!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hadley Wood  (Read 12383 times)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hadley Wood
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »
so it is you  :goggleeyes:  .... ER II only has two (silver & golden)  :)

Drat I have been found out :(

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: March 09, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
so it is you  :goggleeyes:  .... ER II only has two (silver & golden)  :)
Actually, she has three: silver (1977), golden (1992) and diamond (2012).  Although if you take diamond in its original meaning, that won't be until 2027, when she will be 101!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2019, 03:40:09 PM »
Sorry Steve that your thread has been hi-jacked, you need to show us some more pics of delicious hand made pointwork to get the thread back on track  :)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2019, 03:51:55 PM »
Sorry Steve:(

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2019, 07:40:45 AM »
Hi-jack away guys, a bit of banter never hurts.  :D

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »
I've been spending a little time deciding how I want to do the fiddle yard. As I am cash strapped at the moment, I made the decision some time ago to scratch build all of the points for the hidden section. However, this created some issues to resolve as the copper clad points are around 0.45mm lower than Finetrax. After much thought, I decided to get some 0.6mm iron on veneer and laid this onto the bulk of the fiddle yard area today. This will be sanded back to bring the copper clad points and the Finetrax to the same height. This does mean that I have committed myself to building all of the plain track in this section out of copper clad as well.

I've not sanded the veneer back yet but I have placed most of the existing copper clad track that I've built onto boards to start getting a feel for how this will look and work.

In total there will be fifteen lines in the main fiddle yard section with a couple of additional kick back sidings (made from Finetrax) curving around at each end. I'd estimate that I've built around a quarter of the copper clad that is required and around half of the Finetrax. I've been fortunate that a couple of swaps with another modeller yielded another four meters of Finetrax sleeper bases and I already have rail to thread through this. This means that I probably have enough Finetrax bits now to complete the scenic track work as well as the bits that will end up leading to the fiddle yard.

It is nice to feel that the pipe dream is slowly becoming a reality and will actually be achievable! Hopefully a start will be made on actual track laying in the next couple of weeks. ;)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2019, 02:12:47 PM »
Its looking very professional  :D just wait until your first exhibition you will get lots of people asking to see your fiddle yard.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2019, 03:28:04 PM »
Check out last two photos on this link - HADLEY WOOD tunnel - very atmospheric black and white steam images:
https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/209-tpo-services-in-lner-and-er-days

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2019, 08:32:33 PM »
Belated thanks to DarrwestLU6 for the link to Steve Banks' site.

I've been asked a few times recently about progress on Hadley Wood. The truth is that other bits and pieces have gotten in the way along with days where I've not been able to do much (thankfully getting fewer in number now).

As a bit of an update, I present the sum total of the fiddle yard track built to date.

This represents almost enough track to start laying down the first few bits of the fiddle yard and around 25% of the total track required (both plain and points). Thankfully I only need two "super scissors" and I hope that they work as designed!

Hopefully I'll be able to built another three points tomorrow as well as a few more straights and start to seriously think about laying it down.  :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2019, 09:40:24 PM »
More progress in weeks than I make in years, and that's with handbuilding the track! :-[

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2019, 09:39:53 AM »
thanks for the update Steve and big well done on the progress you have made, track and pointwork looking awesome

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2019, 05:54:00 PM »
Thank you guys!  :D

Things have actually progressed a little with some of the track starting to be laid!  :bounce:

It hasn't all be plain sailing though, the "super scissor" is out! It was laid on Friday afternoon and following much testing and fettling, I decided to scrap it as it would have been too unreliable. I spent Saturday and Sunday mornings building a replacement standard scissor crossing (about five hours work) and got this in place last night. A couple of points feed it into the rest of the fiddle yard at at expense of around 10cm off the planned length of the loops.

Pictured above is the work to date, three of the points are only roughly positioned and not fixed yet. The plan is to build the entrances to the loops and kick back sidings on this board and then everything laid will be wired up and tested. This won't include any of the inner kick back sidings as the entrance to these will be on the middle board and will only be laid once the final position of the points feeding these has been established. Hopefully, the work to date starts to give an indication of just how expansive the fiddle yard will be.

Once I've finished laying this initial section, progress will slow as my father, a retired electronics engineer, is responsible for the wiring (and teaching me how it all works so I can repair it myself in the future!).

I no longer have some baseboards and bits of track, but instead I finally have the beginnings of a layout! Even better, the test wagons an coach have been successfully pushed over the sections laid so far! :D

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2019, 06:25:44 PM »
Awesome!

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2019, 06:36:31 PM »
Excellent, Steve.

And, probably,a wise decision about the 'super scissors'.

Better, I think, to have a simpler formation.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2019, 11:23:38 AM »
Awesome!

Thanks Darrwest! However, I'll try to refrain from agreeing with you until I've proven that everything actually does work as it should!  :smiley-laughing:

Excellent, Steve.

And, probably,a wise decision about the 'super scissors'.

Better, I think, to have a simpler formation.

Thanks John,

I'm in complete agreement with you, better to have that part of the formation run reliably and loose a little off the length of some formations.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything