!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol A4  (Read 76150 times)

Offline MikeDunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
Re: Dapol A4
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »
That duck in BR Blue no use ?

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
With a bent wire, I managed to get a little bit of oil onto the shaft just behind where the cardan shaft sits in the loco and it seems to have solved the problem so far.

Update: It hasn't.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:13:09 AM by Elvinley »

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2012, 04:17:26 AM »
I sent my faulty loco back to the seller I had it from and my replacement arrived today. I am giving it a run-in now but it's not looking good. One side of the loco lifts as it traverses any set of points.

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2012, 07:44:44 AM »
Sorry to hear that Elvinley, it must be very frustrating. I hope you do eventually get a good one.

It's very dissappointing to hear that things don't seem to have improved much, I was optimistically hoping the the A3s and A4s would be more trouble free.

It's an improvement to have a better guarantee but you still have the problem of posting locos backwards and forwards and being without them when they are being replaced or repaired.

I does tend to make you lose confidence in the manufacturer.

Regards

Veronica.

Offline K-N-Gauge

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about this!
My silver fox has fun perfectly since buying it no problems
I have brough 5 dapol loco's in 2 months an A4, Brit, 9f, hall and a terrier and all are perfect!
It's weird alot of people seem to have problems with even replacement loco's yet I buy 5 and they all work I must be lucky!

Offline Mike J

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »
This is a real shame for Dapol, and Dapol customers.
The new guarantee from the company must be a comfort for those customers with less than perfect models.
I must say though, just to create some balance, all my Dapol locomotives are fine. Maybe like K-N-Gauge I have just been lucky. My mate GB no 9 is however on his third or fourth attempt at the B1. The motor runs so hot, even after a short run, that the tender distorts because of the heat. Dapol have replaced each one without any quibble, but he is on the verge of giving up.
I am waiting for A3 Papyrus which I have on order, and the valanced A4s, so I'm hoping that my lucky streak continues! (wey-hey)
Duchesses are red, A4s are blue,
126 for the A4, The Duchess couldn't do

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2012, 10:59:15 AM »
It's the same old story that some are lucky, but there is obviously still a big issue here. I am just going to stick to my Farish A4s as they are good enough for me and run very well.

Offline rusticged

• N Gauge Society Number: 9108
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »
 :wave:
Hi Folks
I must be another of those lucky ones.
I have both of the green A4s from Dapol and I am really pleased with both of them. They look superb! They were a little noisy to begin with but I oiled the tender axles (which seemed to be where most of the noise was coming from) and after about 30 minutes of running they have quietened down nicely. I am very impressed with the haulage capacity and they run well over my mixture of Peco track and Kato points.
 :beers:
Rusticged

Layout: 'Leefield & Ashpeth'
Modelling Freelance British outline from the 1960s to the Present day.

Offline K-N-Gauge

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2012, 04:59:28 PM »
:wave:
Hi Folks
I must be another of those lucky ones.
I have both of the green A4s from Dapol and I am really pleased with both of them. They look superb! They were a little noisy to begin with but I oiled the tender axles (which seemed to be where most of the noise was coming from) and after about 30 minutes of running they have quietened down nicely. I am very impressed with the haulage capacity and they run well over my mixture of Peco track and Kato points.
 :beers:
Glad to hear it :)
Mine was abit noisy before being run in but like you mine has quietened down nicely, the metal chassis's on these are a real good base and weighty it outpulls all my other loco's including minitrix stuff

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2012, 05:09:32 PM »
but I oiled the tender axles

Remember these are pickups, so you need to use a conductive lubricant or it'll reduce pickup capability.

Best Regards,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline davieb

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »
hi all  :thumbsup:

after seeing one of the A4s in the flesh on monday i just had to get one  :angel:  :smiley-laughing:

the loco was oiled as per the instructions and i started to run it in and found that yes the tender wheels make a right racket so i put some power-lube on the bearings as suggested above and hey presto no more noise  :)
then after another 30 mins i started to get a screeching noise coming from the loco but it was difficult to tell just where it was coming from
so i placed it on my new wheel cleaning gizzmo and could tell right away that it was coming from the driving wheels  :-\

so i removed the keeper plate to have a look and found the factory applied grease everywhere apart from on the gear train  :o
so i removed the excess grease and applied a small amount of oil and tried again
still there was the screeching  ::)
so i thought to myself if the tender wheels could make a noise what about the driving wheels
so i applied a small drop of power-lube to the driving wheel bearings and tried again

that solved the problem no more screeching  :thumbsup:

i now have an A4 that runs extremely well the tender barely gets warm even after a 15min run with 10 coaches in tow at 3/4 power

so i have to say with a bit of TLC i now have a loco that i am totally happy with and it looks like Dapol are onto a winner
it may not be perfect but i'm happy even if my layout is supposed to be based in the NW so it will be running railtours and Football specials  ;D

dave  :thumbsup:

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:56 PM »
Hi Dave :wave:
Glad you sorted it and are pleased with it :thumbsup:

Offline K-N-Gauge

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »
glad you got a good one like me :D
powerful little things!
which one did you get?

Offline davieb

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »
i got Late crest Wild Swan

yes they are powerful it's currently going round my layout with 13 coaches in tow 5 Pullmans and 8 Mk1s

everything on the A4 looks to be build to a much higher standard than the Brit that i had to return  :thumbsup:
even the wire connections between the loco and tender look like they are made to last (touches wood)  :smiley-laughing:

at this rate i may have to spend some more money when Flying Scotsman is released  :angel:

so when my layout built to represent lancashire in the mid-late 60s is finished it looks like plenty of railtours will be running  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  ;D

Offline K-N-Gauge

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2012, 10:38:16 PM »
i got Late crest Wild Swan

yes they are powerful it's currently going round my layout with 13 coaches in tow 5 Pullmans and 8 Mk1s

everything on the A4 looks to be build to a much higher standard than the Brit that i had to return  :thumbsup:
even the wire connections between the loco and tender look like they are made to last (touches wood)  :smiley-laughing:

at this rate i may have to spend some more money when Flying Scotsman is released  :angel:

so when my layout built to represent lancashire in the mid-late 60s is finished it looks like plenty of railtours will be running  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  ;D

i got the silver fox :D and i agree the connections seem abit thicker on these
the flying scotsman should be a treat  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here