!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hadley Wood  (Read 9135 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Hadley Wood
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2019, 11:27:35 AM »
Incredible work. Triple  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2019, 12:12:25 PM »
Incredible work. Triple  :thumbsup:

Thanks Bealman!  :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
There has been some more progress on the first board over the last few days. The first couple of servos are in along with some of the control circuitry - this is where having a father who is a retired electronics engineer is a big help!

I've also made up some of the track for the next bit of track laying and started to size up what is required. None of the new bits have been stuck down yet and there will not be any track overhanging the board once I'm done!  :P

The three coaches have been getting used as clearance vehicles. They've also started to give me an idea just how big the fiddle yard will end up being...  :goggleeyes:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2019, 12:21:36 PM »
Looking fab .... what I'd give to have a retired electronics engineer on hand, but the advice and wisdom of the forum sages see's me through  :beers:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »
Thats some superb trackwork and the scissor crossing. You must be pleased

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »
Looks superb Steve, it makes my new layout look positively amateurish by comparison. Keep the pics coming, it's inspiring stuff.

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #186 on: May 19, 2019, 10:18:33 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll be very pleased once everything is working! A minor problem has been shown up this evening. Some of the point blades are a little close to the stock rail when in the open position. This is causing some occasional derailments as the flanges hit the blade and ride over it. This didn't show up while testing as separate components but with the test wagon snaking around the curves, it has become a problem.

Luckily this should be a relatively simple fix with some careful work with the soldering iron and something that can be easily avoided on the next batch of points by opening up the clearances slightly. If I get a spare hour or two tomorrow, I will fix this.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: May 19, 2019, 10:20:22 PM »
Ok, a shot of the underside.

If I've understood this correctly (you wouldn't believe I got a B in Electronics at school!), at the top is the control board which has a maximum of sixteen outputs. Once programmed, this particular board will control the six servos and seven relays for the scissor crossing. The relays control the frog polarity and stand in place of micro switches - far less hassle to set up.

This is something that I will need to get a better understanding of if I am to maintain the layout in the future. Luckily, Merg (where the boards have been sourced from) are very helpful and the instructions seem to be concise and comprehensive.

With 24 sets of point blades to control on this board alone (c. 65 in total for the layout), there is still a way to go yet!

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »
I am again in awe! Just don't look under my baseboards Steve, you won't find anything as neat, tidy and professional as that! (Oh dear...).

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: May 21, 2019, 04:50:21 PM »
I am again in awe! Just don't look under my baseboards Steve, you won't find anything as neat, tidy and professional as that! (Oh dear...).

Thanks Roy,

I'm afraid I can't take credit for what is underneath the boards but I'm going to be having a go at the other end!  :goggleeyes:

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2019, 07:51:19 PM »
Very organised! Do you have software to do circuit diagrams and keep track of all the connections?

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »
I just downloaded TinyCAD - haven't used it in anger yet but it was recommended by another Forum member, and was very quick to download.

Still interested what you use!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2019, 12:36:53 PM »
Very organised! Do you have software to do circuit diagrams and keep track of all the connections?

The circuit diagrams will likely be produced using my CAD programme, Alibre. My father is producing a "book" of everything as it is wired up.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #193 on: May 23, 2019, 12:43:29 PM »
A little bits of a problem this morning. One of the servos decided to throw itself right around and broke a tie bar in the process. I've now done my first replacement of a servo and started to learn a bit about how to program them.

The relays got wired up and programmed last night (I wasn't about!) so, once the repair was made, we spent a little time this morning testing the scissor crossing.

The 4F used as a test locomotive did need a couple of the back to backs adjusted but this was done easily without having to dismantle anything. One of my A4s, Silver Fox, has also successfully traversed the crossing (again, with one tender wheelset needing a slight adjustment). Three Gresley coaches have also been tested under power but hauled by the 4F as there isn't enough track available to take them with the A4!  :doh:

Overall, I'm really happy that it seems to work.  :claphappy:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »
All looks good, Houston :D

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31