!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Molesworth Vale  (Read 12098 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Molesworth Vale
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2020, 07:39:30 AM »
That is certainly a very comprehensive post Andy. The scenery is looking really good.
Iíve always found the best way to disguise the bottom of walling is to add tiny bits of foliage clumps pushed into the the gaps between baseboard and wall before adding the static grass.
Strategically placed foliage clumps acting as bushes will also disguise gaps where sections of walling come together.

Regards
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2020, 08:08:52 PM »
Walls, walls, and more walls...

This last week has been dominated by the construction of more dry stone walling sections - I've cut/painted/coated/positioned an additional 20ft or so to the layout, and now have walling completed on the incline/fiddleyard board, as well as along the back scene down to the riverbank (southern end), and along the back edge of the northern board. There is still some touching up needed where the wall segments join, where there are bare patches, and at the locations where a gap has been cut for gates.

To complete walling on the southern board, I need to add another 4ft or so along the edge of the permanent way down to the riverbank on the inner edge. Fencing will run along the banks and will also be used to line the tracks in the middle of this baseboard. I've started to prepare some rocks for the river bed by soaking them in a watered down paint mix (similar to the ones used for the exposed rock faces) and leaving to dry. These will be scattered in the river bed before I add my water. A couple of new exposed rocks have been added to the embankment sides where I decided that they were too steep for a grassed slope. Once these are finished, I'll start on the greenery.

The western/incline/fiddleyard baseboard is nearly ready for more base scenic treatment of fine flock followed by 2mm basing static grass but first I have to finish painting up some additional rocks that were a last minute addition. The gate from the country lane into the field is a laser cut kit from Scale Model Scenery and was a little tricky to assemble with my less than steady hands, but well worth the effort. I still need to stain this an appropriate colour before I can glue it into place.

More walls are needed for the northern baseboard to line the elevated track up to the bridge (off the left edge of the photo below), and along the road (currently under the cutting mat). While these are under construction I should be able to finish off the level crossing and the road tunnel. Where the upper level tracks curve over the aforementioned road tunnel, the land boundary markings will change to fencing. I have some on order (again from Scale Model Scenery) but these may take a while to arrive due to the business relocating. This baseboard has a shelf underneath that holds my booster etc. and I recently bought a mini-PC which now also resides there. This PC will be used for monitoring the fiddle yard (I have a couple of webcams positioned to view the throats at each end), programming locos, possibly running some of the trains, and for reviewing YouTube videos of scenery techniques as and when I need them. My monitor has been mounted to the wall above the board and I just need to hide the cabling in some white channeling when I next have my drill handy.

The only other thing I've had the time to do this week has been to practice with various grass blends/lengths, and various types of glue, on a little test board that has a couple of pieces of walling already attached. I think the results are looking fairly good, but any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Andy

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2020, 08:17:32 PM »
Impressive dry stone walling

Offline Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2020, 08:31:44 PM »
Andy,

I am no expert on static grass as I havenít used any, but that looks pretty good to me, I also like your stone walls, makes me think I should build some for Hillsden as there were plenty of drystone walls in the chosen area.

Your not the only one who now struggles with their hands, I often have to use blue-tak to help, as I canít hold anything in place at times with my left hand whilst applying liquid poly with my right hand

Thank you for your update and keep up with the impressive work

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2020, 09:41:25 PM »
There is still some touching up needed where the wall segments join, where there are bare patches, and at the locations where a gap has been cut for gates.

For sure, gaps at gates would have been filled in but I think some 'tatty' bits i.e. loose stones lying at the base of the wall might be a nice detail.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal