!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Nine Mile Hill (continued)  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Nine Mile Hill (continued)
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »
The current plan is for this to be a polarity reversal section operated in the traditional manner by a DPDT switch. My slight problem with this is that I've never been entirely happy having to stop a train in the middle of a section for no apparent reason in order to change polarity.
If you have DCC, what you need is a Hex Frog Juicer.  You connect the power inut to the juicer to the DCC bus and one output to each rail in the green section.  If you have DC, I think it will require a stop and switch because the variable voltage will not support a logic circuit.  I'll have a think to see if there is a way to get over this.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 05:45:12 PM »
No, I'm definitely a DCC refusenik! I did look into it when I was getting back into N gauge, but decided it was way over my head, and I couldn't afford to chip all my locos.

I'm sure if there was an alternative to a DPDT switch someone would have found it by now. I'll probably stick with the original plan.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline Papyrus

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »
Progress report

Well, there has been some... Progress is still very slow, mainly due to lack of layout time, but that is good in a way as it has enabled me to make one or two minor amendments to the track plan (I've reached version 2.2.11 of the layout plan  :hmmm: ) which have improved operational variety. I've got all the electrics working (for now) and the bridge is in place so I can complete the up and down inclines. I hope to post another update in slightly less than 3 months...

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline Papyrus

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 06:51:02 PM »
Well, here we all are, then. It’s been a while, but finally a milestone has been reached. Track has finally all been laid and it all works!

However, progress has been pitifully slow and the glacier at one point went into retreat when I had to rip up the upper layer and reconfigure the whole thing because I had made the incline too steep. I do have a valid excuse for the slow progress though – he is two years old and called Oliver. He’s our grandson and we look after him two days a week, which means that the ‘railway room’ has to be used for his afternoon nap. Anything pointy or sharp has to be put away, the desk folded up, and trains put out of sight. As a result, I’m lucky if I am able to spend a couple of evenings a week “a-workin’ on the railroad”, mostly, it has to be said, spent correcting the previous evening’s mistakes! (Several sessions were spent trying to fathom out why one section wasn’t working although I checked all the connections. Eventually I sat down with pencil and paper and worked out that one rail was connected to the positive side and the other rail was connected to the, er…, positive side.) Still, 3 steps forward and 2 back is still progress and I have got there in the end.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures to give you an idea of where we currently stand. The hidden section at the right-hand end is where the polarity-reversal takes place. There are only two storage roads, but I dislike fiddle yards anyway so that is not an issue for me – I’m modelling a quiet East Anglian backwater, not Clapham junction! Note the @Newportnobby  Anti-Calamity Barrier along the open edge (see, I do listen…!).
I can now start on the scenery which I’ve pretty much got sorted in my head, but I might take a bit of time out to build a couple of kits which is the bit I really enjoy.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 07:53:14 PM »
congratulations on finishing the track work!

tim

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »
@Papyrus
Chris - Anti-Calamity Barrier. :D :thumbsup:

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 11:12:44 PM »
Looking good  :thumbsup:

What brand is that trackwork in the middle, please? Minitrix?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Papyrus

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 03:49:11 PM »
Yes, Minitrix. A very useful little double-slip if you can get hold of one. It's quite a tight radius but my Austerity 2-8-0 goes through it with ease. There is one with an even tighter radius which would probably only be useful on a tram layout.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything