!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)  (Read 25756 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)
« Reply #615 on: August 16, 2019, 10:56:48 PM »
You should enrol in a university, Ian. You have enough material here for a thesis!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #616 on: August 17, 2019, 12:12:02 AM »
Hi Ian,

You should write a little book called 'Ian's Guide to Japanese Railways and Modelling them in N Gauge'.

Every copy comes with free pamphlets of the 'George's Guide to Japan' series including 'Where and where not to stay', 'What and what not to eat', 'Essential tips on beer drinking' and 'The Mystery of Japanese Toilets - all you need to know'  :D.

Seriously though Ian, maybe you should, I've learned so much and wasn't even interested in Japanese trains before.

Cheers weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 07:15:56 AM by weave »

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #617 on: August 17, 2019, 04:25:56 AM »
You should enrol in a university, Ian. You have enough material here for a thesis!  :thumbsup:

The only "thesis" around here is that "thesis too many model trains" ;)

Hi Ian,

You should write a little book called 'Ian's Guide to Japanese Railways and Modelling them in N Gauge'.

Every copy comes with free pamphlets of the 'George's Guide to Japan' series including 'Where and where not stay', 'What and what not to eat', 'Essential tips on beer drinking' and 'The Mystery of Japanese Toilets - all you need to know'  :D.

Seriously though Ian, maybe you should, I've learned so much and wasn't even interested in Japanese trains before.

Glad to here it is of interest, though I'm not doing much more than rehashing information available on Wikipedia et al ;).

Anyway here's Yet Another Brown Locomotive, which I bought not long after I embarked on the slippery slide down the N gauge rabbit hole because it was on sale cheap (what else?) without really knowing what it is, and it languished unused and unembellished until recently, when I dug it out as part of a round of Locomotive Embellishment (adding number plates and other details):

Tomix EF60 (EF60-42) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

As we all know by now, a 1500v DC locomotive with 6 powered axles, in the typical Bo-Bo-Bo configuration.

Historically this EF60 locomotive is interesting as it's the first class of post-war "modern" mainline DC locomotives, which established the classic "brick" shape with rounded cab windows.

Built during the first half of the 1960s, technologically it derives from developments first implemented with the (smaller) ED61 we have previously seen (which itself benefitted from advances made in AC locomotive development), which made it feasible to pack in the gubbins necessary to provide equivalent power to the older 2-Co-Co-2 locos (EF57, EF58) etc. in a smaller space with better efficiency.

Stylistically it retains (as does the ED61 and the DF50) the single centre-mounted headlight, but from the 4th batch this was replaced by two smaller headlights (such as this example here), which set the basic style for electric locomotive design for a couple of decades.

Now, in their brown heyday these would have run on the Tokaido Main Line connecting Tokyo and Osaka (the old Cape Gauge route, not the Shinkansen), which is not my particular interest (though I do have enough Tokaido Line stock for it to feel at home).

But - and this is probably about the point my biographers will determine my transition from enthusiastic collector to detail-obsessed maniac - during my "research" I discovered that a few of these were stationed on the Chuo Line (at the former Hachioji depot, the same "Hachi" from "Takahachikawa") for a couple of years (ca. 1979 - 1982), after being displaced from front-line duties by newer classes. By this point they had been painted blue, and the above EF60-42 wasn't among their number... Helpfully Tomix also make a variant of the specific subclass in the appropriate colour:

Tomix EF60 (EF60-23) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

but unhelpfully the selection of numberplates supplied doesn't match any of those stationed on the Chuo Line. The previous owner (Tomix ain't making these at the moment, so second-hand it must be) had fitted "EF60-23", which is as close as you can get to "EF60-24", which was one of the Chuo Line allocation, but that's not Good Enough, Oh No, so the Third Party Parts Market was perused and lo-and-behold someone makes a bunch of plates including "EF60-24", so duly acquired and put into the todo pile...

