!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hadley Wood  (Read 10056 times)

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hadley Wood
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »
thanks steve, work of art !!!!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2019, 09:14:36 PM »
This is just going to be sooooo impressive. I really want to see the inaugural test train run and have put it on my bucket list. No pressure then, Steve ;D

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2019, 11:26:17 AM »
Impressive and boy is that a lot of solder joints!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2019, 06:39:30 PM »
Thanks guys.

One annoying thing that I've needed to correct is the tie bars for the turnouts. Originally I made these out of the same copper clad sleepers as the rest of the track. However, these proved prone to breaking down the center and, having discussed the issue with a 2mm finescale modeller, I discovered that the sleepers are made out of paxolin and aren't very strong. I purchased a sheet of 0.8mm fiberglass copper clad board and hand cut replacement tiebars. All 25 of the existing turnouts have now been modified (18 of them already glued to the board!) and I've soldered an M1 washer over the linkage hole to provide a little more strength.

In other news, I finished the double turnout arrangement that will feed the inner kickback sidings.

Then I couldn't resist mocking up the first of the kickbacks.

Some quick measuring confirmed that it is just over 4' in length, so will be fine for holding eight coaches and a loco.

I've also made a start on the turnouts that will feed the two front loop lines. These will each hold three medium length trains and will be hidden under the cutting embankment.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2019, 06:47:00 PM »
Hope you get those tie bars sorted. Looking really effective and of a high standard. Thank you for sharing the track and photos with us. Chris

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: August 06, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
@Stevie DC
Im glad you've also had problems with tie bars - I was beginning to think it was something I was doing wrong. Ive just replaced the second lot of tie bars in my minimal test build layout. So now each point is up to its third tie bar. This time I drilled the smallest hole possible and made the isolating cut away from the hole. So far so good, but I think its only a matter of time.

Also annoying is that Ive just done an order to Rapidonline. Oh well, I'll just have to find some other stuff to buy so I can get the free postage.

On a positive note, FY is looking great Steve.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Hartlepool MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION
October 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2019, 02:57:26 PM »
Ive just done an order to Rapidonline. Oh well, I'll just have to find some other stuff to buy so I can get the free postage.
how about cpc,only 8 for free p+p compared to rapids 30

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: August 06, 2019, 04:16:13 PM »
Ive just done an order to Rapidonline. Oh well, I'll just have to find some other stuff to buy so I can get the free postage.
how about cpc,only 8 for free p+p compared to rapids 30
thanks madhippy, I'll have a look.

Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Hartlepool MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION
October 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2019, 08:04:58 PM »
Lots of progress there, good to see.  I had problems with tiebars as well;  I went through a few different versions including a 1.6mm thick tiebar (two strips of PCB glued back to back) sitting in a channel cut into the trackbed.  I ended up soldering the blades to brass cheesehead screws filed down on one side, attached to a nice thick tiebar hidden below the trackbed.  This has proved reliable so far and looks almost too neat: I really need to add dummy tiebars between the blades but haven't yet figured out a robust way to do this.

Richard

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2019, 04:22:21 PM »
Lots of progress there, good to see.  I had problems with tiebars as well;  I went through a few different versions including a 1.6mm thick tiebar (two strips of PCB glued back to back) sitting in a channel cut into the trackbed.  I ended up soldering the blades to brass cheesehead screws filed down on one side, attached to a nice thick tiebar hidden below the trackbed.  This has proved reliable so far and looks almost too neat: I really need to add dummy tiebars between the blades but haven't yet figured out a robust way to do this.

Wonderful work Richard! Jerry Clifford suggested a similar approach but using cut down Peco track pins soldered to fiberglass PCB. However, he also has turnouts with the blades soldered directly to the tiebar and has found failures a rare occurrence. 

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2019, 04:31:09 PM »
Some more tracklaying has taken place recently.

I've used Finetrax for the curves as it seemed easier to bend this to a 12 inch radius than to make up jigs for soldered construction. The outer two lines are loops that will be hidden by the cutting. Each will hold three goods trains of a maximum length of 3'6". The inner two lines will lead out to the scenic section (the straights here are only temporarily laid).

Finally, I couldn't resist placing twelve coaches and a loco onto the baseboards to get a feel for how things will be. The train is longer than the currently track laid but, having measured everything up, I can confirm that it will fit. This represents the longest passenger formation that the fiddle yard will accommodate. The only trains that will be longer will be the up and down coal trains that will occupy the center loops.

I'm away in Yorkshire from Friday and hope to use some of the time away to build the scissor crossing for the other end of the fiddle yard.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:14:05 PM by Stevie DC »

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2019, 04:34:19 PM »
Looking good steve those sweeping curves. Happy weekend up in yorkshire and good luck with the scissor crossing

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything