!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tomytec tram track and bus systems  (Read 1629 times)

Offline martynlg

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Tomytec tram track and bus systems
« on: April 28, 2018, 11:40:23 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum despite many years of N gauge modelling (both Swiss and British outline, but now just Swiss). I'm in the process of remodelling my flat townscape and have already included Tomix tram track that I've had and used for several years now. As I'm now still at the planning stage, I'd like to include a Tomytec bus (have ordered up a PTT Citaro and matching chassis). I've yet to decide whether to go for modelling the street using the Tomytec track or go 'freestyle' i.e. burying guide wire. Right now I'm favouring the latter as it gives me a bit more flexibility on where to route the buses, although the track is tempting to make life a bit easier.

I see some great layouts shown in posts on this forum using tomytec trams/buses, so am wondering if you can answer some basic questions for me.
a) is the Tomytec bus track as supplied the same height (6mm) as the tram track?
b) if I go for burying the wire, any ideas what depth I'll need to bury it at (I see that Faller and Tomytec vehicles have diffierent strength magnets so are not interchangeable, but not planning on using Faller)?

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Tomytec tram track and bus systems
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »
Welcome to our friendly forum Martyn, nice to have you on board.  There are a few peeps on here who use the Tomix track and no doubt will chime in as soon as they see you post.
 :welcomesign:

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »
Hi Martyn :wave: and welcome aboard. :wave:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »
G'day from Australia, Martyn, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

We have several members here who can assist.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 03:17:58 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum despite many years of N gauge modelling (both Swiss and British outline, but now just Swiss). I'm in the process of remodelling my flat townscape and have already included Tomix tram track that I've had and used for several years now. As I'm now still at the planning stage, I'd like to include a Tomytec bus (have ordered up a PTT Citaro and matching chassis). I've yet to decide whether to go for modelling the street using the Tomytec track or go 'freestyle' i.e. burying guide wire. Right now I'm favouring the latter as it gives me a bit more flexibility on where to route the buses, although the track is tempting to make life a bit easier.

I see some great layouts shown in posts on this forum using tomytec trams/buses, so am wondering if you can answer some basic questions for me.
a) is the Tomytec bus track as supplied the same height (6mm) as the tram track?
b) if I go for burying the wire, any ideas what depth I'll need to bury it at (I see that Faller and Tomytec vehicles have diffierent strength magnets so are not interchangeable, but not planning on using Faller)?

A search in the Trams section produces a lot of hits on Tomix/ tomytec

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=153.0
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »

Correct, it's all part of the same modular system.

Not 100% sure, I was planning to try it sandwiched between two 3mm styrene sheets, but have yet to progress that far so can't say for definite.

Here is someone on another forum who appears to have had some success with putting the wire underneath the Tomix tram tracks.

I suspect you may need to experiment with the type of wire you have and the road material you're working with to be sure.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline martynlg

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 03:50:31 PM »
Thanks very much for the information. I'll experiment once the supplies of wire and the bus arrive and see just how proficient I am at getting it all to work. Don't want to have to invest in bus track if I can use the burying method OK, but it's nice to know that the tram and bus track is compatible.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 04:56:48 PM »
The guide wire needs to be about 0.5mm below the running surface. I suggest you experiment with sheets of plain paper. Tape the wire in a circle to one sheet and lay it wire side down. Then add extra sheets until the bus stops following the wire. Then remove one or two sheets and confirm it still follows the wire. Measure the thickness of the sheets. I have been using 0.5mm grey card on some of my test circuits and this seems to work fine.

I am also using the sectional roadway, mainly because it allows easy use of the minimum radius of 66mm for tight turns. I have plenty of those.

The other advantage of the sectional roadway is tracks with stop switches, and the bus stop set with stop-pause-restart function which is built in to every chassis. I have also installed my own stopping points using a couple of magnets which allow me to hold buses off scene.

At the risk of boring regular readers, there is a video here which uses the Tomytec sectional roadway with my own stopping points included. The buses use my 3D printed interface between the bus body and the WBM-L01 chassis which is identical to the one in your Citaro. Lights on this can be disabled by holding in the stop-start button for 3 seconds after the motor is running.

I also have some tram track and confirm @railsquid advice that the road and tram tracks are the same height. The curves also nest with each other.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:00:01 PM by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline martynlg

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 05:09:35 PM »
That's great, thanks for the very valuable information. I looked at your video too (certainly not boring, great use of the bus system). I also read your post and watched your video on Youtube from a while back about setting up your own bus stop. I may need to come back to you on that for detailed instructions as I'd like to include one if possible. I'm aiming at having a small bus station at the 'hauptbahnhof' with mainly statics but one (possible two moving) buses. :thankyousign:

Offline woodbury22uk

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »
@martynlg  I'll do whatever I can to help. Setting up the bus stops just takes a bit of practice. Good luck.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Online bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 11:48:28 PM »
hello and welcome

looking forward to seeing you bus system!

tim

Offline martynlg

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »
Thanks so much to everyone for their really helpful advice. I've decided to start by buying the Tomytec road track as I already have the Tomix tram track and so I can attach the bus 'track' to the outside. Have ordered up the appropriate radius curves and straights to fit a road around the outside of the tram track. Just not yet feeling confident enough to make my own road, but will still experiment and see if I can install wire in another part of my layout at some point, so the advice on that will still be very useful as I increase my skills level with the bus system.

Just one more question if I may.

I notice on eBay one can buy 'stop/go track' which it says one can work with a switch. Is this like the bus stop where one can fit an extra magnet so it operates automatically in the 'stop' switched position? I'd like to fit these in a concealed area so the bus is not simply going around all the time.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 05:08:57 PM »
The stop go track is 74mm long and has a slide switch with a single stop magnet. It is moved to either stop or go. The bus stop includes an extra magnet to trigger the stop pause restart sequence on the bus circuit bosrd. It can be replaced with a couple of well placed magnets.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:07:16 PM by woodbury22uk, Reason: Spelling »
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline woodbury22uk

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
This is the basic layout of magnets to mimic the Tomytec bus stop’s trigger for the stop-pause-restart function on the bus.

The view is from above.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/42/main_15006.bmp

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:43:16 PM by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline martynlg

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 10:41:25 AM »
Thanks for the information and image. :thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00