!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 32506 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1005 on: August 05, 2019, 09:39:46 PM »
That list should keep you going for a week or two Leon  ;).

Two weeks on and I'm down to tidying up my craft table for a serious crack at modelling some buildings.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1006 on: August 09, 2019, 05:08:50 PM »
I may be about to join Newportnobby (Mick) as another person confounded by layout electrics! Before I cite my problem, I'll refer you to my track plan.

I've wired my layout to enable the theoretical operation of three controllers, consecutively. Today, I discovered that Controller 1 is feeding electricity to both Up and Down mainline (avoiding) tracks. When I started my Castle locomotive on the Down track my Dukedog ran also, on the Up track - both in the correct (opposite) directions. Controller ! has just two feeders - on opposite sides of the layout with the only connection between Up and Down tracks being a double crossover (insulated) in the tunnel.

Now, the only feasible explanation is that I've switched one of the feeder wires to Controller 1 - a Down line feeder has been switched with an Up line feeder. I've not checked this, yet. Frankly, I had started this post before that possibility even entered my consciousness! So, if that's the case I'll not join Newportnobby - yet! I'll post the result of my inspection later but wanted to go ahead and admit that I overlooked a potentially simple solution. If the solution is not so simple, I'll have to call on somebody other than Newportnobby for help!  :D

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1007 on: August 09, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
That's why I prefer DCC.  All my locos are fired up all the time, but only the addressed loco will follow the instructions sent.  So, if I select Loco3 and set it to run, only Loco 3 runs.  But, while it is running, I can select another and tell that to run (at a different speed and in a different direction, if need be).
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1008 on: August 09, 2019, 09:47:55 PM »
Ok, so I'm pretty stupid or utterly careless. My feeder connector #1 (Down) and feeder connector #2 (Up) were plugged into the same Unitrack 3-Way Extension Cord! I unplugged connector #2 and things seem to be working. I can now run the Up train on one controller and the Down train on another controller. When connector #2 was plugged in, even when it was receiving no current,  both Up and Down trains ran regardless of the controller being used. So, Newportnobby, I join you in finding layout electrics to be beyond my total comprehension! I cannot understand how #2 could affect anything when it was not being powered. It was plugged into a Unitrack 3-Way Extension Cord with #1, however. Apparently, when running the Up train, power was somehow being transferred via the disconnected 3-Way Extension Cord to the Down train. (Power was going from the connector being tested via the rails to the 3-Way Extension, resulting in both polarities being powered by one controller.) I can just get my head around that, but I don't think there can any other answer! Alls well that ends well - until the next time! I've now got a lot of re-wiring to do - but that can wait.

Thanks to anyone who bothered to address this conundrum (though I suspect anyone using the Kato track system probably immediately recognized the problem).

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1009 on: August 16, 2019, 08:53:09 PM »
Today was photography day! The light wasn't good, so I had to rely on my flash. The result wasn't good as I only shoot in auto and today the camera was hand-held. I'll try to use the tripod next time and maybe the lighting will be better. Although I'm in the basement I have two small windows which in the past have provided sufficient light to photograph without a flash.

The following link will take you to an album I created at Google Photos with all of the photos from today's shoot. https://photos.app.goo.gl/kkZD7ft1AExELdvq6

With a little luck, there will be a photograph showing the "state of the layout" as of today, below. The train on the right side of the layout is the London-Weymouth passenger on the Down avoiding line.  At the bottom is an Up avoiding line goods train returning "empties" to northern stations. At the top of the layout, there is a passenger train waiting for clearance to enter the station. (It's on the same rails as the approaching northbound goods train, having crossed over from the Down line in the tunnel. After leaving the station it will again enter the tunnel and cross back to the Down line.) There are four trains waiting at the platforms - from bottom to top are  1) an LMS with coaches and guards van waiting for passengers to return from a local football match, 2) an autocoach departing for Salisbury, 3) an SR passenger headed for Bristol, and 4) a motorcoach bound for Chippenham. At the top of the layout, another motorcoach is returning from Chippenham. There is a tank about to begin shutting mineral wagons in the top siding and another (LMS) shunter attached to goods wagons in the lower right corner.

I'm aware of some errors and inconsistencies but will be grateful for all comments and suggestions. I've a long way to go, but I'm not in a big hurry to get there. I've much to learn before I can complete the journey.

Leon

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 09:06:04 PM by Leon »

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1010 on: August 16, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »
@Leon Not sure if I am doing it wrong, but I can only see the one photo' in Google. However, that one photo' does look good.  You have done a lot more work than I thought you had.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1011 on: August 16, 2019, 09:07:06 PM »
Sorry, David. I've posted a new link which should work for you - it did for me.

Leon

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #1012 on: August 16, 2019, 09:10:19 PM »
@Leon  The new link works fine. Quite impressive.  :thumbsup:  Will have to see about doing something similar for 'Averingcliffe'.
David.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1013 on: August 16, 2019, 09:20:57 PM »
Plenty of pics to see, Leon, and what I see is very good indeed. Keep up the good work.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #1014 on: August 16, 2019, 09:25:00 PM »
Hi Leon,

Like dannyboy, just saw the one pic and thought blimey, that's more than I thought he'd done and then got the new link. Loads to take in and lots of room for trains to stretch their their legs.

I'm not great with track plans as my little brain can't imagine the reality but that looks great. Really great.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1015 on: August 16, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »
Hello Leon

That all looks good. Youíve made fair progress.
Westbury is starting to come alive.
Keepup the good work.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #1016 on: August 16, 2019, 09:47:22 PM »
@Leon  Following your inspiration, I have created a Google Photos album for 'Averingcliffe'   :thankyousign:
David.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1017 on: August 17, 2019, 02:10:28 AM »
I debated with myself whether to 'fess up to another blunder! I backed my autocoach off the end of the layout resulting in one of the bogies breaking off. I was able to stick it back on for a photograph of the autocoach and locomotive on the tracks but will need to a more permanent solution. Can I purchase a replacement bogie? If so, any suggestion as to the best source? On the subject of bogies, I'm having difficulty with a lot of my locomotives and coaches traversing the tighter curves, however, there is just one curve where I had anticipated that problem and the autocoach has been managing it, at slow speed, until it ran off the layout! I added an isolator to prevent a locomotive disaster, but didn't allow for backing a coach "over the cliff".

Leon

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #1018 on: August 17, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »
If you have track leading off the edge of the baseboard you absolutely need something to protect against exactly that, even a piece of board over the end or something. Itís very unusual to have track that just leads off the edge of the board at all.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1019 on: August 17, 2019, 08:25:59 AM »
Yes, definitely need something there.
If itís in a scenic position, Iíd suggest a tunnel mouth with a piece of black card firmly affixed to the back to stop anything dropping off the edge.
Itís so easy to turn the controller knob the wrong way accidentally causing the type of accident which you suffered.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here