!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 46915 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1065 on: November 27, 2019, 09:37:01 PM »
I'd like to give another "shout out" to Metcalfe! I've just completed my 7th kit. I'm repeating myself, probably, but kit construction was the project I most dreaded. Thanks to Metcalfe I'm managing to construct buildings that look pretty good (for my layout). I've made a lot of mistakes, but have found the kits to be quite forgiving. Most mistakes were discovered and corrected immediately, but a couple of them were only fixed after the glue had set. I'm not modelling to the standard of some, but probably as good as many.

Completed so far are the Platforms, Station, Engine Shed, Coaling Station, Tunnel/Road Bridge, Goods Station, Tapered Retaining Walls, and Platform Subways. My next project will be the Railway Bridge PN146 and Signal Box Set PN133. When those are completed, I'll be able to finish off my road from the bottom of the layout to the rails at the top. I had not planned a level crossing, but it appears that will be my best solution for crossing the Wiltsbury/Biss River (Westbury/Trowbridge) line near the top. I'll have some questions about how to do that, as there is a curve in the track at the point where the road needs to cross.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1066 on: November 28, 2019, 06:03:11 AM »
I have just looked at your most recent plan a few pages back and I can't see the offending road on the curve. I'm guessing the Biss line is the upper of the 2 'branches' in yellow? There are ways of making Level Crossings on curves - Mizzy Gizzy (see RHAETIA thread) has the ingenious plan to use a cut mouse mat - but I'm not sure how you would like this idea.

Is it at all possible to slew the road onto the nearest straight piece of track?
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1067 on: December 01, 2019, 07:17:29 PM »
I have just looked at your most recent plan a few pages back and I can't see the offending road on the curve. I'm guessing the Biss line is the upper of the 2 'branches' in yellow? There are ways of making Level Crossings on curves - Mizzy Gizzy (see RHAETIA thread) has the ingenious plan to use a cut mouse mat - but I'm not sure how you would like this idea.

Is it at all possible to slew the road onto the nearest straight piece of track?

Chris, ignore the line of the road at the top of the layout. I'm having to reroute the road as a result of the choices I've made for the rail crossings in the station area. It appears to me, now, that I'll have to cross the (Biss River) Trowbridge line at the point of a small rail curve (required to connect the Kato set track). The crossing will need to be at the point of the gap in the rail (actually an adjustable track section). I'm not sure what a mouse mat is! The route of the road can't readily be changed without making another major alteration. Already, I'm having to some significant changes to the existing terrain - all the work I want to do for this part of the layout. I'm improvising to connect three structures over the rails - the tunnel, a girder bridge, and the Metcalfe Tapered Retaining Wall at the top. Also, I'm having to lift the rail at the bottom (avoiding line) to accommodate the Metcalfe Railway Bridge.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1068 on: December 01, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »
Leon. Iíve done a few level crossings on curves, notably on Tregonning. I use plasticard cut on a bend and Peco crossing gates.
If necessary, Iíll dig  out a photo for you.

Martin
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:54:50 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1069 on: December 01, 2019, 07:52:15 PM »
Leon. Iíve done a few level crossings on curves, notably on Tregonning. I use plasticard cut on a bend and Peco crossing gates.
If necessary, Iíll dog out a photo for you.

Martin

That's what I did on Poppingham; although I used bass wood rather than 'Plastikard'.  I'm sure it could look better but the trains run over it as if it wasn't there, which is the main thing.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1070 on: December 01, 2019, 08:13:49 PM »
After my last post, I decided to take a couple of photos showing the track that needs to be crossed, the bridges that will be joined to take the road to the level crossing, and the road beyond the crossing leading into the hills. I'll be joining all of this with my Rail Bridge at the bottom of the layout. I'm still not happy with the decline to the Rail Bridge, but it is what it is!

Leon
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:26:24 PM by Leon, Reason: Clarification »

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1071 on: December 01, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
Posting the photographs has given me another idea! (Is there no end to alterations?) If I started the Tapered Retaining wall with the middle section, I think I might be able to maintain the proper height above the rails and give myself a little more room at the top. With so many different components that have to be matched up at the proper height it's problematical anyway I approach it. I'll know soon, though, for I'm almost at the point of disassembling/altering the layout along the road route. We'll see what happens!

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1072 on: December 02, 2019, 09:38:26 PM »
If necessary, Iíll dig  out a photo for you.
Martin

Martin, if you run across the photo and remember me, I'd like to see it. It will be a while before I do the level crossing, however, so please don't go to any trouble on my account.

