!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills update  (Read 5061 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills update
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 08:03:47 AM »
Oh dear.

I think I can just about justify one. I'll just stretch my timeframe a little bit more.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 09:25:30 AM »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that if asked nicely and in time, undecorated locos can be supplied.

Is this photo any help, Mick?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_02_2013/post-7179-0-26294400-1361447459.jpg

Ugh! :sick2:
Sorry, Dave, but to me that looks pretty awful. I guess I'll wait to see what liveries Colin will be doing and may have to settle for an early crest

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »
Oh no! This is awful news! I generally have no interest in GWR traction, but City of Truro is the one exception. Somehow I need to justify having it on an East Anglian layout. Help me out, chaps...

Cheers,

Chris

RCTS specials if you model the late fifties?

That'll do for me!  :D

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 08:14:58 PM »
I'll buy COT as a rule1 purchase.

If I was Colin I would double my normal production run for this one.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 12:41:48 PM »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that if asked nicely and in time, undecorated locos can be supplied.

Is this photo any help, Mick?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_02_2013/post-7179-0-26294400-1361447459.jpg

Ugh! :sick2:
Sorry, Dave, but to me that looks pretty awful. I guess I'll wait to see what liveries Colin will be doing and may have to settle for an early crest

How about this then?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/GWR_3440_City_of_Truro_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1479746.jpg shows the livery nicely, looks like the darker pre 1928 green. Railmatch RM600 or Precision Paints.
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »

It can't actually ever run like this as it was withdrawn from traffic in 1931, 17 years before BR. So the only livery that's correct is GWR I'd assume.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces. Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline javlinfaw7

• N Gauge Society Number: 23283
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »
Did CoT ever carry late crest and, if so, would UM produce such a thing?

Further down the Wikipedea article it states "During its restoration in 1984, the locomotive was the subject of a 'spoof' by Steam Railway magazine. The engine was being restored on the Severn Valley Railway, and workshops foreman Alun Rees suggested to editor David Wilcock to repaint the driver's side of the locomotive in BR lined black as 3717. This took place, and several pictures of the engine as 3717 were taken on shed at Bridgnorth and in the Bridgnorth yard. It was almost discovered by John Coiley when he visited the railway that year, but Rees had the engine parked with its driver's side along the workshop's wall so it couldn't be seen. The images were released in 1985 with the note that 'proposals for a double chimney and high sided tender were narrowly defeated...' This subsequently upset many GWR enthusiasts; however, the engine never ran in this livery both in service or in preservation"
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:52:53 PM by javlinfaw7 »

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 02:53:57 PM »

It can't actually ever run like this as it was withdrawn from traffic in 1931, 17 years before BR. So the only livery that's correct is GWR I'd assume.

Cheers,
Alan

Quote from Wikipedia.

In 1957 City of Truro was returned to service by British Railways Western Region. The locomotive was based at Didcot, and was used both for hauling special excursion trains and for normal revenue services, usually on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line, and was renumbered back to 3440, and repainted into the ornate livery it carried at the time of its speed record in 1904.

What it is hauling in that photo? Crimson Cream obviously, but Collett coaches maybe?

Yes, Collett coaches I think. The first two look like 1930s mainline stock, the same family that Hornby has recently released in 00. The last vehicle looks like a sunshine brake.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »

Cheers,
Alan

I was basing my comments on this quote from Wikipedia, Alan. @Dr Al

In 1957 City of Truro was returned to service by British Railways Western Region. The locomotive was based at Didcot, and was used both for hauling special excursion trains and for normal revenue services, usually on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line, and was renumbered back to 3440, and repainted into the ornate livery it carried at the time of its speed record in 1904. She was withdrawn for a second time in 1961

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 04:07:47 PM »
Here she is in 1957, nobby:

http://steamworldmag.co.uk/index.php/gallery/image-009-1/

cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces. Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »
Now that's the one I could go for even though it looks like a GWR crest on the tender. Thanks, Alan.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 05:11:06 PM »

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »
ROY LS
HE has done other regions so now us G W R fans can get some reasonably priced locos that are GUARANTEED to run straight out of the box and pull whatever  load you want ,plus I know they will,out last me ,without the worry of  circuit boards or wiring catching fire .
Ok not all singing all dancing with all the bells and whistles but as the late COLIN  MASSINGHAM SAID ABOUT MTK ,I GIVE YOU THE BASICS AND THEN ITS UP TO YOU.
I’m at a show this weekend ,D E M U at BURTON on TRENT but the phone will be going on Monday morning of that you can be sure.
Bob Tidbury

Hi Bob

No disrespect but your lovely Pendolino has circuit boards and internal wiring, and that particular model is most certainly state of the art with all the "bells and whistles" one could wish for! I truly hope (and expect) that it will give you many years of enjoyment without catching fire just as your UM locos do or indeed any of the recent crop of highly detailed coreless motor Farish locos would!

Regards

Roy

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »
Roy LS
I agree my Pendolino is state of the art with all the circuite boards etc ,this was made by and sold by companies who are both passionate about model railways and in no way was I referring to them ,as you say I am very confidant that  the Pendo  will give me an outstanding performance for a very long time ,just as Union Mills Models do,and I cant wait to get my City of Truro by the way.
As we are now going way off topic I think we will have to close this conversation but just to address the balance  I do agree that the latest locos from both Farish  and Dapol have shown a big improvement from the comments Ive read on here ,for instance  my Dapol Chiltern 68 is absolutely brilliant ,so perhaps we can look forward to better quality control from them in the future.
Bob Tidbury

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

anything