the connections for three terminals (controllers) - RED, YELLOW, and BLUE/GRAY. Presently, I have fourteen (14) feeders. I'll be re-siting several isolators and adding two feeders to insure there is power between all points and isolators. If I'm not missing something, everything should then work to plan. If anybody sees a problem with the logic of my planning, please speak up or forever hold your peace!  :D If you see a power point that seems unnecessary, logic aside, please comment.

Leon, with thanks for viewing!

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1255 on: August 02, 2020, 09:48:07 PM »
I have followed all your connectors and isolating points @Leon, (at least until I started getting a headache  ;)), and I think it all looks okay and should, as you say, "work to plan". At least if some part does not work, you know where the power is, or should be, coming from.  Just as an aside, do you have each 3 way connector marked and a note as to which sections of track it is feeding? If you give each section of track a 'marker', (number/letter), along with which feeder is feeding that section .............. Just a thought.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1256 on: August 03, 2020, 12:59:08 AM »
I have followed all your connectors and isolating points @Leon, (at least until I started getting a headache  ;)), and I think it all looks okay and should, as you say, "work to plan".

David, I always hope that I've thought of everything, but two or three other sets of eyes to confirm everything is where it should be makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for taking a look, and given your experience using KATO your opinion is especially helpful. The electrical consideration, though, i.e isolators and points, will be the same for every brand of track. I'm awaiting an order for feeder track and unijoiners so there is time for others to offer an opinion or confirmation before I start work again.

Leon

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1257 on: August 03, 2020, 08:37:09 AM »
Leon

For a layout of this size and complexity, I certainly don't think 16 power feeds are overkill.

Unfortunately my screen isn't big enough to do justice to your diagram and I'm struggling to see the location of your isolating Unijoiners.

Like David, I think what you have looks good.  There are only two matters I should like to raise.

1.  I would suggest another feed in the inner (yellow) circuit at the top right curve as that section of track lies between the switches of one point and the scissors crossover.

2.  I think I can see isolating Unijoiners between the blue/grey and yellow power sections.  Have you put these on both rails?

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1258 on: August 03, 2020, 10:15:47 AM »
Following the comments made by John, ( :thumbsup:), I tried to follow the power routing and he could well have a valid point regarding the top right yellow section. It certainly will not hurt to add a feed in that section.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1259 on: August 03, 2020, 07:42:04 PM »
1.  I would suggest another feed in the inner (yellow) circuit at the top right curve as that section of track lies between the switches of one point and the scissors crossover.
2.  I think I can see isolating Unijoiners between the blue/grey and yellow power sections.  Have you put these on both rails?

Thanks, John! My diagram can be enlarged by clicking the image and moved by holding down the left mouse button and dragging. The section of yellow track that you've referred to is the double track representing Westbury to Bath. This is the section that I referred to when I said "As of this moment, all but one section of track is powered. That's another challenge for another day. I'm completely confident now that I'll not have to do anymore track construction". That section  DOES have feeders but the feeder for the UP rail is above the Single Crossover in the top left. I can run a locomotive on the DOWN line, but not the UP line. I've attributed that (as the only solution I can think of) to the Single Crossover being faulty (one of my glueing failures). One of the feeders I"m adding will provide power on the lower end of that rail section but if the feeder above the crossover is faulty your suggestion may solve my remaining electrical problem. Consider it done! Incidentally, these rails are necessary to complete the Junction alightment and to justify running my Southern train (though that train will be primarily on static display as there is no place to turn). The Single Crossover the simulation of the return of my railcars (2) from or Chippenham.

There are isolators between ALL sections of blue/gray rails (service yards) and yellow rails (UP avoiding line and station access).

I've discovered that the Power Direction Switch doesn't perform the way it did in my mind! So, I may remove it from Terminal 2.  I should have been able to get my head around that issue much earlier - but didn't. My Terminal 1 Controller is not KATO otherwise (I think) I could change the polarity of the RED track and continue using Terminal 1 to control the train into the station - provided no other trains were on live rail (i.e. behind isolators). All I have to do, though, is remember which tracks are live and remember to switch from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 after the locomotive crosses the Double Crossover. Sounds simple enough to me, but I'm easily confused!

Leon

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal