!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 206383 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #3570 on: September 07, 2019, 05:57:47 PM »
Landscaping is coming on a treat, great smooth running in your video's too, you deserve that after all the trials and tribulations you have shared with us over the years

Hope you enjoy TINGS, I am only there on the Saturday, looking forward to it with less than a week to go   :claphappy:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3571 on: September 07, 2019, 08:41:27 PM »
Landscaping is coming on a treat, great smooth running in your video's too, you deserve that after all the trials and tribulations you have shared with us over the years

Hope you enjoy TINGS, I am only there on the Saturday, looking forward to it with less than a week to go   :claphappy:
Thanks Andrew

We had intended to be at TINGS on Saturday until we realised we had this U3A do on Saturday morning.  So we will drive down on Saturday afternoon and visit the show on Sunday morning before driving home again in the afternoon.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3572 on: September 07, 2019, 08:44:25 PM »
Today, for the second week running, we took the car into Hessle again because we wanted to go on to our favourite garden centre afterwards.  Also, I had a large parcel to post.  We had coffee at the garden centre and then bought an anniversary present, which was the main reason for our visit.

In the afternoon I picked peas and then tomatoes.  The Ferline tomatoes are starting to come into their own now, so we wont need to buy any tomatoes for cooking until then end of the Autumn.  Then I found a few raspberries and blackberries.  After that, it was time for a visit to the Train Shed.  When I arrived, the trains were all parked ready for cleaning the UP loops.  Here, in the station, you can see in the distance 45206 with the milk train parked in the goods loop.

Then, from left to right, you can see 45572 Eire with its ten-coach train at Platform 2, Forthampton Grange at Platform 3, 80119 with its suburban carriages at Platform 4 and Ditcheat Manor with the parcels train in the Milk loop.  All the other mainline trains were parked in the DOWN loops.

Nearest the camera, ignoring the branch run-around, is 46122, Royal Ulster Rifleman.  Then in receding order are Tiverton Castle, 61664 Liverpool, G2 49368, Cranmore Hall and 92006.  On the next track, further to the right is J26 65761 and behind that is 46443.  6417 is on the same track as 46443, immediately behind 92006.

I set about cleaning the UP loops and then moved all the trains back into the UP loops and vacated the DOWN loops.  Then it was time for a cup of tea.  While I was in the Train Shed, the postman left a parcel.  It turned out to be the acrylic paint that I ordered a couple of days ago.

They are 500ml pots, so I shouldn’t ever run out again.  I have plenty of small pots of many colours, but black, raw umber and green are the ones I use as base colours for the scenery.  Tomorrow, I will clean the DOWN loops.  With the fresh graphite on the UP loops, some of the locos struggled to get a grip on the curves, but that will soon clear up once I start proper running again.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3573 on: September 08, 2019, 08:29:00 PM »
Today, we went off to the gym first thing.  We didn’t actually go into the gym, but we met up with our daughter and son-in-law for coffee to deliver the anniversary present that we bought yesterday.  When we returned home, I set about cutting a wicked pyracantha that had suddenly become a problem.  It is in hedge form, although it actually grows along a wall.  While I was there, I had a go at two other shrubs in the same area.  That took my up to the end of the morning. 

In the afternoon, I brought round the compost recycling bin and chopped up all the bits.  They are too woody to put into our own compost system.  After that, I cut a cabbage that the tiny slugs had started to attack and then dug potatoes, carrots and parsnips.  I also spotted a couple of late strawberries.  By then, it was time for a cup of tea.  Finally, I made it down to the Train Shed.  I was greeted by the sight of the station platforms filled once again, but with the trains from the DOWN loops this time.

Nearest the camera are J39 64960 and 38XX class 3846.  Directly in front of them is the back of the coal train with G2 49368 at the head.  On the adjacent track, at Platform 4, is the passenger train behind Cranmore Hall.  On the other side of the island platform, at Platform 3, is 61664 and, adjacent to it is 46122 Royal Ulster Rifleman at Platform 2.  The milk train is still in the goods depot.  The UP loops were now filled with trains.

Nearest the camera is Tiverton Castle and next to that stands Forthampton Grange.  Then comes 45572 Eire and 92006 with the fish train.  Beyond that you can see 801119, Ditcheat Manor with the parcels train, J26 65761 with the pickup goods and 46443, a short way behind 6417.

I cleaned the DOWN loops and then remarshalled the trains back to their starting positions for the first operational timetable cycle.  During this manoeuvre, 46122 had severe problem with wheel slip in the DOWN loops, so much so that I thought it must have shed a traction tyre.  However, when I looked there was no sign of any traction tyres and there were none beside the track.  I concluded that it had never had any and it had taken a dislike to the graphite.  I ran it in a tail chase with Tiverton Castle and it gradually improved.  By the end, it was almost back to normal.  So that appears to be a problem caused by the application of too much graphite.  We live and learn! 

Anyway, I am now ready to start running timetabled operations again and will soon be able to film the missing timetable cycles.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3574 on: September 08, 2019, 08:32:08 PM »
laurence

thats a seriously impressive drivers ' eye view of your layout

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3575 on: September 09, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »
Today, we were back to a normal Monday, so it was off to table tennis first thing.  But, before we went, I managed a session in the Train Shed.  My first action was to remove the paper sheets masking the backscene on the station board.

I had fixed them in place with Tacky Wax to prevent the backscene from being sprayed while I airbrushed the surface I had laid as a base for the town.  I was conscious that they were quite prominent in the videos.  So now you can see the whole backscene again.

That looks much better and I will film the next sessions with a proper backscene again.  After that, I again ran Royal Ulster Rifleman round the layout for a while.  It is gradually improving.  I also used some clean card to wipe off some of the excess graphite.  Most of the other locos behave perfectly well, either because they have a lighter load or they run at slower speeds, or both.  I think the Scot is now running well enough for filming through the station.

After table tennis, we had some shopping to do and, in the afternoon, I continued painting my little office.  But I had time for a filming session in the Train Shed and filmed the whole of Cycle 1.  I also had time to start editing it to putting it together for the next video.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3576 on: September 10, 2019, 07:58:25 PM »
Today we had the joiner again to finish all the left-over bits and pieces, so I didn’t venture down to the Train Shed this morning.  However, I did have to walk into Hessle to erect a banner for our coffee morning on Saturday.  After I returned, we had coffee.  Before I went and after I returned I worked on editing the video sequence I recorded yesterday.

Once the joiner had gone, we had something to eat and then we visited J Sainsbury, possibly for the last time.  Once again they were out of stock of some of the things for which we used to depend on them.  When we returned, we had a cup of tea and then I managed another session in the Train Shed.  This time I captured all the station sequences for the next full cycle.  Now all I have to do is to edit them into another video.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #3577 on: September 10, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
... we visited J Sainsbury, possibly for the last time.

Laurence, I hope you have a Waitrose! I've always been impressed with J. Sainsbury but our shopping has been mainly at Waitrose and M&S Foodhall.

Leon
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:14:28 PM by Leon »
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3578 on: September 10, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »
... we visited J Sainsbury, possibly for the last time.

Laurence, I hope you have a Waitrose! I've always been impressed with J. Sainsbury but our shopping has been mainly at Waitrose and M&S Foodhall.

Leon

My thoughts entirely, Leon.

I think there is one at Willerby* which is close to Hessle.

Waitrose is great - as is M&S Foodhall.

Excellent film, Laurence - many thanks.

* Providing, Laurence, that you don't object to venturing into the Hull & Barnsley Railway's territory!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3579 on: September 11, 2019, 06:44:23 AM »

Providing, Laurence, that you don't object to venturing into the Hull & Barnsley Railway's territory!
When I go to the bank we park next to the site of the old Willerby station.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3580 on: September 11, 2019, 08:37:07 PM »
Today, we went to the gym as normal.  We’re not quite back to normal yet because we have the coffee morning on Saturday followed by a journey to Leamington Spa to visit TINGS on Sunday.  And I have to go on a ‘Good Councillor’ course tomorrow.  But we’re getting there slowly.  Anyway, before we went to the gym, I managed another running session in the Train Shed and completed filming the next full cycle of the operational timetable.  Before I went to the Train Shed, I was also able to start editing yesterday’s filming session.

In the afternoon, we had to run a session of the U3A table tennis group, after which we needed to do a little shopping to buy some of the things that were out of stock at Sainsburys yesterday.  By the time we arrived home again we were ready to start preparing tea.  However, after that, I managed to finish the editing session and so here is the latest video.

Tomorrow and on Friday, I hope to be able to edit the film I shot today.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3581 on: September 12, 2019, 07:57:15 PM »
Today I was out from early this morning for my ‘Being a Good councillor’ training day.  I managed a very small amount of editing before I went but, otherwise, I had no time for Train Shed issues at all. 

However, at Marton Hinmarche, Marcus and Julius Dinsdale, the two sons of Baron Tiverton went train spotting today, overlooking the station so that they could see all the train movements in and out of the station.  The had teamed up with Alan Cooper and Mick Gibson.  Alan went round to Black Horse Cutting and Mick went the other way to see the trains running through Burnham Rocks Cutting.  They had previously agreed to start early, before the first train was due and stay for the whole day until the last train had departed.  The decided that they would meet up the following day to compare their spots and mark off all the locos and stock in their Ian Allen ABC books.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3582 on: September 13, 2019, 08:25:52 PM »
We are really topsy-turvy at the moment.  We shan’t be straight until Monday.  This morning I had to walk into Hessle to the butchers to collect a chicken for our evening meal tonight.  That’s because we are going to TINGS on Sunday and we have the coffee morning tomorrow morning before we set off for Leamington Spa.  I began by packing the car before walking into Hessle, but that was a bit of a problem because, when I returned, I found that there was another load of things to go in the car.  So I had to unpack everything and start again.  I managed to do some of my weekly jobs this morning, but the rest will have to wait until next week.  I was also able to do some editing of the next video, but there was a problem because two of the sequences were missing.  Eventually, I found one of them in the camera memory, but the other simply didn’t exist.

After coffee, I picked runner beans, a few peas and a few French beans plus some Borlotti beans.  Then I picked tomatoes.  By then, it was time for something to eat.  In the afternoon, I managed a visit to the Train Shed to film the missing sequence and, while I was there, I filmed the all the sequences for the final video.  After that, I cut the grass and then pulled potatoes, carrots and parsnips.  That left me time to complete the editing of the video that I had been working on before.  Here it is at last.

That leaves me just one more video to complete the entire timetable.  I have assembled all the videos into a revolving series for the coffee morning tomorrow.  I have completed Episodes 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8.  Unfortunately, episode 4 will not be ready in time if, indeed, I even have time to start editing it before next week.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3583 on: Yesterday at 09:21:14 PM »
Today was an extremely strenuous day.  We started with the coffee morning.  At least my videos ran well, with all seven episodes running back to back without a hitch.  The whole took over an hour and a half, then I started it off from the beginning again.  I still have to edit the last one but, when I have completed it. I will see if there is a way to show all eight episodes concatenated together via the Forum.  After that, we went home and unpacked, ready to set off for Leamington Spa.  Unfortunately, when we arrived at the hotel it was like Casey’s Court in reception.  There was no-one on reception and no means of summoning anyone.  Apparently, there was a wedding reception and a coach party, so it would not have been impossible to order food before 20.00.  We considered that it would have meant we were unlikely to have finished our meal before 22.00.  After several complaints, one of the awaiting staff found us the phone numbers of a couple of local hostelries within walking distance, so we booked a table and set off on foot.  That killed two birds with one stone because we had a nice walk there and back, returning in the twilight, plus a nice, although not cheap, meal.   By the time we had finished it was twilight.  The pub was right on the canal, so I took a picture of the dying rays of the Sun.

Unfortunately the striations of the dying Sun on the clouds didn’t come out in the picture, although I did try to enhance it.  Tomorrow, we will be at TINGS.  I’ve never been to TINGS before and I’ve recently heard not so good reports about it, so I will see how it goes.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55%