One of these, EF60-19, has actually survived in active service, mainly for excursion trains, enthusiast specials etc., but its potential demise is currently the subject of rumour.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:30:48 AM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #618 on: August 18, 2019, 07:48:58 AM »
Step-by-step, some more scenery...

rear-left-scene-2019-08-17_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #619 on: August 18, 2019, 08:21:35 AM »
So which kit was cannibalised for those?

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #620 on: August 18, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »
They are 3D printed parts from a small company which produces some nifty small scenic items.

I saw them at the exhibition the other day and immediately thought of a use for them. :thumbsup:

rear-left-scene-2019-08-18_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #621 on: August 18, 2019, 09:01:05 AM »
Cool!

Memories of Hakone!  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #622 on: August 18, 2019, 06:21:33 PM »
The Hymeks look very good, Ian. My favourite livery is BR Green with small warning panel then BR Early Blue with Grey cab surrounds and with small warning panel. I have two of the first and one each of the others. I think BR Green with small warning panels goes very well with BR Lined Maroon, particularly the Colletts of which I see you have one followed by a Gresley which, strangely, is not unprototypical if you include as the first coach as the WR seemed to have a batch of them, particularly SKs, used for 'strengtheners' at peak times in the early 1960s.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #623 on: August 18, 2019, 07:20:26 PM »
Meanwhile, due to a bizarre sequence of freak signalling errors, the driver of the 10:22 railcar service to Falmouth found his route knowledge stretched to the limits.

Dapol Class 122 (55000) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(This popped up on a local auction site at a very reasonable price, and it would have been rude not to).

Another very nice model, Ian, and also suitable for 'through' running. I'm glad you got one as a bargain.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #624 on: August 19, 2019, 02:55:17 PM »
I do have half-a-dozen or so Dapol Gresleys, some certainly with through-running compatible numbers, others (including some crimson/cream ones) acquired because I like the look of them  :thumbsup:

Talking of non-Japanese coaching stock, the space-time-continuum threw another wobbly and brought us what might be, if you close your eyes a little and ignore logo discrepancies, the EC10/11 Berlin-Zagreb "Mimara" EuroCity with a mixed rake of Austrian and Croatian stock ca. 1999/2000).

EC11/EC12 "Mimara" by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The real train had DB and Slovenian coaches as well:  https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=DB&cislo=11&rok=2000&lang=en

I can't recall whether I ever actually saw this one, but the Croatian coaches rang a bell and I was living within sight of the line they passed through in Berlin.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #625 on: August 20, 2019, 04:42:58 PM »
A bit more scenickerying:

rear-left-scene-2019-08-20_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #626 on: August 21, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »
A rare visitor on clearance testing duties:

Kato 0 series Shinkansen by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This is a 0-series Shinkansen (the classic "Bullet Train"), albeit the later 2000 series. As a very very broad rule of thumb, the original series had wide windows spanning several seating rows (like those on BR Mk3 coaches), later series had smaller windows (one per seating row). You could however see formations with mixtures of window types.

The last of the 0 series were withdrawn from service in 2008, by which time they were eking out a marginal existence as 4 and 6 car formations on stopping services in the west of Japan.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #627 on: August 21, 2019, 09:16:33 AM »
You've modelled main street, Hakone!  :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #628 on: August 21, 2019, 09:18:30 AM »
Excellent stuff.
I havenít dipped into this thread for a few weeks so good to see it all coming along superbly.
I love that view of the bullet train. With a bit (well maybe quite a lot) of imagination, it could almost be Sydney Gardens in Bath !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #629 on: August 21, 2019, 09:19:41 AM »

Kato 0 series Shinkansen by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This is a 0-series Shinkansen (the classic "Bullet Train"), albeit the later 2000 series. As a very very broad rule of thumb, the original series had wide windows spanning several seating rows (like those on BR Mk3 coaches)

Like this:

MicroAce 0 Series Shinkansen by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(Forgot I had that one  :D )

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25%