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1073 on: December 02, 2019, 09:48:34 PM »
Here we go Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1074 on: December 03, 2019, 06:49:29 PM »
Thanks, Martin! That looks good to me! In my case, there is a slight curve in the rail but also a curve in the road either side of the level crossing. You've shown that it's a reasonable (and, presumably normal) situation. Mine will look a little like this - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kirknewton,+UK/@55.8884694,-3.4349706,163m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4887c35555a48ef3:0xf249774c8efc3921!8m2!3d55.886883!4d-3.425237 with a little curve in the rail which might actually look better than a straight.

While I'm at it, I'm needing to replace a section of track to cross the road at the bottom of my layout at a slightly higher level. I know from the work I've done with Kato that I'll need flexible track for the replacement. I have a section (1 metre?) of Peco Streamline (SL-300F) Code 55. Can I use that to join my Kato Code 80? I'm not anxious to start, but I'm at the point where I need to begin connecting the series of bridges and tapered retaining walls.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1075 on: December 05, 2019, 10:00:40 PM »
I've always known I would face a big challenge when my bridges were assembled and ready to line up across the rails. It's a greater nightmare than I expected but I'll work through it. In the meantime, I'm sharing some photos to illustrate what I'm facing.

The first photo is taken from the front of the layout showing the entrance to the rail bridge (still under construction) and the incline to the bridge/tunnel crossing the goods line. At the top can be seen the tapered retaining walls carrying the road from the girder bridge - which is not in place.

The second image is from the top of the layout looking down to the railyard. The road incline is very steep so the level of the rail bridge looks about the right height judging by the horse box, however, a third image viewing the entrance to the rail bridge from the front of the layout reveals it is much higher than needed (note the clearance).

It seems clear to me that I will have to lower the rail bridge somewhat and raise the incline of the rails above. There still is the incline of the road to the goods lines crossing, but I'm afraid that will not be improved much - if any.

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1076 on: December 06, 2019, 06:34:57 AM »
I think I need a bit of clarity Leon. Or maybe itís just that Iím up a bit earl today and brain isnít fully functional yet?
Anyway, in the top photograph, why are there two bridges crossing the two tracks? The right hand one (the brown and fawn one) doesnít appear to go anywhere?
So....to your problem. Is the left hand bridge (too photo) too high as there seems an awful lot of clearance above the tank engine?
That would make the grass bank leading down to the stone bridge (2nd photo) un-necessarily steep.
Is that the problem or am I mis-understanding things?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1077 on: December 06, 2019, 06:36:42 AM »
I wouldn't worry abut the bridge being too high on one side.  There are some very high railway bridges in the Chippenham area, which is not a million miles away from Westbury.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #1078 on: December 06, 2019, 06:47:13 AM »
Anyway, in the top photograph, why are there two bridges crossing the two tracks? The right hand one (the brown and fawn one) doesnít appear to go anywhere?

Is that not the girder bridge ready to be fitted between the brick abutments?

So....to your problem. Is the left hand bridge (too photo) too high as there seems an awful lot of clearance above the tank engine?
That would make the grass bank leading down to the stone bridge (2nd photo) un-necessarily steep.
Is that the problem or am I mis-understanding things?

I think he was more concerned about the height of the road underbridge compared to the horsebox, but I think the road overbridge looks too high. Certainly the grass banking looks excessively, and unnaturally, steep, especially on the right-hand side. Maybe it'd be worth adding a retaining wall and making the remaining bank above it less steep.

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #1079 on: December 06, 2019, 06:57:25 AM »
If necessary, Iíll dog out a photo for you.

That's what I did on Poppingham; although I used bass wood rather than 'Plastikard'.  I'm sure it could look better but the trains run over it as if it wasn't there, which is the main thing.

I had a really tricky one to do on Woodland, not just on a curve but also a straight because it crosses a poiint   :worried:

Having failed in my first attempts to make it out of plasticard - principally getting a good fit where the boards butt up against the outside of the closure rails and around the wing & check rails.

Eventually I gave up and, because it doesn't go anywhere near the moving parts of the point, slapped a load of filler over it. After leaving it a few days to thoroughly harden, I then cut the flangeways, sanded it all down to be slightly shy of the rail heads, trimmed the ends as required and painted it.
I'm happy with the result.

Broughton's should be easier - hopefully I'll get it fitted in on a straight bit of track  ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:58:47 AM by chrism »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal